Baking soda daily...ok or bad?

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
I have been reading different articles for some time about the benifits of baking soda (sodium bicarb) and have weened my self daily "tums" type antacids (which I think is good) by using baking soda, I probably use about a tsp daily (I take approx. 1/4 tsp a few times a day).

I monitor my saliva and urine ph once a week or so and when I started monitoring a year ago or so my urine ran around a 5 - 6 (which I thought was not that bad) but I used to get urinary tract infections quite often, and read a article about using baking soda...at first I was using probably 2-3 tsp daily that kept my stomach feeling ok, got off the tums and it made the urinary infections disappear, now the urine is usually around 7.

I am a believer now in what sodium bicarb can do and also believe in what magnesium can do as it has helped me with regularity and it seems to help with energy a bit.

Dr. Sircus is an advocate of both magnesium and sodium bicarb and talks about magnesium/bicarbonate water or "Unique water" as Dr. Beckett call's it.

There are lots of opinions around...including a couple of articles that talked about the "dangers" of long time supplementing with baking soda, and one article stated that it should be used for no more than 2 weeks at a time and not to exceed 2 tsp a day and if the blood ph gets to high it can be fatal!

I am curious about the opinions/personal experiences here.

Thanks

jfh

perpetual student

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Original Poster
I have been taking a digestive supplement with most of my meals to help with digestion but my digestion has always been good!, it's mainly between meals that I would get heartburn to such a degree that it would make me sick, so pop a Tums or Rolaids and all was well...for the moment...but knowing this could not be good long term and they did not help the heartburn/acid indigestion/reflux stop or get better someone suggested good old baking soda and it has helped much more.

So according to the article at "OwnDoc" eating meats don't cause the acidic environment in our bodies and don't seem to have the negative effects that mainstream medicine say...I can believe this but are urine/saliva test worthless?....from the article..."Urine/saliva pH tests as administered by quacks of various denominations are hogwash. Don’t get suckered into yet another diet scam."

For 20+ years I have had a course of antibiotics 1-2 times per year for recurring bladder infections, since I have been using the baking soda the infection feeling is almost gone, the slight burning IS gone and I can hold more (almost the amount of when I was in my 30's) again...this is definitely better by (I assume the sodium bicarb) and taking the urine ph from ~5 to ~7.

I know some natural products are very powerful and to much of anything can perhaps go the other way and become counter productive and some supplements like vitamins you need daily and other supplements you don't, and now I have read now in two places about how powerful sodium bicarb is and how "their opinion" it should not be used long term which seems to contradict with Dr. Sircus opinion of sodium bicarb, I thought I would ask here for some more.

bill5

Dr. Sircus is an advocate of both magnesium and sodium bicarb and talks about magnesium/bicarbonate water or "Unique water" as Dr. Beckett call's it.
"Dr" Sircus is not even a doctor and is a flaming quack of the worst sort.

Excessive/long-term use of baking soda can be quite dangerous. Pls reconsider.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Dr Sircus is a doctor.

This is what he says about himself. In my book an acupuncturist is a doctor. Maybe not in yours. I would trust his advice before yours.

I hold the honorary title of doctor of Oriental medicine and was one of the first nationally certified acupuncturists in the United States over 20 years ago. I have distilled divergent medical systems to an essence that provides a roadmap toward a unified medicine that can be practiced by allopath and non allopath alike.

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Original Poster
"Dr" Sircus is not even a doctor and is a flaming quack of the worst sort.

Excessive/long-term use of baking soda can be quite dangerous. Pls reconsider.
He has the title...and a lot of money and a very extensive/expensive web site, lot's of exposure, and doing a fair amount in the medical field, etc...if he is a "flaming quack" and giving bad advise that can/will hurt people, he would be up to his neck in law suits...wouldn't he?

bill5

Dr Sircus is a doctor.
No, sorry, he is not. He has no license to practice medicine. Even he admits his "doctorate degree" is honorary. This means he didn't earn it or pass a single class or test to get it. Basically someone walked up to him and went "you're a doctor." How or why anyone would think someone calling someone else a doctor suddenly makes it so baffles me, but to each their own.
What he really is is a certified acupuncturist; no more, no less.

I would trust his advice before yours.
Fine, that doesn't bother or matter to me in the least. The diff is I'm not claiming to have some "amazing cure" for cancer or other sicknesses/diseases or touting myself as a doctor or expert in the field of medicine in any way.

