Prevent Alzheimer's With Specific Nutrients

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
More information about how nutrients like Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Omega 3s, can help prevent Alzheimers.

First study to link nutrients in blood to brain shrinkage and dementia

In all, the research involved 104 people with an average age of 87 who had few risk factors for memory and thinking problems. Lab tests were performed to measure levels of various nutrients present in the blood of each research subject. All of the study participants also took cognitive tests to measure their memory and thinking skills and 42 had MRI scans to measure their brain volume. Vitamin B 12 and especially vitamin D were found to be the nutrients most lacking in the research subjects. In fact, a whopping 25 percent of all the research subjects had a deficit in vitamin D.

The study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the National Institute on Aging and National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Portland VA Medical Center, was the very first to look for nutrients in the blood to investigate how diet effects memory, thinking skills and brain volume.

Earlier studies have focused on only one or a few nutrients at a time and have used questionnaires to assess people's diets. But questionnaires are known to be somewhat unreliable; they rely on people's memory of what they've eaten and they also don't measure how well nutrients are absorbed by the body, which can be problematic in elders.

In a statement to the media, study author Gene Bowman, ND, MPH, of Oregon Health and Science University in Portland and a member of the American Academy of Neurology, said that the nutrient biomarkers in the blood accounted for a significant amount of the variation in both brain volume, thinking and memory scores. "These results need to be confirmed, but obviously it is very exciting to think that people could potentially stop their brains from shrinking and keep them sharp by adjusting their diet," Dr. Bowman stated.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Yes, but almost everyone has B12 and D3 deficiency, but almost everyone does not have Alzheimers. They are missing the boat with this study.

That is not to say that these vitamins are not essential to good brain health... but I think with Alzheimers, something more is going on and what they really need to look at is fats, IMHO, as well as metal toxins . Actally there may be a number of causes of this condition... I consider it a basket diagnosis until proven otherwise.

Have you ever seen anyone with beta amyloid plaque issues in their lungs and liver and epidermis? They exist.

Ted_Hutchinson

Yes, but almost everyone has B12 and D3 deficiency, but almost everyone does not have Alzheimers. They are missing the boat with this study.

That is not to say that these vitamins are not essential to good brain health... but I think with Alzheimers, something more is going on and what they really need to look at is fats, IMHO, as well as metal toxins . Actally there may be a number of causes of this condition... I consider it a basket diagnosis until proven otherwise.

Have you ever seen anyone with beta amyloid plaque issues in their lungs and liver and epidermis? They exist.
If you PM me an email I'll send a copy of this paper.
Multiple Sclerosis is Not a Disease of the Immune System?

I think the idea that metabolic dysfunction is at the root of many conditions is probably true and accounts not only for MS but also AD and Diabetes.
So improving your diet so correct these basic nutrient deficiencies and improve your body's ability to detoxify itself then you don't just delay the onset of AD but you also reduce the chance of many other conditions.
We can all go back to preparing our own meals from raw good quality ingredients.