Flax Seed Nutritional Benefits

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've been adding a tablespoonful of Flax Seeds to my morning (plain) greek yogurt, along with organic lemon juice (Italian Volcano) and raw, unfiltered wildflower honey. Currently I'm using "Flax USA" organic golden, cold milled flax seed (from Costco). Serving size is 2 tbls. which equal 2800mg Omega-3, 3g. protein, 4g fiber and gluten free.

Flax is one of nature's richest plant source of Omega 3 fattey acids. The oils in flaxseeds are over 50% alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Lignans are plant estrogens or phytoestrogens which offer powerful properties. Flax has 75 times more than any other plant foods.

ALA/Omega 3 = 2800mg
Linoleic Acid (LA/Omega 6) = 850mg
Oleic Acid (OA/Omega 9) = 1,000mg
Lignans = 120mg

Flax seeds resemble sesame seeds and size is little larger than sesame
seeds and it is botanically called as Linum usitatissimum, that means
it is most useful for health as it possess more nutritional value than
other seeds. Flax seeds shell is hard in nature with shining and smooth
appearance and color varies from reddish to amber as per the variety of
brown or gold flax seeds. Flax seeds produce warm and earthy smell and
ungrounded seeds give soft crunch, but grounded flax seeds are
considered best for nutrition purpose in general. Flax seeds originated
from Mesopotamia and were used by ancient Greeks, Romans, as they were
recognized the nutritive value, and after that it had spread over
Europe countries. Flax seeds are grown and found in North America,
Unites States of America and Canada, and now Canada is the largest
producer of flax seeds commercially.

Nutritional profile of Flax Seeds; highly concentrated lignan
phytonutrients are found in flax seeds. Flax seeds comprise many
essential minerals namely, iron, phosphorous, manganese, copper,
magnesium, sodium and vitamins like Vitamin B1 and fatty acids,
tryptophan, amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids,
soluble and insoluble dietary fiber and other traces of Vitamins,
antioxidants, and minerals, all contribute to promote general health.

Flax seeds Nutritional Benefits; Ground Flax seeds reduce LDL
cholesterol and triglycerides, improve heart health, lower the risk of
cardiovascular disorders, and prevent hypertension, prevent heart
strokes, prevent plaque deposits in arteries, lowers blood clotting
time, due to the presence of antioxidants, if the dosage is taken as
suggested by Health Care Professionals, as studies proved. Flax seeds
regulate glucose levels due to the rich content of Omega-3 fatty acids
and dietary fiber, thus preventing diabetes and as such diabetic
patients are advised by health care experts, to take ground flax seeds
as the dose suggested by them, in order to check diabetes. (from ideas4health)

jfh

perpetual student
Flax oil is fragile, and should be taken as fresh as possible. For example, eat the seeds or grind them prior to eating.

Men should consider chia seeds instead, if they are concerned about phytoestrogens. But beer (hops) contain pytoestrogens too. Just not near as much as flax.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Flax oil is fragile, and should be taken as fresh as possible. For example, eat the seeds or grind them prior to eating.
The flax I have is cold-milled, so it is ground without overheating. I'm keeping it refrigerated, even though it says on the bag that it's not neccessary, hope this is good enough and that the oil within the seeds isn't too fragile. :?

jfh

perpetual student
Yes. I believe refrigeration is necessary. This is why I would not order via mail. Same for probiotics.

jbo

i started eating grounded flaxseeds everyday as well, mostly because I saw it on a few lists of foods you should eat everyday. I put it in a shake every morning and my brother-in-law has tried so many things to lower his cholestrol and said that was the only thing that lowered his cholestrol

jbo

Men should consider chia seeds instead, if they are concerned about phytoestrogens. But beer (hops) contain pytoestrogens too. Just not near as much as flax.
Never noticed your post before. I was in between chia seeds and flax seeds to add to my morning shake and I went for the grounded flax seeds mostly because there was less research on chia than flax and the price was a little less expensive. Being a man I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision and if I should go with chia when my bag runs out?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
The flax I have says it has Lignans. Lignans are plant estrogens or phytoestrogens which offer powerful properties. Many plant foods have some lignans, but flax has at least 75 times more than any other. I can't think of other products I've used with Lignans, but I always thought the more the better...but maybe just for women?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
seems like maybe flax is better for women and chia is better for men?
That's my take, Jfh always has good information for us. My husband wasn't using the flax at all, and I'll keep it that way. He does like those Kombucha drinks with the Chia though, will stick with things like that for him.

jbo

I have a lot of flax seeds that it's probably going to take me a month or two to go through, but when I'm done I'll give chia a try next time I order it.

Appreciate all the info from you guys

Beach Man

For even more powerful effects, read about Flax Hull Lignans. After thoroughly checking out the following sites, particularly the first one, I think you may want to give them a try whether you're a man or a woman. At the second Link, to find the Flax Hull Lignans, place your cursor on the Flax Products tab on the tool bar at the upper left of the page and click on the Link that appears for the product. Note that some of the products are properly certified Organic as well as Kosher:

https://www.flaxhullignans.com

https://www.flaxlignanhealth.com

Beach Man

For even more powerful effects, read about Flax Hull Lignans. After thoroughly checking out the following sites, I think you may want to give them a try whether you're a man or a woman. At the second Link, to find the Flax Hull Lignans, place your cursor on the Flax Products tab on the tool bar at the upper left of the page and click on the Link that appears for the product. Note that some of the products are properly certified Organic as well as Kosher:

https://www.flaxhullignans.com

https://www.flaxlignanhealth.com
The articles at the following Links also provide excellent information about the health benefits of flax and flax hull lignans.

https://silverbulletin.utopiasilver.com/flax-hull-lignans-may-the-the-most-promising-anti-cancer-breakthrough

https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2014/3/Flax-A-Wealth-Of-ALA-And-Lignansl/Page-01

The article at the below Link includes an excellent analysis/itemized listing of the ingredients in their concentrated flax hull lignans product:

https://www.ndinnovations.com