What to Eat?

GaleM

Ever since I have been studying this nutrition/health connection, I have been finding so many conflicting bits of "knowledge" regarding what to eat.

Some say whole grains are very good.
Some say stay away from ALL grains. (Boy is that ever hard to do)

Some say eggs are good
Some say eggs are bad

Some say red meat is good (like grassfed beef)
Some say to avoid red meat
Some say to eat lots of red meat

Some say legumes (beans) are good
Some say legumes are bad

Some say potatoes are good
Some say potatoes are bad (high glycemic index)

Some say dairy is good
Some say dairy is bad (cheese??? c'mon, how can cheese be bad?)

Anyway, it is very hard for me to discern what is good, bad or indifferent and what I should be eating. The more I read about it, the more confused I become.

Gale

jfh

perpetual student
This probably should be in the Humor section Gale. ((just kidding)).

It's so funny how eggs are on and off and sometimes for years at a time. The evil little things. My opinion is that they are a perfect food, unless you have an intolerance.

You forgot coffee. Many studies say that it is good to drink one cup a day. Many studies say it is evil. Actually, that's the same for alcohol.

I don't think cheese is bad at all. Especially the harder cheeses like cheddar. The soft cheeses, like feta, may be bad for those who need to avoid lactose.

just me

i think everything needs to be proportion... My thinking is the closer you can get to all natural, the better.. the less man has messed with it, the better off we are. But I also think it depends on your own body... I think part of the blood type diet is correct. I am a meat eater, I do very poorly on just veggies. I am constantly cold and get alot of brain fog if I dont get my protein. On the other hand, if I eat alot of carbs, my body starts hurting, I have back pain and leg pain and just general feel like crap.. I believe we do eat too much meat, esp red meat... I think everything should be in moderation.... I would like to get to a point where we eat red meat once a week, chicken one day, fish one day maybe legumes one day, and no meat one day. that way our bodies wouldnt be overloaded... I also believe no one should eat processed milk or milk products, if you can get raw, so much better for you. Eggs should be free range organic... preferably from someone you know, and preferably not fed gmo food. I love my coffee, but my coffee hurts my body terribly, and apparently from an article I read, it helped me gain weight. So I am trying so very hard to stay away from it....
I think the biggest thing is that you have to learn to listen to your own body... learn what the foods do to you...learn whats wrong with your body and then learn what you need to fix it...For years I tried to stay away from meat, trying to go vegan... and it hurt my body, I was so protein deficient when I started learning about me, that doctors were shocked I was still walking. My body needs the protein....I am not cut out to be a vegan.... See what your body says about you, and then go from there.

pinballdoctor

The perfect diet would consist of lots of fresh organic fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, legumes, along with organic whole grains, clean filtered water, and decaffinated teas.

The majority of the fruits and veggies should be raw, with some being juiced. The whole grains should be free of fungi.

Foods to avoid include meat, dairy, processed food, sugar, artificial sweeteners, simple carbs, and anything deep fried.

No meat means no animal fats as well.

Eggs and coffee don't belong in this diet.

GaleM

Original Poster
See, there are several different opinions already. I will say that I have found that I need protein that I can't get on an all veggie diet. I buy free range, organic eggs, chicken and grass fed beef from a local farm and get most of my veggies from the farmers' market. I don't drink milk very often because I think factory produced milk is pretty worthless. Have been investigating raw milk, but to buy it, you have to buy a share of the cow and then you get 4 gallons a week! I am pretty sure I can't drink that much, but my college age son may be moving back in with me and he can certainly put away 4 gallons a week.

Coffee, yes I drink that, but not too much and I grind my own beans using about 2/3 decaf and 1/3 caffeinated. Starbucks does not know my name. I also drink a little wine. My friends own a wine store and I think they might have to lay off help if I didn't go :).

My biggest weakness might be chips and salsa at the local Mexican restaurant. Most of the time, I order ceviche to stay away from the fat.

After writing this all out, maybe I don't eat as poorly as I think I do.

Thrasymachus

I think you should adhere to Michael Pollan's simple food rules, these are the two main ones:

-- Eat real food, mostly plants. (And try to get as organic and local as possible.)
-- Do not eat products with weird names and food like substances that your grandparents would not have known about.

mommysunshine

I think it's good to see how food works with your body. I tried to juice and blend raw veggies but I had terrible bloat and discomfort afterwards. I did a lot of raw veggies and they just weren't digested well. I had to learn that my body needs veggies cooked.:oops:

Thrasymachus

If juiced and blended raw vegetables(especially greens) are making you uncomfortable that is because of general toxicity that you have that is being let out through gas, bloating, etc.

