Dad is sick again. No clue

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I came home from work last wed ready to take him to the gym where he has been making improvements and he was in the chair, he fell earlier and was unstable. He could barely walk and I called the orthopedic doc who said not an emergency (^$#@#%%#%). I took him to the internist thursday who said it could be an ear infection (amoxicillin since last thursday afternoon, no improvement overall). he was ok friday and seriously fatigued yesterday. This moring he was initially fine and an hr later was dizzy and wobbly. We are going back to the internist tomorrow. Any suggestions?

BigAl

Saved1986, I had vertigo in 2008. I fell and broke my hip. Since then I've been taking ginger root caps which stopped the vertigo.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Thanks Big Al I have him on ginger root and yes, he did break his hip in june, and a ton of other health issues popped up (emphysema and CHF). The CHF is under control and the emphysema is bad but not horrible. He was up to 0.45 miles on a treadmill and 30 minutes on an exercise bike: and then last wed he fell, has dizzy spells and is fatigued.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
At this point it really could be anything, either very simple or very complex. Could be his heart, maybe he needs oxygen, perhaps he's having mini strokes.

In general it sounds like your dad is in a steady decline for quite a while now. Often after a broken hip they are never the same again and this is how things tend to look and go. Can't make any suggestions unless the doc can figure out what the problem is.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Hi Saved, sorry to hear your dad's sick again, it sounded for awhile like he was doing pretty good. I'm with BigAl on the Vertigo, first thing that popped into my mind. :(

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
His internist checked for mini strokes. He was on the upswing for months and then it was immidiate.

just me

WATER!!! WATER!!! Pedialyte! water.... How much water is he drinking... Unfortunately older people think they drink alot, but in reality, they usually dont.. Then lots of older folks (esp men) dont drink because they have trouble getting to the bathroom fast enough.. Talk to him, is there a way that you can figure out how much he is drinking.. If he admits to not drinking becus cant get to the bathroom fast enough, get him a urinal to keep beside his chair, or with him... dad use to carry his on his walker everywhere around the house. Which sometimes caused for embarrassing situation, but we worked around it...

I do agree with Arrow, it could be the TIA's. I was under the understanding that doctors couldnt tell if a person was having a TIA unless they saw it... When Dad had them, he would be really weak and unbalanced for a day or two, and gradually gain his strength back. But never gained all his strength back, was noticably weaker ever time. It could be an ear infection... might try some of the ear treatments we have on here... I would go down the list... did you start any new meds. Is he taking meds by himself, could he be messing up on taking his meds? Like either forgetting to take them, or possibly forgetting that he has already taken something, and so taking it again??? Definitly check the amount of water he is drinking, and what about his food intake, is he eating? eating enough? Too hot in the house? Getting enough sleep? all of these things had caused my dad-in-law problems.. we just needed to work on each situation as it occured... Working with elderly parents is always hard, partially because they dont remember as well as we think we do, partially because they dont want us to worry, so they tell us the answer they think we want to hear...Just keep investigating, and try not to lose your patience.... Slow and steady... just keep loving him and keep doing the best you can for him... In the long run you both will be forever thankful

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Is he taking D3? low D3 levels cause pelvic weakness in the elderly and contribute to falls. Get his level checked even if he is taking some

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
He is on lasix (20mg once a day) and he takes his pills with water in the morning and evening. I will increase his water intake and he is open to things like that. (He does keep a urinal by his chair also) He is on amoxicillan for a possible ear infection (since thursday). Yesterday, I put an organic apple, a kiwi, some grapes and frozen berries in the vitamix and he did drink that (bioflavanoids are good for vessel strength). He also has a galss of OJ a day (also a glass of root beer unfortuantely) . Also, he has insomnia and has to catch up on his sleep every morning.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Is he taking D3? low D3 levels cause pelvic weakness in the elderly and contribute to falls. Get his level checked even if he is taking some

His D was low in august and the doc gave him 50,000 IU daily for 30 days and then 1 week after that.

