11 Secrets To Successful Weight Loss

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Chalene's 11 Secrets to Success from Chalene Johnson (Turbo Jam)

1. Vigorous exercise won't stimulate you to overeat. It's just the opposite. Exercise at any level helps curb your appetite immediately following a workout and will likely cause you to actually crave healthy foods.

2. Distract yourself when you have a very strong craving. Cravings usually disappear after 2 minutes. Don't sit in front of the fridge negotiating with yourself. Instead, walk away and focus your attention elsewhere. And if you have a few food items which are simply too much to resist, toss them!

3. Think "W.I.W.M." When you really crave something unhealthy, finish the phrase: "What I Want More is..." Is it the piece of chocolate cake, or a body of which I'm proud? Nothing tastes as good as fit feels!

4. As hard as it may seem to lose weight, it's more stressful, depressing, frustrating, embarrassing, and even life-threatening to remain overweight.

5. The large majority of people who struggle with late night eating are those who skip meals or don't eat balanced meals during the day. Try to be consistent.

6. Change your nighttime schedule. Make it your goal to go to sleep with an empty stomach. You'll wake up feeling thin and rested.

7. Put a sign on the kitchen and refrigerator doors: "Closed after dinner. Water open all night."

8. Brush your teeth right after dinner to get the taste of food out of your mouth and to make the statement: "I'm done eating!"

9. Eat without engaging in any other stimulating activity, i.e. no reading, TV, or sitting at the computer. Savor the food and you'll be more conscious of portions.

10. Move more and move quicker. A slow metabolism is rarely the culprit for the inability to lose weight. Rather, fit people tend to move more and move quickly. When they need something, they jump up and get it themselves. So take the stairs, take a walk, do some gardening, start your spring cleaning. Be an active person every hour of the day. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. And climbing two steps at a time is great for toning the glutes.

11. When shopping for food, try whole food markets as they stock very few of those tempting, unhealthy junk foods we find in most mainstream grocery stores. When you do go shopping at a regular grocery store, as a rule of thumb the aisles are filled with processed foods while the most whole foods are found around the perimeter. That's how you avoid packaged items that contain hydrogenated oil, trans fat, shortening, animal fat and mega-calories.

BigAl

As I see it (Remember what follows is my version.) people who are fat have a hang-up. A hang-up can be anything like drinking too much, draining the credit card, always playing golf, etc. A hang-up is caused by simply pampering a young child too much. So it really is not that person's fault if they have a hang-up as a grown up.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
As I see it (Remember what follows is my version.) people who are fat have a hang-up. A hang-up can be anything like drinking too much, draining the credit card, always playing golf, etc. A hang-up is caused by simply pampering a young child too much. So it really is not that person's fault if they have a hang-up as a grown up.
BigAl...Let me just say that I not only disagree with "your version", but it REALLY makes me wonder what YOUR "hang-up" is. You DO sound very angry and judgemental. I'm fifteen pounds overweight, and I wasn't pampered or spoiled as a child, nor do I have addictions to alcohol, sports or shopping! :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your statement, I hope that I am. There are many reasons that people become over-weight. It's part of being human, not a fault and certainly nothing to apologize for.

Ted_Hutchinson

As someone who is generally a greedy pig it has perplexed me that I seem to be able to get away with eating more calories daily that I burn off in exercise (not an option for me as I suffer late effects of polio)

So back to Dec 2007 before I listened to Jimmy Moore and Gary Taubes I was eating until satisfied, drinking a bit too much alcohol and getting heavier year on year. About that time Jimmy interviewed Annika Dahlqvist and I (mistakenly thinking that wasn't Atkin's) thought I could try it out and see if Taubes/Dahlqvist were correct or not. (in fact Dahlqvist's plan is similar to Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss stage but I fortunately I didn't know that when I started)

I lost 2lbs each week for the next 6 months. I haven't regained it since but I still eat until satisfied and still drink too much red wine.

So something is going on in my metabolism that enables my metabolism to burn up or excrete excess calories rather than store them as fat.

I suspect the fact I came into low carbing with a high Vitamin D, magnesium and omega 3 status has given me an advantage that others miss out on.
I also think the fact I adopted coconut oil and MCT oil as my main fat sources has added to the metabolic advantage.