I would also hope people would be wise enough to at least be suspicious of anyone who throws out nonsensical silliness such as "cancer is a fungus" or say things which talk a lot and say nothing, such as:

"I have distilled divergent medical systems to an essence that provides a roadmap toward a unified medicine that can be practiced by allopath and non allopath alike"

bill5

He has the title...and a lot of money and a very extensive/expensive web site, lot's of exposure, and doing a fair amount in the medical field, etc...if he is a "flaming quack" and giving bad advise that can/will hurt people, he would be up to his neck in law suits...wouldn't he?
So because someone gave him a title called "doctor of oriental medicine" (whatever that means) and is rich and has a fancy web site, he must be right!

This is the logic you're standing behind. Yikes.

But in fairness, you have a lot of company; an amazing number of people have been duped by similar logic, ie how could someone with all those long titles behind their name be a fraud? Look, there's a fancy official-looking web site and everything! FYI it's not hard to create a fancy-looking web site.

As for "doing a fair amount in the medical field," what evidence do you have of this? We already know he has no real degree or license to practice medicine. What medical journals is he published in? Substantiated proof or evidence of his claims?

As for lawsuits, that's probably because of this disclaimer he has on his site (surprise, it's at the very bottom in really tiny letters) - note the parts I bold-faced. He is at least smart enough to cover his own butt:

"The information you will receive with our consultations is for informational purposes only under the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution for the United States of America, and should not in any way be used as a substitute for the advice of a physician or other licensed health care practitioner. The statements contained on my sites and in my books have not been evaluated by the FDA. The products discussed are not intended to diagnose, cure, prevent or treat any disease but are proven useful for health and life extension. We always recommend when and wherever possible that licensed local healthcare professionals be consulted."

I'm sorry if any of you are offended by my comments. Again, to each their own and I am not trying to say you're dumb or whatever. But frauds like this disgust me in the extreme, and I am always saddened when I see people falling for their nonsense and am only trying to get you to take a harder and perhaps more objective look at these things. I wish you the best of health regardless.

liverock

bill5

Thx for the link lr. Interesting and hopeful. I am not saying no way will this ever be useful, but some mixed results with mice is quite a diff story than working on humans, and ingesting baking soda is not a cure/effective treatment for cancer as people like Sircus claim. That's my point.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I'm sorry if any of you are offended by my comments. Again, to each their own and I am not trying to say you're dumb or whatever. But frauds like this disgust me in the extreme, and I am always saddened when I see people falling for their nonsense and am only trying to get you to take a harder and perhaps more objective look at these things. I wish you the best of health regardless.

Sorry if any of my comments offend but but people like you disgust me.

Sircus is not a fraud. He presents exactly who he is.

On the other hand you do not.

People on this forum are not very interested in your type of health advice. Thats why they come here instead of where you would have them go.

mommysunshine

Bill5,
I would like to know how healthy you are. How many medicines do you currently take? How many in your family are alive and healthy? Has main stream medicine brought you and your family health and well being or are they just getting by, going to the drug store to pick up their prescription for whatever disease they have been diagnosed with by a medical doctor or worse yet died on the operating table or after years of chemotherapy that made their last years miserable? If you have the answers for health then please share because that is what we do here. We are looking for solutions and not a dead end program that is made up of medicine or surgery that never addresses the underlying issue of ill health. Most modern medical doctors don't know what the cause of illness is. That is ridiculous!

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Original Poster

On the other hand you do not.

People on this forum are not very interested in your type of health advice. Thats why they come here instead of where you would have them go.
A big second to this!!!

This is why I am here!, mainstream medicine as not cured me of much, actually I believe NO medicine can cure you, only the body can cure it's self and the correct supplements and a re balance of the body may help!

Thank you Arrow and MS

bill5

You mean like how he calls himself a "doctor" and "medical researcher?" Riiiiight. No deception there. FYI the most commonly understood definition of "doctor" is: a person licensed to practice medicine. He is not. And he is no more a "medical researcher" than you or I. Oh yeah, what an honest guy.

But really what I was speaking of most was his backing of products and methods which he claims work but cannot provide verifiable evidence of working, all the while trying to paint conventional medicine and doctors as being these mean, evil, demon-like creatures. A child could see how ridiculous it all is. For example:

"The majority of pediatricians are mean and arrogant and they love their poisonous needles and take every opportunity to inject no matter what the condition is of their young patients."

