WHEN to take magnolia for sleep

JanH

Dr. Oz did a segment on using magnolia extract for sleep by reducing anxiety. He recommended 30 mg for six weeks. I ordered some and want to start taking it, but don't know about the timing. It says take it between meals for rapid effect, or with meals for prolonged effect, BUT I can't find anything about when to take it before I want to fall asleep. Any input?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've never taken magnolia for sleep, but if I take any herbs for sleep like valerian, chamomile, hops, passion flower, etc. I take one hour before going to bed. When I took skullcap for awhile for stress, I took it several times daily, away from food.

JanH

Original Poster
Thanks K2C! I tried the magnolia for the first time last evening and I went to sleep as quickly (yes, within about an hour) and stayed asleep for about five hours. Was up for my usual couple of hours around 3 a.m., then slept for another few. So, the magnolia seems to work as well as when I take an Advil PM, with I'm sure a lot less harm to my body.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I'll have to try it sometime! I won't use ibuprofin products, but I will use 1/2 to 1 tablet of Unisom, which is an antihistamine. I get the off-brand to save money, but that works very well too.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Thanks K2C! I tried the magnolia for the first time last evening and I went to sleep as quickly (yes, within about an hour) and stayed asleep for about five hours. Was up for my usual couple of hours around 3 a.m., then slept for another few. So, the magnolia seems to work as well as when I take an Advil PM, with I'm sure a lot less harm to my body.

I know of many that awaken around the 3am time. I wonder why that is? I hear husband getting up, then daughter and you know I am up too if I hear them. What is that about?

I've never hear of magnolia, either. Along with what kind2 mentioned, we have a product by enzymatic called Revitalizing Sleep that helps at times.

jbo

Dr. Oz did a segment on using magnolia extract for sleep by reducing anxiety. He recommended 30 mg for six weeks. I ordered some and want to start taking it, but don't know about the timing. It says take it between meals for rapid effect, or with meals for prolonged effect, BUT I can't find anything about when to take it before I want to fall asleep. Any input?
Funny I just ordered some Mangolia bark myself after a friend told me he heard about the show or maybe he saw the show himself. Have you tried melatonin? Just wondering how it compares.

I've tried passion flower, Valerian, chamomile, St. John's wart, melatonin (magnesium and calcium supplements). The two that seem to work the best for me is passion flower and melatonin so far. I have to take it about an hour before bed and if something happens and I'm not able to get to sleep within the hour, then it doesn't appear to help me sleep much. Seems like a schedule with waking up and an alarm for when to take the pills and the schedule to get into bed appear to be extremely important.

Looking forward to trying magnolia bark extract and the 6 weeks is because that's all the studies I guess have done. Webmd even states side effects for us of more than 6 weeks are unknown

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-188-MAGNOLIA.aspx?activeIngredientId=188&activeIngredientName=MAGNOLIA

JanH

Original Poster
I've taken melatonin for awhile but it doesn't seem to help me sleep. I've always thought that the middle-of-the-night wake ups, for me at least, come from the need to pee and hunger.

jfh

perpetual student
I have been taking "Sleep Tonight!" by Enzymatic Therapy for a couple of weeks. It contains a stress reducing blend, which is mainly ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is a natural beta-blocker and contains l-theanine. It also contains a cortisol reducing blend, which is mainly magnolia. And contains phosphatidylserine. 1 tablet and I'm ready for sleep in about 30 minutes.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I have been taking "Sleep Tonight!" by Enzymatic Therapy for a couple of weeks. It contains a stress reducing blend, which is mainly ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is a natural beta-blocker and contains l-theanine. It also contains a cortisol reducing blend, which is mainly magnolia. And contains phosphatidylserine. 1 tablet and I'm ready for sleep in about 30 minutes.
I like the Enzymatic products. Interesting blend there. Someone with adrenal fatigue could use this one.

jbo

I've taken melatonin for awhile but it doesn't seem to help me sleep. I've always thought that the middle-of-the-night wake ups, for me at least, come from the need to pee and hunger.
Have you tried time release? Melatonin I personally think needs to be time or middle of the night wake ups are more common. Not saying it won't happen, but I think time release really helps. Also I've tried everything from 1 gram to 10 grams and more doesn't necessarily mean it works better. I'm not sure if we get used to a certain dosage, but I've noticed sometimes more works and other times less works better.

jbo

I ordered from swanson a blend of Chamomile, Valerian root and hops as well as a bottle of magnolia bark. I took both pills last night and I honestly can't get over how well I slept last night. Not sure if it's the combination of both pills or if it's the magnolia bark, but I slept amazing. About 5 years ago I was on ambien, so I've tried almost everything to help improve my sleep and right now I'm pretty impressed with magnolia bark.

I'm not sure about long term effect, so I'm considering rotating between it and dual release melatonin. I was taking a 3mg time release of melatonin 1.5 then hours later it releases another 1.5, but after months and months and months of taking it, it doesn't appear to work like it used to. The magnolia bark or combination of chamomile, valarian root and hops had me sleeping really good. I woke up really refreshed as I haven't in awhile with a newborn crying at home.