When you understand that
Low testosterone and estradiol concentrations are predictive for the development of the metabolic syndrome in men and women, respectively
and that
Higher Vitamin D status means higher Testosterone levels
and
supplementation with magnesium increases free and total testosterone values you can see what may be the source of my metabolic advantage.

So I have been Eating More Fat/Protein and Less Carbohydrate The supplements vitamin D and magnesium I've been using help maintain Hormone levels and this has led to permanent Weight Loss

My Vitamin d and magnesium levels were pretty good before I started low carbing. So on their own they didn't prevent my becoming obese however as soon as I started low carbing and using coconut oil/mct it was a different story.

To ensure 25(OH)D level are ideal for EACH 25LBS you weigh use [1000iu/daily/D3 preferably in MCT oil Country Life, Vitamin D3, 5,000iu take once daily with largest meal of day or a high fat meal. Add 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil if in any doubts about the fat content.
Check with a 25(OH)D test to ensure you get your level to 60ng/ml.

To ensure MAGNESIUM levels are correct use 10mg/daily per KG a highly absorption magnesium Albion chelate (such as Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium or magnesium malate. Small amounts through the day are better absorbed so WITH EACH meal of the day take one third of the daily total. Remember only 4% of magnesium oxide is absorbed so 96% is money down the loo.

If for other reasons you are taking calcium keep the calcium away from the magnesium, magnesium is a calcium channel blocker so take CALCIUM at night before bed. Best absorbed calcium is a Calcium citrate calcium malate blend however calcium is best utilized from food sources so try to get most calcium from diet.

A further advantage comes from the higher amount of MCT oil (from coconut and MCT) in my present diet.

From a health perspective, MCT increase fat oxidation and energy expenditure as well as reduce food intake and beneficially alter body composition.

Consumption of MCT oil as part of a weight-loss plan improves weight loss compared with olive oil and can thus be successfully included in a weight-loss diet. Small changes in the quality of fat intake can therefore be useful to enhance weight loss.

While I still am unable to exercise for long there are advantages to energy availability The results support the hypothesis that brain function of aged dogs can be improved by MCT supplementation, which provides the brain with an alternative energy source. This old dog finds that improved brain function enables him to concentrate for longer than previously. The brain is a major calorie burner. Although only 2% of body composition is brain it burns 20% of our calories. Therefore improving the brain energy capacity leads to increased calorie consumption.

Another curious side effect of MCT is that it leads to improved omega 3 status in the brain. and as omega 3 is anti inflammatory it may also be helping brain function.
Similarly Aged dogs receiving MCTs, as compared to age-matched controls, showed dramatically improved mitochondrial function, as evidenced by increased active respiration rates. The fact that lungs and heart when fueled by MCT have greater capacity for work induces increased calorie consumption.
The fact I'm sleeping better, breathing better and have improved heart and muscle function enables me to perform better (albeit to a relatively limited extent, I'm no marathon runner or walker, I'm talking about the difference between having to sit to prepare a meal and wash up and having the ability to prepare and meal/wash up without having to remain seated)

So WITHOUT actually indulging in an exercise regime my body is burning more calories than previously. I accept that MCT/low carb diets do lead to reduced need to eat, so I don't snack like I did previously but that said I still consume more calories DAILY than the calculators suggest are strictly necessary for BMR.

I am not suggesting that overconsumption is desirable or should be encouraged. Merely that if you get your hormone levels optimized they can regulate energy/temperature/activity levels to cope with a modest degree of calorie excess.

My point is that if you corrected hormonal imbalance you don't HAVE to consume fewer calories than your Basal Metabolic Rate to lose weight. So you don't HAVE to starve if you don't want to and also you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight.

It's great if you can exercise but if you are like me and this isn't an option you don't have to, You can simply improve the rate at which your heart, lungs and muscles burn fuel by providing the fuel they run most efficiently on.