Just me: You rock! I was giving him magnesium once a week for awhile and have not the last 2 weeks. When I get home tonight I will give him the magnesium drink (ionic fizz magnesium). I am sure if he is on lasix, is is urinating out more magnesium and blood tests which show normal magnesium are not always correct. He is also on potassium supplements.

athletic dept

Saved 1986 get your father off antibiotics! Antibiotics should only be used in a life and death situation never for a "just in case" scenario.
Antibiotics kill all bacteria including those in the gut. Normally a person has trillions of them weighing about 3 pounds. Taking antibiotics kill these off and then the person has nothing to digest food with and extract nutrients. That is why he is so weak. He needs to take high quality probiotics to repopulate his gut.
I think it is medical malpractice for doctors to hand out antibiotics like candy-they really do more harm than good.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Saved 1986 get your father off antibiotics! Antibiotics should only be used in a life and death situation never for a "just in case" scenario.
Antibiotics kill all bacteria including those in the gut. Normally a person has trillions of them weighing about 3 pounds. Taking antibiotics kill these off and then the person has nothing to digest food with and extract nutrients. That is why he is so weak. He needs to take high quality probiotics to repopulate his gut.
I think it is medical malpractice for doctors to hand out antibiotics like candy-they really do more harm than good.
Hey, I agree. I have some ohiras probiotics which I will start him on again starting friday (are they ok to take with antibiotics?).

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
No they are not! Antibiotics kill the probiotics. Get him off the antibiotics first. The sooner the better.
I agree, but we have a doc appt thursday morning. Today is day 6 of the antibiotics. I will talk to him when I get home and see what he wants to do. The antibiotics obviously did not help.

pinballdoctor

My thoughts exactly.

Antibiotics weaken the immune system, and that is something your dad doesn't need right now. In fact, he needs to strengthen his immune system, and that starts by taking alot of D3, C, magnesium, and iodine.

Ted_Hutchinson

His D was low in august and the doc gave him 50,000 IU daily for 30 days and then 1 week after that.

Just me: You rock! I was giving him magnesium once a week for awhile and have not the last 2 weeks. When I get home tonight I will give him the magnesium drink (ionic fizz magnesium). I am sure if he is on lasix, is is urinating out more magnesium and blood tests which show normal magnesium are not always correct. He is also on potassium supplements.
The RX form of vitamin D is D2.
D2 ERGOCALCIFEROL simply makes matters worse as it speeds up the catabolism of the vitamin.

BIOTECH 50,000IU is far better as it's already in the form human skin makes and therefore does not cause this problem as there is no unnecessary processing required.
2 TWO of these 5000iu = 10,000iu EVERY DAY until his 25(OH)D is above 60ng/ml should help. Meanwhile get as much skin exposed to midday sunlight as possible without causing sunburn. IHERB $5 discount code WAB666, US folk may find (depending on shipping, Amazon/vitacost cheaper. UK readers keep order below £18 to avoid tax & PO handling extortion ransom demand.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Yesterday I gave him a magnesium drink (300 mg), a seaweed capsule (1000 mcg iodine), vitamin C (five hundred mgs) and 2 ginger root caps. This morning I gave him a fifty thou D (prescription), an eyevite, a coQ and 2 more ginger caps. I have also been giving more water. (He was somewhat better this morning)

I did mention to him the antibiotics are not doing anything and we need to get off of them and back on ohiras probiotic capsules. He said lets wait to talk to the doc tomorrow.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Ted, I will stop the D2 and get him on D3s. I gave him a D2 this morning, but will talk to him (he is open minded).

Ted_Hutchinson

Ted, I will stop the D2 and get him on D3s. I gave him a D2 this morning, but will talk to him (he is open minded).
Don't stop the D2 until you have D3 in your possession. While I don't approve of it's use it may be better than nothing.WEEKLY 50000iu D2= 15000IU/D3 = DAILY 2143iu and therefore isn't sufficient.
Elderly people NEED MORE vitamin D than do younger folk
Perhaps consider 1 x 50000iu/D2 every third day until the D3 arrive.
Then swap to ONE 50,000iu a week = 7000iu/daily approx.
Do continue with the magnesium.
Magnesium is best absorbed in smaller amounts through the day although it's absolutely fine in a drink.

