Natural Remedies for Dry, Itchy Winter Skin Problems

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I'm already using the omega 3 and coconut oil, which helps with healthy skin. Here's some things you can do to avoid dry, itchy, winter skin problems...

Winter Got You Feeling Dry and Itchy? Virtually All the Rescue Remedies Can Be Found in Your Kitchen

Reduced humidity combined with colder temperatures tends to wreak havoc on your skin. Many suffer with dry, scaly, itchy skin during winter months even if they don’t have a diagnosable skin problem like eczema.

This is commonly referred to as “winter itch,” caused when your skin is depleted of moisture. Fortunately, there are simple and inexpensive remedies for this problem.

While conventional advice typically includes using petrolatum-based moisturizers, I recommend avoiding creams with petrolatum or mineral oils due to their carcinogenic potential. Mineral oil is also comedogenic, meaning it blocks your pores and your skin’s natural respiration process, which can lead to blackheads and pimples.

It’s important to remember that your skin is the largest organ of your body, and nearly everything you put on it is readily absorbed. Therefore, avoiding slathering anything on your skin that you wouldn’t consider eating is rather sage advice.

I firmly believe you need to approach topical skin care as you approach your diet, and only feed your skin the best ingredients from nature, forgoing toxic chemicals at all costs.

Previous research has shown that women absorb an estimated five pounds of chemicals a year just from the makeup they use! Two effective remedies against dry, itchy winter skin that I will address here are:

Getting sufficient amounts of animal-based omega-3 fats in your diet, and
Using coconut oil to moisturize your skin

In addition to that, I’ll also point out some other dietary measures that can make a big difference—and of course we can’t forget about drinking water to stay hydrated.

Read more here: https://healthimpactnews.com/2013/cure-dry-winter-skin-naturally/

JodyS

Me and my kids use a hand cream called PAB or, there's another one called Ultimate Hand PAB. It's main ingredient is Tree Resin, with Organic Beeswax and Olive Oil. It is hard to find online, but can be found if you google "PAV SUPER PAB." It's at the esthealth website. Can't say enough about the results my family have had with these Tree Resin products.

jfh

perpetual student
PAV, native American tree resin (NATR), has been around for a long time. I used it years ago for toe fungus. I still have some that still is active. Very long shelf life. Unfortunately for me, it gives me a rash. I must be allergic to the source tree or the resin. But there are many nearly miraculous healing stories about it.

Sure is messy though. Natrhealth is where I get mine.

JodyS

My kids and animals have done great with the PAV/Super PAV, but I have switched to PAB since it does not contain the petrolatum and instead the organic beeswax. My skin likes that one better..

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I have deep fissures/cracks in fingertips. So very painful and sometimes bleed when you least expect. They are similar to very bad and DEEP paper cuts...take days to go away.

First there is a slight burning sensation, while the skin rips open. Sometimes on thumbs and index fingers making it virtually impossible to zip, tie, open packages without alot of pain and some bleeding at times.

Began happening within the last five years I would say. Same with ex-husband.

Never as a child, young adult...etc.

Take good care of health. Good diet. Good supplements or so I thought.

Could this be candida overgrowth?

d0ug

The winter months people eat more grains and less fresh vegetables and for people with gluten intolerance makes it even worse. Skin problems are a sign of a gluten intolerance.

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I don't eat gluten. If I can help it :)

Organic. Grass fed/finished bison/beef. Trying to go more veggie and fruits. Raw dairy.

I just don't get it. ?? Soon as it warms up - everything heals and all is fine.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Happy, if you can sleep with gloves on, I would slather my hands with a thick Vitamin E or Shea Butter cream before bed a couple of nights in a row, and that should help.

I've used some that I bought in 16 oz. jars from Sam's Club years back. I have the Genes brand Vitamin E Swiss Collagen cream that also has vitamin A and D in it. I put it on my feet around once a month for a couple of nights, wrap saran wrap around the feet and put on socks. Not that comfortable, but effective for rough, dry, cracking heels.

Another thing is to take a spoonful of unrefined virgin coconut daily internally, I've been doing that for a long time, and I noticed that my legs, around the shins, that was always dry and needing lotion, is now not dry looking or feeling at all.

jfh

perpetual student
I just don't get it. ?? Soon as it warms up - everything heals and all is fine.
As soon as it warms up, you are probably getting more sun exposure. As we age, we don't synthesize vitamin D from the sun as much as we did when younger. Supplements are necessary. And vitamin D is very beneficial for skin as well as bones. Consider silica as well. ie. diatomaceous Earth.