I have linked to examples of effective forms of vit d and magnesium to IHERB. Code WAB666 saves $5. IHERB offer cheapest shipping to UK so suit me. Vitacost, Amazon, Swansons MAY be cheaper for US readers (depending on P&P)

BigAl

Dearest kind2creatures, my hobby is behavioral psychology and I do believe there is no place on this earth where I can discuss this subject with any one in a rational manner without some one taking things very personal. Heck I don't consider 15 pounds plus as over weight. By the way my post was not intended to slam your entry in any way.
I look at this forum a lot ( It's a hang-up.) and your posts are very, very interesting.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Dearest kind2creatures, my hobby is behavioral psychology and I do believe there is no place on this earth where I can discuss this subject with any one in a rational manner without some one taking things very personal.
I did take your post as a bit psycho-babblish, and just the use of the word fat was negative. No hard feelings, but I think we should be considerate to those with serious health issues related to obesity, who have hundreds to lose. I look through this forum often too, and I have always enjoyed reading your posts, thanks.

just me

Interesting list... I plan on printing it out... WIWM is a good point... I dont have a problem with late night eating anymore... i use to, but its been many many years since I broke that habit...except for now, for the past two years, Im not in charge of cooking anymore, so dinner isnt ready to eat till anywhere from 8 to 10 at night... I can change that for me, because I can now cook for me and foster daughter, but I feel guilty eating when the kids have to wait for mom to finish cooking...but I am going to try and do the no eating after 7pm.. Now the mindless nitpicking eating during the day while watching the kiddos and playing on the computer does pose an issue for me that I need to get past.. Trying to find exercise time around the kiddos is doable, I just have to be willing to quit staying up till midnight and then start getting up at 5 thirty or 6 before they wake up, and need to be organized enough to use their nap time wisely. I have a stack of magazine articles and little notes that I have clipped out of magazines with tricks to lose weight and to keep it off... they have a bunch of small little tricks to move more during the day.... like, stand up to talk on the phone, dont sit. or do leg lifts while waiting for your coffee to finish brewing... and little exercises while standing in line at the store or pumping gas... I need to pull them out and somehow figure out how to use them during the day. I love all the tips.. I just need to slowly incorporate them into my life so that they are lifetime practices and not just for a few months...

Ted, MCT oils? Is there a specific one, or is sesame oil one? or rice bran oil one?
I have heard not to take calcium and magnesium together, but didnt know why. it seems strange that even the health food store sells them combined. Glad I know why not to do it now... Also, I am fifty three, so I know, that the change is coming upon me soon...possibly already in beginning stages... Does this mean more Vitamin D or ????

A hang-up can be anything like drinking too much, draining the credit card, always playing golf, etc. A hang-up is caused by simply pampering a young child too much. So it really is not that person's fault if they have a hang-up as a grown up.
Big Al, you might actually be onto something! I have what I believe to be an addictive spirit/personality/programedingene/whateveryouwanttocallit. I have been overweight most of my life, and have been addicted to something most of my life... I dont remember much of my childhood, a little memory here, another one there, was the memory from a home movie or a picture, or was it real life, I dont know... What I do know, is that my mother was an alcoholic, and my father was the enabler... he tried so hard to hide it from the world.. Rumor has it, that my mother and possibly her sisters were molested by a family member when they were little, but of course way back when, no one is confessing and most of them are dead... Does their behavior get passed down to me? In biblical terms, it would be called a generational curse. I watch the TV show Ruby, about this really overweight woman on her weight loss journey... Last night a therapist made mention on the show, that most overly obese people are children of an alcoholic parent... Interesting point. I do know that my weight struggle excellerated after my mother died... I was so sure that her alcoholic demon was going to try to find a new home, and I was so bound and determined that it wouldnt be me or mine. I have been addictied to jewelry when I was in school, rings on every finger and necklaces galore!.. Started smoking when I was 14, and have been drinking coffee since I was a little girl. I was totally addicted to white bread for a long time.. when my kids were little, my diet consisted basically of mayo and mustard sandwhiches and coffee (2 or 3 perculatortype pots a day) Can see myself trying to get back hooked on bread, since the d-i-l keeps it in the house all the time. and diet coke!!!! Knowing how bad it is for me, I still cant seem to get off if it... I will kick it, and do without for a few months, and then end up going right back to it.. I cant seem to get off of it.. Now I drink one 20oz bottle a day, but I use to drink at least 4 or 5.... I wasnt spoiled when I was growing up.. I was the middle child of 7, my dad was a prison guard and then a steel mill worker... not much money. I dont know if I was pampered, i dont see how I could have been.. not with 7 of us... but who knows, maybe my inner child is trying to make up for all the pampering that I didnt get when I was growing up.... I need to put my inner child into time out!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
.. Now the mindless nitpicking eating during the day while watching the kiddos and playing on the computer does pose an issue for me that I need to get past.. I have a stack of magazine articles and little notes that I have clipped out of magazines with tricks to lose weight and to keep it off... they have a bunch of small little tricks to move more during the day.... like, stand up to talk on the phone, dont sit. or do leg lifts while waiting for your coffee to finish brewing... and little exercises while standing in line at the store or pumping gas... I need to pull them out and somehow figure out how to use them during the day. I love all the tips.. I just need to slowly incorporate them into my life so that they are lifetime practices and not just for a few months...
Can see myself trying to get back hooked on bread, since the d-i-l keeps it in the house all the time. and diet coke!!!! Knowing how bad it is for me, I still cant seem to get off if it... I will kick it, and do without for a few months, and then end up going right back to it.. I cant seem to get off of it.. Now I drink one 20oz bottle a day, but I use to drink at least 4 or 5....
Hi justme, glad you liked the list. Not everything is suitable for everyone, but there's some ideas to consider.