I'd be happier if the vit c were through the day and in a time release formulation as it's half life is measured in minutes (30) once absorbed so 1g time release every 8~12hrs is far more effective at raising Vit C status.
The paragragh above comes from Hickey Roberts Ascorbate

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Ted, thank you. I have the 5000IU D3 from iherb. Also, thanks for the mag info. I will give him the drink twice a day in 1/2 quantities. As for the C, the eyevite has 250mgs (morning) and I will give him a 500mg C in the afternoon.

I just ordered mag citrate from iherb (supposedly very well absorbed) and now I am giving him Ionic Fizz (basically mag carbonate and citric acid which fizzes when water is added as the citric acid reacts with the carbonate). I discovered the ionic fizz a couple yrs ago and noticed when I take it, that I sleep really well. 2 yrs ago in florida a friend came to visit and she mentioned she could not sleep so I gave her a dose of ionic fizz and it worked. Another friend was seriously stressed out and had severe insomnia so I mailed him a few pakets and he said he slept 10 hrs and fell asleep quite fast.

I definitely believe that most people are deficient in mag and my dad is on lasix and eats few green leafy veggies.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I would also suggest pretty high levels of coq10 enzyme, like 100 mg 3 x day inlight of his CHF and other chronic diseases

Most people do not realize that when people are getting ready to die, which happens months or even years before it actually happens the complex enzyme functions significantly decrease. This activity could have really been instigated by surgery..

There are many many enzyme functions that go down. Coenzyme q10 is only one of them that we can just happen to supplement. Taking minerals can also stimulate these enzyme pathways as well as just taking nutritional enzymes during AND BETWEEN MEALS.

We have a lot to learn about this enzyme stuff that is not yet known.
Heel homeopathics makes an enzyme stimulator product that is suppose to stimulate some of these pathways. I do not know if its work but I guess somebody thinks they work. Symptoms associated with blocked enzymatic systems including malaise, exhaustion, fatigue, stress and slow metabolism. as it is a major product in their protocols. They are a significant part of Rekeweg type homeoapthy. You can find them at iherb.com and it is called coenzyme compositum.

They also make a product called cocculus compositum which is effective on some forms of dizziness. also at iherb.com Please put my code number in if you order if you are inclined.. it is BAR967

Ted_Hutchinson

Arrowwind09 is quite right about the function of enzymes.

That's one of the reasons failure to correct magnesium deficiency is so dangerous.

The miracle of magnesium sets it out clearly.

The fundamental point it that these enzyme actions need both switching on and switching off at the right time and magnesium is essential as the critical switch operator.

That's why a shortage of magnesium may result in a myriad of different symptoms depending on which particular enzyme action is most severely affected.

I don't think most people appreciate how modern fast growing cultivars aren't in the ground long enough to absorb the amount of magnesium older slower maturing varieties contained OR that modern milling and refining techniques remove the little magnesium that is present, thats apart from the fact it's a water soluble substance and year on year more gets washed away so soil becomes depleted.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Original Poster
Went home 2 hrs ago. Gave him a 1/2 mag drink, a small Vit C (120 mg organic) and asked him if it was ok to stop the antibiotics (he has been on them since last thursday, if there was an ear issue, results should have been seen by now). He was cool with that so I also gave him an Ohira's probiotic cap (will increase tomorrow) and made him some pureed apple, grape, forzen berries.

What bothers me is the magnesium. Even if blood tests say normal, it can actually be quite low.

Arrowwind, I give him 100mg regular CoQ and 50mg upiquinone .

jfh

perpetual student
What bothers me is the magnesium. Even if blood tests say normal, it can actually be quite low.
You'd probably recognize this by increasingly soft defecation. This can also depend upon the magnesium binding, which you may be using.

Mag malate (malic acid) will elevate the ATP, the energy of the cells. My favorite.

Mag chloride is more bio-available and best when given transdermally, bypassing the digestive system. Mag citrate (citric acid) is next best.

Mag oxide would be very bad if taken frequently. It is the cheapest form; but will be converted to mag hydroxide in the amazing chemical factory body. That will chemically burn the digestive tissue. This is why you would get diarrhea faster.

Remember that magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker; so it is best to take it separately from a calcium supplement or calcium food. Both elements are essential.