Ted_Hutchinson

I've just posted a link to a paleo style diet study and really it should be obvious that humans evolved to eat natural foods and not the highly refined carbohydrates, over sweetened, over processed foods that are available in commercially prepared foods in modern supermarkets.

So the nearer you can get to natural foods the better.

If you take the egg issue for example, the fact is that hens evolved to live outdoors eating insects bugs as well as grains and grass, so free range organic fed hens will produce a higher omega 3 eggs than indoor raised grain fed hens. I'm lucky to have a field and the space to keep my own hens but keeping your own poultry for eggs is becoming very popular in the UK.

Bear in mind the points I make in the other post about omega 3, vitamin d3 and magnesium and bear in mind that modern grain varieties (certainly in USA and UK, maybe not so much in France) have been bred to produce higher gluten content (more inflammatory) and more likely to cause celiac or gluten sensitivity, they also contain less zinc, iron, magnesium and copper. Similarly the mineral/vitamin/nutrient content of modern fruit and veg is not what it was even 50 yrs ago. Modern fruit varieties have been bred for sweetness and the fructose content is very much higher than previously and not confident that juicing fruit and drinking lots of it is healthy. Too much fructose.

mommysunshine

If juiced and blended raw vegetables(especially greens) are making you uncomfortable that is because of general toxicity that you have that is being let out through gas, bloating, etc.
If I knew for sure that my body was detoxing then I would be more willing to push through some discomforts from raw juiced veggies but from what I've come to understand it is the fiber and cell walls that my body isn't breaking down causing fermentation in my gut.

Thrasymachus, I'm open to hearing what your thoughts are on that.

Ted_Hutchinson

If I knew for sure that my body was detoxing then I would be more willing to push through some discomforts from raw juiced veggies but from what I've come to understand it is the fiber and cell walls that my body isn't breaking down causing fermentation in my gut.
It does take a while to change your gut flora community. Your current Bacteria population work together to repel new gut flora so it takes a while of being persistent when making changes to continue long enough to get the healthier new gut flora established.

This paper Gut Microbiota and Its Possible Relationship With Obesity may help you understand better why it's important to try to establish a healthy gut flora though they do thrive on the FIBRE in veggies so eating your veggies whole and raw rather than juiced is probably better.

Kelly Thundercloud

Humans are meant to eat from every food group. That's just it, eat everything...

But humans are meant to eat from nature...from trees, plants and animals. We are only meant to eat from things that are already presented to us by the earth. We are allowed to freely combine these as we please as long as we do not alter them from their original state.

So, basically, don't add synthetic chemicals to food. Don't eat anything that has been altered from nature. It's kinda hard when almost all the foods around us are full of man made chemicals. But try to do the best you can.

Don't EVER stay away from all grains! Whole grains are very good...much better than eating white bread that is half bread half chemicals. You can do a test. Soak a piece of bread in water and throw it at a wall or refrigerator. If the bread sticks to the wall, it's no good. If it crumbles and falls off, it's good. But don't ever think that grains are bad...You need them just as you need every other food group. Some people can't tollerate too many whole grains. I am very sensitive to fiber and I will get the runs from too much of it.

You need protein, you need meat, so eat eggs! :) Try to get your eggs from organic farms though. Otherwise you are eating eggs from chickens fed with who knows what!

What's wrong with beans? Were they not put on the earth for us to consume? As long as we are on the topic, coffee is a bean. What's so wrong with mixing it in water and drinking it? As long as it's organic...

Dairy????? I know I don't want brittle bones! That should answer that question!! As long as you aren't lactose intollerant...You're told as a kid to drink your milk for strong bones. I love dairy and I've had some pretty hard falls but never broken a bone in my life :D The only problem is the certain things that people mix into dairy products and also the fact that there are so many hormones in non-organic milk...ICK! I found out why I went through puberty at such a young age!!!!!

Anyway, sorry this got so long, but I hope it helps straighten things out a bit :D

D Bergy

I go by the simple logic of eating what makes me feel the best. When I deviate from this, I get into trouble.

I try to eat real food that people have ate for thousands of years. I eat a high protein diet, with plenty of meat and eggs. Not because any diet tells me to, but because it keeps me more healthy than when I was eating a lot of carbs.

My ancestors did not live in tropical region. Fruit was rare, and likely in the form of berries. Meat and fish was probably a staple, and grains were food eaten when nothing else was available to stave of starvation.

I do eat fruit and vegetables, but they are not the bulk of my diet.

No one diet fits everyone, but everyone can eat real food, at the very least.

Dan

Ted_Hutchinson

Humans are meant to eat from every food group. That's just it, eat everything...
But because plants don't want their babies to be eaten they protect their seeds with harmful substances.