Yeah I remember last time I was at a pediatrician's office, I wondered what was up with those red horns and forked tongues they had. :roll: How could any sane person could buy into such ridiculous rubbish?

Again your delusion of thinking you speak for everyone on this site. And I would not "have them go" to any particular site. As for my advice, you may note not once have I gone "all natural treatments are worthless! Go see a doctor and start taking lots of medicine for no reason!" etc etc. I hate to break it to you, but this is not an "us vs them" battle. "My type of health advice" has simply been to suggest they look at any health or treatment options with (unlike you) both eyes wide open in a sane, rational, intelligent way, and (for starters) realize that neither conventional medicine nor the "alternative community" have all the answers - and so not automatically believe in some "natural" or "miracle cure" just because it sounds flashy and a dream come true. That is also childish, foolish, and potentially very dangerous. For whatever its faults and imperfections may be, conventional medicine is at least tested, regulated, and proven to one degree or other. Not so with "alternative" methods; people can claim it does whatever they want.

Sorry if any of my comments offend but you not only tragically close-minded and deluded, but are one of the most obnoxious, immature people I have ever encountered, and that's saying quite a lot. From the start you have not only been totally incapable of addressing or disputing any of the comments I've made about the actual topics, but done little exect throw fits and spew insults at me that my 6-year old nephew would roll his eyes at. Didn't your parents ever teach you about this thing called manners? Grow up.

On second thought, do whatever you want; I just realized this site has an ignore feature which I will now use. That way I can have discussions only with those on this site who feel intellect matters more than emotional outbursts and who I may disagree with, but can at least have a conversation with.

bill5

We are looking for solutions and not a dead end program that is made up of medicine or surgery that never addresses the underlying issue of ill health. Most modern medical doctors don't know what the cause of illness is. That is ridiculous!
You do not appear to be looking for solutions in general, but only for "natural" solutions. If a solution presents itself which includes surgery or any conventional medicine in any way, you appear to be automatically dismissing it as bad or evil or whatever. I wonder: if you or someone you loved had a heart attack or suddenly collapsed and was out cold, or had some unbearable, agonizing pain, would you call an ambulance and/or drive them to the hospital, or just put them to bed and have them take some natural/miracle cure? And if you did the latter and it didn't help or things got even worse, would you continue to do so?

As for "most modern medical doctors don't know what the cause of illness is," can you be a little more specific? FYI the cause of MANY illnesses is well known. The modern/conventional medicine estabishment some of you seem to think is so horrible is the one who discovered (among many other things) germs, bacteria etc AND many ways to treat the diseases we now know cause them. Yes, conventional medicine did all that, not "natural healers." Do you at least realize germs exist and cause many illnesses, or do you consider that some hundreds of years old conspiracy? Are you aware than many diseases (malaria, polio, on and on the list goes) are now all but eradicated, thanks to modern medicine (eg vaccines)?

jfh

perpetual student
I spent a lot of time researching why sodium bicarbonate works for some forms of cancer. See my blog. It is not my first choice for a cancer cure, but I wanted to know why it works for many people. There are a few therapies that would work, but only if using IV. These things have to be able to get to the cancer for at least osmotic shock. Going through the digestive system would not be optimal if it can make it at all. I include bicarbonate of soda, vitamin C, and MMS in that list of anticancer IVs that would work for most cancers.

Mad Scientest

"The majority of pediatricians are mean and arrogant and they love their poisonous needles and take every opportunity to inject no matter what the condition is of their young patients."

Yeah I remember last time I was at a pediatrician's office, I wondered what was up with those red horns and forked tongues they had. :roll: How could any sane person could buy into such ridiculous rubbish? .
Well let's see could it have something to do with the fact that some of these pediatricians will inject their patients with up to 26 different vaccines in their first year of life?
Do they have slightest idea of what the long term effect of this chemical onslaught will be?

ozzie

cyber_junkie I have trouble sometimes with gastric reflux, and find that eating a red apple with skin on is very good a bit before and after meals , and also believe it or not, pickled chillies helps me as well, I just add a couple of pieces to a tomato sandwich.
I have also used carb soda and it does help but I try not to use it too often.
I believe taking meds for cholesterol and high blood pressure is what caused my gastric reflux, I weaned myself of all medications about 18months ago, and feel so much better for it.
ozzie

Kelly Thundercloud

Sorry if any of my comments offend but you not only tragically close-minded and deluded, but are one of the most obnoxious, immature people I have ever encountered, and that's saying quite a lot. From the start you have not only been totally incapable of addressing or disputing any of the comments I've made about the actual topics, but done little exect throw fits and spew insults at me that my 6-year old nephew would roll his eyes at. Didn't your parents ever teach you about this thing called manners? Grow up.
I have to agree with you on that one! Take back what I posted in arrow's thread. You give info to debate on in this one. They are getting you for insults, when really they are insulting you worse!