As far as burning calories, or getting steps in everyday, there's lots of little things to do. When I started wearing a pedometer, I was focused on adding more steps and burning more calories. I would pace back and forth, rather than standing in one place while waiting for something. I'd place my hands on a counter-top or doorway, and do as many body presses that I could, then go about my chores. Just marching in place is a great way to create more activity. I've been using my small 3 lb weights to do curls, over-the-head raises, etc while watching TV. You'd be surprised the workout you can get in during a 1/2 hour show.

A really cool way to be a bit more active and burn some calories is to play the music. I'm into rock, whether oldies, classic or newer alternative. If you're cleaning especially, you don't have to fully be dancing, but any movement is really beneficial.

Standing is always better than sitting. Even while sitting, movement of the arms or wrists not only burns calories, but makes us more limber. Stretching is something to be explored, it feels sooooo good, and takes evergy to do, thus burning calories.

Having healthier alternatives for snacking throughout the day at home is a must for weight loss. Buy baby carrots when they're on sale, nuts, raisins, etc. It sounds unappealing at first, but give it a chance. After awhile, you won't mind chomping a few carrots rather than going for a cookie or piece of cheese. If you like cheese, like me, start with limiting the amount you're eating. Being conscious of what you put into your body is a very important habit.

I drink plain old seltzer water, calorie and sodium FREE. I buy in in 2 liter bottles, either Canada Dry or store brands when it's on sale for .99 a bottle. I'm happy with it plain, but will add some lemon juice or other juices just enough for different flavors, works for me. I stay hydrated and don't add lots of sugar, salt or calories. Plus it doesn't have any other questionable ingredients.

Ted_Hutchinson

Ted, MCT oils? Is there a specific one, or is sesame oil one? or rice bran oil one?
This is the one I use You may find it cheaper at a bodybuilders supplies place. If not code WAB666 saves $5 at IHERB. There are other makes of MCT. It's refined from coconut oil and its very concentrated MCT. It's great for salad dressings and mayonnaise. I also add it to my coffee.
You can just use Coconut oil instead. That is the best source of MCT oils. I don't supplement with these oils I just use them to cook with and as salad oils (coconut oil is no good for salad oil in UK as it remains solid)

I have heard not to take calcium and magnesium together, but didnt know why.
It's about as much sense as taking poison and antidote at the same time. One cancels out the other so why bother.
it seems strange that even the health food store sells them combined.
They are about making money not necessarily ensuring their customers spend their money wisely.

. Also, I am fifty three, so I know, that the change is coming upon me soon...possibly already in beginning stages... Does this mean more Vitamin D or ????
YES as you age the amount of cholesterol in your skin thins and the amount of Vitamin D your skin can make is reduced. IT IS STILL WORTH GETTING UVB exposure. There is still a worthwhile contribution from UVB in the summer BUT it should NOT be relied upon because MAY NOT be sufficient even to meet your daily needs.
There is a sufficiently wide safety margin for you to take sufficient vitamin D3 from supplements to meet your daily needs (1000iu/daily D3 for each 25lbs you weigh) AND get as much skin exposed to sunlight as is practicable. Your body is very good at regulating the Vitamin D production according to your need for more circulating or more stored D3 and you have to get up to 200ng/ml ~500nmol/l before there is the potential for adverse events.

There is also good evidence to support the idea that the requirement for vitamin D is greater the older you are.