But humans are meant to eat from nature...from trees, plants and animals. We are only meant to eat from things that are already presented to us by the earth. We are allowed to freely combine these as we please as long as we do not alter them from their original state.
but ignoring the fact that the protective mechanisms plants use to protect their future generations are as harmful as any chemical or pesticide may lead to an increasing amount of illness. We have bred dwarf varieties of wheat that are based on increased yield for the farmer and better milling characteristics for commercial processing and in doing so we have created a A dwarf mutant wheat that does more harm than good

Don't EVER stay away from all grains! Whole grains are very good...much better than eating white bread that is half bread half chemicals.
but only if you use TRADITIONAL varieties and FERMENT then in the TRADITIONAL way.
perhaps reading this example of how much preparation and skill has to be done to make some of their food safe to eat

Here is an article on sourdough fermentation to make heritage, not moderm, wheat varieties safer

Some people can't tollerate too many whole grains.
Indeed modern grains are not comparable with grains we've traditionally consumed after traditional methods of milling and fermenting. Modern wheats do not contain the same amounts of mineral like magnesium, zinc, copper, iron either that boost our immune system and help us deal with inflammation.

What's wrong with beans? Were they not put on the earth for us to consume? As long as we are on the topic, coffee is a bean. What's so wrong with mixing it in water and drinking it? As long as it's organic...
I don't think the mother bean plant wants her babies eaten any more than you do.
That is why beans protect their future generations and why if we want to consume their babies we should prepare those bean babies carefully to remove the antinutrients, particularly phytates and enzyme inhibitors, the bean parent puts into the seed to prevent predation.

mommysunshine

It does take a while to change your gut flora community. Your current Bacteria population work together to repel new gut flora so it takes a while of being persistent when making changes to continue long enough to get the healthier new gut flora established.

Would eating yogurt daily be enough to create a healthy gut bacteria? Homemade yogurt from grass-fed cows?

Ted_Hutchinson

Would eating yogurt daily be enough to create a healthy gut bacteria? Homemade yogurt from grass-fed cows?
Providing the rest of your diet is ANTI INFLAMMATORY and your vitamin d, omega 3 and magnesium status is reasonable.
The foods that promote inflammation are refined grains, particularly modern USA/UK dwarf wheat, sugar and hfcs and corn fructose, omega 6 seed oils such as corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower and cottonseed oil and all the commercial foods that contain them. The more inflammatory the digestive system is the less likely it will allow the good bacteria to thrive and the more those bacteria that promote inflammation and obesity will flourish.

However inflammation can be caused by many things including Fine Particles from urban pollution

Vitamin D, Curcumin (turmeric) omega 3 and magnesium all help your body deal with inflammation in the digestive system and will improve the odds of getting a population of lean type, anti inflammatory, gut bacteria established but it will take time and any use of antibiotic will make your work much harder which is why it's so important to keep your natural immune status as high as possible.

Kelly Thundercloud

Ok Ted, so explain to me why humans existed so many years before we were able to alter plant chemicals, if these plants were so very harmful to us. Do we not have our own natural defenses as well? Is not nature all a big fight for staying alive, going back and forth between different species? Isn't this how the natural world is supposed to work?

Thrasymachus

Wheat is not healthy, any worthy health expert will tell you the same.

The food groups and famous food pyramid are fake constructs of the American food industry and agribusiness at the turn of the 20th Century to teach the population and especially children to eat as much of each group to preserve their relative standing in the market. Thus saying to eat from each group is really crap advice.

Su Lee

I will go for the following:

1. Drink enough water- 30ml per kg of body weight
  2. Eat at least 5 portions of colorful fruits and vegetables which provides you the vitamin, minerals, fiber and complex carbohydrates.
  3. Eat more protein from plant such as legumes, nuts and seeds which is more efficiently digested and absorbed into the body
  4. Avoid can and processed food as they are loaded with additives

Last edited:

Ted_Hutchinson

Ok Ted, so explain to me why humans existed so many years before we were able to alter plant chemicals, if these plants were so very harmful to us.
Because back then people didn't live as long.
Your only genetic reason to live is to reproduce, so after you've done that and your kids have got to the age when they can reproduce, you are no longer genetitally useful as far as evolution is concerned.

So if you drop dead in your 40's that's no problem as far as the human species is concerned although I accept it is a problem for you and your family.

It's old fogies like me who want to stay active and fit in their retirement that are such a drain on society. In the past people didn't generally live long enough after they stopped work to get Alzhiemer's or Cancer, now we all live longer and prefer not to die young, we have to take greater care of our bodies and pay attention to the nutrient density/quality of our foods.