As for "most modern medical doctors don't know what the cause of illness is," can you be a little more specific? FYI the cause of MANY illnesses is well known. The modern/conventional medicine estabishment some of you seem to think is so horrible is the one who discovered (among many other things) germs, bacteria etc AND many ways to treat the diseases we now know cause them. Yes, conventional medicine did all that, not "natural healers." Do you at least realize germs exist and cause many illnesses, or do you consider that some hundreds of years old conspiracy? Are you aware than many diseases (malaria, polio, on and on the list goes) are now all but eradicated, thanks to modern medicine (eg vaccines)?
I definitely believe that medical research has done well at finding the causes of infectious diseases. You really can't deny the existance of bacteria! However, I am leery of the usage on antibiotics. I think they are prescribed too often. Overuse of them will lead to C Diff, yeast infections etc. because your natural flora is dead. I'm cool with antibiotics that already exist in nature (anything that would come from a plant or fungus), but it creeps me out when humans create their own synthetic chemicals to get rid of infections (or any disease for that matter). I personally believe that much of this can lead to other health problems, even though it cured the initial problem.

Bill, I am kind of an oddball here too. I don't agree with most conventional medicine (including the system, not just the drugs), but I also disagree with much of what is posted in this forum. I believe that there is a line that is crossed...If you go too "natural", you become unnatural. Most of the products for natural health are composed by humans in certain concentrations and quantities. Sure, they are natural ingredients, but once you mess with the natural balance of these natural chemicals, they aren't in their natural state anymore. But this MMS...I read (on Jim Humble's site) that it is the stuff they put in city water to keep it safe for drinking. I am partially skeptical to it curing diseases, but my main concern is how it effects your health in the long run. It's really not a "natural" cure...it's city water without the water!! I know what city water tastes like and it's nasty! I'd rather drink nice tap water from a well any day. Also, you have to be so careful how you take mms and what you take it with. Then it actually makes you feel sick after you take it. How can it be natural and healthy? It just doesn't make sense!

I'm the kind of person who will take untouched willow bark instead of an asprin and instead of some "natural" pain relief product on the shelf.

bill5

Well let's see could it have something to do with the fact that some of these pediatricians will inject their patients with up to 26 different vaccines in their first year of life?
Assuming that is automatically a bad thing (which you did not back up in any way), please note the difference between

The majority of pediatricians are mean and arrogant and they love their poisonous needles and take every opportunity to inject no matter what the condition is of their young patients

and

some of these pediatricians will inject their patients with up to 26 different vaccines

I'd love to know what is "mean and arrogant" about vaccinating children. Can you not see how truly ridiculous that first statement is?

Do they have slightest idea of what the long term effect of this chemical onslaught will be?
I can't speak to the specific cases you mention, but generally speaking about vaccines, yes they do. A huge decrease in the incidence of the diseases in people who are vaccinated. As I have said elsewhere, there are a great many diseases which have been effectively eradicated or greatly reduced in places where vaccines have been used. This is not small part of death rates plummeting in the last 100 or so years and life expectancies rising. It amazes me that that actually needs to be said as it's common knowledge that we were taught around 5th grade. Or do you think the people who write all the academic textbooks are in on some grand conspiracy as well?

bill5

I have to agree with you on that one! Take back what I posted in arrow's thread. You give info to debate on in this one. They are getting you for insults, when really they are insulting you worse!
Speaks for itself, doesn't it :roll:

I definitely believe that medical research has done well at finding the causes of infectious diseases. You really can't deny the existance of bacteria! However, I am leery of the usage on antibiotics. I think they are prescribed too often.
That may be. You can have too much or not enough of anything. In fact I have heard some concern about that because bacteria/etc are very "smart" about being able to mutate such that some anti-biotics have become less effective against some of them. Certainly they're no panacea, but what is?