Ted_Hutchinson

I drink plain old seltzer water, calorie and sodium FREE. I buy in in 2 liter bottles, either Canada Dry or store brands when it's on sale for .99 a bottle. I'm happy with it plain, but will add some lemon juice or other juices just enough for different flavors, works for me. I stay hydrated and don't add lots of sugar, salt or calories. Plus it doesn't have any other questionable ingredients.
It's extremely cheap, easy, quick to make your own MAGNESIUM WATER.
Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water

I have one of these Sodastream so start with making some carbonated water (from the tap) and putting it in the fridge.
Unflavoured MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE is available from pharmacists in the UK.
It's MUCH cheaper than the mint flavoured Philips milk of magnesia.
£3.78 for 500ml.
3 tablespoons in a liter of cold carbonated water, shake, return to fridge, shake again in 30mins. Then add a third to a 4lt water flagon. (I fill up with tap water because our tap water is fine) I shake this up and pour it into the soda stream bottles and refizz. Tastes great and it means I'm getting extra magnesium through the day.

I'm sure that adding extra exercise for those who enjoy it is a good idea. It just makes me feel really ill. I haven't got a surplus of energy to burn off through needless pointless repetitive exercise.

I'm sure for masochists and folks who enjoy that kind of thing it's just great but revving up your hormones to function as they evolved seems an easier option to me, in the same way rather than resisting the temptation to snack, removing from your diet those foods that lead to increased hunger is the easier option.

We all know that cereals for breakfast will cause a need for a midmorning snack so eliminating the cereal and replacing it with bacon and eggs eliminates or reduces the requirement for a midmorning snack.
If you are not hungry you don't have such a job to resist temptation.

EarlyBird

Thank you, Ted for your post and the link to Annika Dahlqvists' site.
Very interesting and helpful info. However she says to drink water WITH a
meal. :confused: Thanks too for your explanations. I think I will order some of the MCT Oil from iherb. :cool:

Ted_Hutchinson

However she says to drink water WITH a
meal.
I don't drink water WITH a meal.
I think it dilutes the natural acids in your stomach and makes the digestive process less efficient.
I usually have a drink of water an hour before a meal and some green tea a while after I've eaten but I don't think drinking water while you are eating is a good idea.
With every "expert" or opinion you read online you have to use some common sense. Everyone is human and no one knows everything about everything. I'm learning all the time and I'm sure you could search online and find things I said years ago that would make me cringe now.
We should ALL be learning ALL the time. But who ever is saying anything as a fact should be able to explain why and provide links to the supporting evidence.
There will of course be differences of opinion and we need to be able to find several examples of evidence to support every finding. There are lots of blogs I follow where generally speaking I think the information is generally correct BUT that doesn't mean I believe absolutely everything anyone else says. I still want to see the evidence and I think we need to see not just one example but several to show that vested interests haven't skewed the facts. Even if something is generally true in humans that x causes Y we have to consider if the same would hold true if the humans in which they discovered X caused y were vitamin D, magnesium replete and had an omega 3<>omega 6 ratio of below 1<>4.5. The trouble with modern nutritional research is it's conducted in humans who are well on the way to metabolic syndrome.

Bodies that are loaded with pro inflammatory agents and starved of anti inflammatory defenses are like a bomb primed for detonation. Only when we see nutritional researchers correcting basic nutritional deficiencies BEFORE they start a trial will we know how normal healthy bodies react. At present most research is done on people who aren't diagnosed as ill but who are probably Vitamin D, omega 3, magnesium deficient. And I could go on and on and on.

u&iraok

Dearest kind2creatures, my hobby is behavioral psychology and I do believe there is no place on this earth where I can discuss this subject with any one in a rational manner without some one taking things very personal. Heck I don't consider 15 pounds plus as over weight. By the way my post was not intended to slam your entry in any way.
I look at this forum a lot ( It's a hang-up.) and your posts are very, very interesting
If you were a Behavioral Psycologist you'd probably have people coming to you who swear they don't eat much but have been told they're weak, without willpower. And then you might find it's true, they don't actually eat that much.

And you'd probably also have people with eating disorders who aren't overweight.

Of course with our society's food mania, unhealthy food and stressful living situations causing people to have an emotional connection with food, some do eat too much and/or don't exercise but our bodies are so messed up there's just too many reasons why people gain weight today. Many peoples' hunger signals won't shut off, some have messed up metabolisms caused by messed up endocrine systems.

I've never been overweight and no one in my family is. While part of it is diet and lifestyle I believe it's genetic. We are all thin and we stay thin. It's not fair and I feel like I need to stand up for others in this issue.