Flaxseed for Omega 3 Needs

jbo

recently my dad's doctor told him that he shouldn't be take fish oil, becasue of bad things in fish oil. I'm not sure about this, but I take it everyday because of joint issues, but every morning during the week I put flax seed oil in my shakes.

I read a few months ago that flax seed oil doesn't have the same benefits as fish oil.

Ted_Hutchinson

Haven't time for a fully researched reply but ground flax meal is an important source of minerals and useful stuff but very little of the ALA is converted to omega 3 EPA and even less ends up as DHA so it cannot be relied on as a source of omega 3.
I think we should all be thinking as much about reducing sources of omega 6 as increasing sources of omega 3. Omega 6 overwhelms omega 3 above ratios of 5 to one and as many people currently consume around 20 times more omega 6 (corn.soy oils etc) than omega 3 it's important to cut that intake while increasing the omega 3.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
recently my dad's doctor told him that he shouldn't be take fish oil, becasue of bad things in fish oil. I'm not sure about this, but I take it everyday because of joint issues, but every morning during the week I put flax seed oil in my shakes.

I read a few months ago that flax seed oil doesn't have the same benefits as fish oil.
Your dad's doc is wrong or a pimp of pfizer. One of my dads docs said 1200 mg twice a day, the others are so so. Get the high purity fish oil (sometimes called distilled fish oil) for him.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Now Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've been using, for a looooong time now, the NOW brand liquid lemon flavored Omega 3 Fish Oil. The bottle reads "This natural fish oil is molecularly distilled and manufactured in Norway under strict quality control standards. It is tested to be free of potentially harmful levels of contaminants (i.e. mercury, heavy metals, PCB's, dioxins, and other contaminants). Manufactured in a pharmacuetically licensed facility"

One teaspoon full equals 1.4g (1400mg) of omega 3 fatty acids
- EPA - 740mg
- DHA - 475mg
- Other omega 3 fatty acids - 185mg

I usually take 2 teaspoons per day. I just picked up another 7 oz bottle for $12.99, it's available much cheaper online, especially in the larger bottles.

EarlyBird

I use ground flax seeds & sometimes add Chia seeds too for my omega 3's.
I gave up fish oil several years ago. I do miss eating good healthy seafoods but hard to find the good stuff. :-x

majbsb

please dont forget that ground up linseed or Flax for our American friends is a great source of fibre too.

jomyr

Natural Factors, Omega Factors, Flaxseed Oil, 1000 mg,

It has been discovered that the omega-3 fat and high fiber in flax may play a role in the fight against diabetes:) so it means it is a good combination.