it creeps me out when humans create their own synthetic chemicals to get rid of infections (or any disease for that matter).
I think that is an excellent point to bring up as I think it's a big problem with a lot of people who dismiss such treatments (not saying you) and look for "natural" ones - we sometimes associate "synthetic" with something cold and impersonal and unpleasant-sounding. However, unpleasant-sounding doesn't mean bad or ineffective, just like something pleasant or "natural" sounding doesn't automatically mean it's good or is helpful. In fact you had provided some excellent examples earlier eg snake venom; very natural but I'll pass. :)

Bill, I am kind of an oddball here too. I don't agree with most conventional medicine (including the system, not just the drugs), but I also disagree with much of what is posted in this forum.
It sounds like you're trying to take a balanced and objective approach and don't believe/disbelieve in something just because it's "conventional" or "natural" and you realize this isn't some bizarre contest between the 2, but rather look at each thing on its own merit. Very logical and frankly very refreshing.

I believe that there is a line that is crossed...If you go too "natural", you become unnatural. Most of the products for natural health are composed by humans in certain concentrations and quantities. Sure, they are natural ingredients, but once you mess with the natural balance of these natural chemicals, they aren't in their natural state anymore.
That doesn't seem to matter to some. Natural = good! Sadly, it's not that simple.

bill5

I spent a lot of time researching why sodium bicarbonate works for some forms of cancer. See my blog. It is not my first choice for a cancer cure, but I wanted to know why it works for many people. There are a few therapies that would work, but only if using IV. These things have to be able to get to the cancer for at least osmotic shock. Going through the digestive system would not be optimal if it can make it at all. I include bicarbonate of soda, vitamin C, and MMS in that list of anticancer IVs that would work for most cancers.
Thx for the info (blogs). But I saw no evidence do you have that they work for most cancers - in fact, I saw none that they work in humans for any cancers. Some interesting stuff about baking soda inhibiting tumors in mice was all I saw - but that doesn't mean it works for people. If I missed something on the blogs, pls let me know.

jfh

perpetual student
But I saw no evidence do you have that they work for most cancers
Correct. Me neither. Won't work for many cancers as I said in this entry https://www.natmedtalk.com/blog.php?b=126

But there is indication that it works for prostate and some breast cancer. It is shown to inhibit spontaneous metastasis in breast cancer. Must be the nature of the cancer. Not all cancer is alkaline. Very few cancer are acid, though all cancer and bacteria (good and bad) generate acid. As I said also, you really have to find a way to get the bicarbonate directly to the cancer. This will at least give you the necessary osmotic shift/shock.

This person has had great relief with this protocol https://phkillscancer.com/protocol

A person, BigAl on this forum, claims that it has cured his bladder cancer. Perhaps he will share again.

The problem with alternative meds and protocols, is that you have to depend upon anecdotal evidence, then do some research on how it relates to mainstream research. Pubmed, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ is my favorite for that.

Even then, what works for one does not work for all. My biggest problem is that there is such poor diagnoses in both the allopathic and naturopathic worlds.

bill5

But there is indication that it works for prostate and some breast cancer. It is shown to inhibit spontaneous metastasis in breast cancer.
In people? If so I did not see-?

Must be the nature of the cancer. Not all cancer is alkaline. Very few cancer are acid, though all cancer and bacteria (good and bad) generate acid.
Yep - actually I believe the pH of most cancer cells is similar to normal cells, which even further brings into question the bicarb thing.

As I said also, you really have to find a way to get the bicarbonate directly to the cancer. This will at least give you the necessary osmotic shift/shock.
That would make more sense than the idea of eating bicarb (with or without syrup :roll: ) to kill cancer cells.

This person has had great relief with this protocol https://phkillscancer.com/protocol

A person, BigAl on this forum, claims that it has cured his bladder cancer. Perhaps he will share again.

The problem with alternative meds and protocols, is that you have to depend upon anecdotal evidence,
Yes, as in the 2 examples given. But as I've said elsewhere, unsubstantiated claims are only that: claims. There is no way to know the accuracy or truth to them as anyone can claim anything and that by itself means little if anything.

then do some research on how it relates to mainstream research. Pubmed, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ is my favorite for that.
Yep they are a good central source, although their site and formatting/etc sure could use a lot of work. Ditto for the clinical trial sites, eg clinicaltrials.gov.

Even then, what works for one does not work for all. My biggest problem is that there is such poor diagnoses in both the allopathic and naturopathic worlds.
Cancer is so #$%^ complex and tricky. Nobody has all the answers, to put it mildly. Dealing w/it first-hand has been the most effective incentive to try and live a healthier lifestyle....