Do we not have our own natural defenses as well?
Indeed we have an innate immune function that tries to deal with pathogens but this is fundamentally controlled by Vitamin D status and health professionals (in order to increase the amount of health care we require) provide advice that tends to scare us from laying naked in the midday sun (the best time to raise 25(0H)D levels as that's when most UVB is present), they tell us to lower our cholesterol (it's older people with the highest cholesterol that live longest) and it's the cholesterol in our skin that is converted to vitamin D. Hence if you want to generally lower natural immune function to increase the amount of illness generally, the best way to do so is to reduce cholesterol levels and also tell people to stay out of the sun or use sunscreen.

Is not nature all a big fight for staying alive, going back and forth between different species? Isn't this how the natural world is supposed to work?
Sure but the changes that are determining modern food choices are those naturally determined by humans plants and animals. We have messed with the natural order by inserting money and greed into food production so we pay farmers a subsidy on the amount they produce so now modern grain isn't what is best for human health but what produces the highest yield at the lowest cost. It doesn't matter to the farmer if you get Alzhiemer's when you are old because the wheat you've been eating is higher in pro inflammatory gluten (and other allergens) and lower in magnesium, zinc, iron, copper but it does matter to you and your family.

The same goes for meat/dairy.

Cows, sheep, pigs all lived outdoors when I was a boy, now these are more efficiently produced indoors with the food they eat being pelleted first rather than just grazing natural grass. So supermarket meat is higher in inflammatory omega 6 and lower in anti inflammatory omega 3. This leads to the pathogenic bacteria that thrive in an inflammatory environment taking over your digestive system leading to increased obesity while the gut flora that are less effective at extracting calories from food decline. So raising inflammatory status leads to greater illness and obesity but the farmers producing food are paid by the amount of food they produce, not by how good that food is.

I can't see how we are going to turn the situation around because the vested interests behind the drugs industry are so powerful they can manipulate the information provided to health professionals and most people prefer to get health advice from health professionals and don't spend time reading the research and thinking whether or not it meets the basic standards of common sense.

I've not littered this post with links but if you want to see the research supporting any of the claims please ask. I can bore you to death on the cholesterol lowering scam.

Do bear in mind that total meat avoidance is not sustainable in the long run.
It's perhaps time people understood the importance of choline

GaleM

Original Poster
Ted, I am mostly in agreement with what you have said here. I believe that the food industry has succeeded in its quest to produce more and more food, but to the detriment of actually providing nutrition. I live in an area where there are many advertisements for various types of seed stocks for farms. The ads all talk about how the seeds have been genetically modified to produce more, resist (plant) disease and the various types of herbicides that can be used along with them to keep weeds out of the fields. Where is the nutritional benefit???

I buy my eggs, chicken and most beef from a local farm that raises stock like farmers did years ago-outside on grass. Most of my vegetable come from organic local farms in season, but it is bit more difficult to do that in the winter.

I intend to read the links Ted has posted in this thread because I am very interested in this type of discussion and believe it will only serve to improve my health and well being.

I have the same confusion over food,ive read positive and negative opinions on Everything,really though its confusing and at the end of the day you research research and end up nowhere...

What i realised is that there is such thing as the best food,and that would be Vegetables,all of them but most importantly ALIVE,so that means no preserved altered genetically or however Vegetables,only alive fresh Vegetables have absolutely no bad reviews anywhere ive read...

next one is fruits,although fruits contain sugar so if you have cancer,candida that has to go too...so its not a 10 again :/

so my chart as far as food goes up untill now goes like this...for now

Vegetables 10/10
Fruits 9.5/10

and so on and so on...after comes honey,beans and such,and more

Ted_Hutchinson

so my chart as far as food goes up untill now goes like this...for now

Vegetables 10/10
Fruits 9.5/10
My order of priority would be
1) FAT = Coconut oil, grass raised butter, lard, beef dripping.
2) Protein = free range eggs from pastured hens, lamb beef pork from outdoor raise animals.
3) VEGETABLES mainly above ground from organic (preferably home grown/local sourced) sources.
4) Fruit as in season mainly berries

Because I damaged my metabolism by spending too many years eating low fat, low calorie foods I now find it difficult to cope with grains/pulses. Bear in mind there are NO ESSENTIAL CARBOHYDRATES required for human metabolism.

I think it's possible people living in traditional cultures, in rural situations, getting optimum amounts of UV exposure and while consuming locally produced traditionally grown vegetable/pulses/grains will be able to consume these safely (they have the gut flora locally adapted to deal with these foods) I do not think it's safe to assume that because people in traditional cultures consuming high carbohydrate diets without problems it's safe for people in Western cities (suffering from various forms of pollution, using supermarket sourced foods, while eating large amounts of processed foods can safely consume large amounts of the same foods.

We have to bear in mind that modern birthing techniques for many avoids the traditional birth channel and therefore babies do NOT acquire their mothers gut flora, similarly the absence/short duration of breast feeding is insufficient to establish traditional cultural gut flora.

Top 10 Nutritional Mistakes