Dentist told me to knock off diet soda

7Destiny

I hadn't been able to give up one or two diet sodas a day even though I knew it wasn't great drink. But in my last dental visit, the dentist asked what I drank during the day, and strongly discouraged diet soft drinks. He said they contain three kinds of acid!

His recommendation was green tea, water, and wine. I found an organic strawberry rose green tea and have been enjoying it iced with stevia the last few days.

7Destiny

Original Poster
I like sparkling water! I have used it with flavored stevia as well.

The additional health benefits of green tea interest me but the taste doesn't. I was happy to find a variety that tastes good to me.

Gnomenclature

Acid is acid. That comes from the bubbles -- not the sweetener.

And it doesn't just mess up your teeth. Women who drink soda are more prone to osteoporosis, as the Calcium slowly gets leached from your bones.

I do drink bubbly stuff sometimes in the summer, but rarely. I drink Perrier water and put a squirt of lime juice in it. No calories. Really, it doesn't need any.

As for fake sweeteners, I recommend the book Excitotoxins.

Someday someone might discover (or maybe just admit) there's a link between dementia in the elderly and consumption of excitotoxins. That is, if real science can happen and anyone would pony up the grant money to do it. *sigh*

Gnomenclature

The additional health benefits of green tea interest me but the taste doesn't. I was happy to find a variety that tastes good to me.
Yeah, I have not been a fan of green tea either until my son returned from his first trip to Japan and told me some of their green tea looks brownish. At first I thought it was just cheap green tea, but then I went into the Japanese aisle at the local market and found they roast green tea, and I do like that.

7Destiny

Original Poster
In case this benefits anyone else, I discovered I was drinking too much green tea at five cups a day. I was running to the bathroom too many times! I had read about people drinking green tea throughout the day and never considered there might be a limit. Your results may vary! This article recommends two to three cups a day.

https://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm

jbo

In case this benefits anyone else, I discovered I was drinking too much green tea at five cups a day. I was running to the bathroom too many times! I had read about people drinking green tea throughout the day and never considered there might be a limit. Your results may vary! This article recommends two to three cups a day.

https://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm
I've heard people recommend 10 cups a day. If you google green tea 10 cups, you'll see links with a lot of recommendation of 10 cups a day. Green tea has caffeine even a little bit I try to limit it to only the morning to improve my sleeping. I also think it's probably healthier to get variety in not just what you eat, but also what you drink. I mostly drink green tea on the weekdays in the morning and oolong in the morning on the weekends. Anything in the PM I drink rooibos tea. I honestly think rooibos is underrated

7Destiny

Original Poster
I have heard similar! I have read that people drink green tea all day, cup after cup. I was surprised at my reaction (and it took me over a week to figure out what was going on) because I don't have sensitive digestion and never a bad reaction to supplements or foods.

I will definitely be adding more variety.

mommysunshine

My husband had unexplained headaches over the weekends and we were able to link it to his drinking green tea all day at work then withddrawing on the weekend when he stopped. The caffeine. See how your body reacts.