Why Are We So Fat? One Word - Sugar!

jbo

What's ironic is that I used to get diet sodas once a day at a minimum and thought zero sugar, but study after study shows it makes you hungrier and fatter than if you had a real soda.

Now I honestly only drink 3 things. Green or oolong tea every day, water for lunch and when I'm thirsty and one glass of red wine every night with dinner. Once a month or when there's a holliday or out with friends I'll have a few beers.

When I go out for lunch with some friends/coworkers there are two types of people who get water. Those that are cheap and those that are health conscious, but I think the majority are being cheap.

The follow on video was pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDVc2XAAvs&feature=autoplay&list=UL3-Kw0PjwwJQ&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1

PlainGreenJane

I agree. Sugar/bad carbs clearly does not help another person lose weight, or even maintain it for that matter.

I live in the midwest and I also notice a lot of people eating really fatty foods full of butter and fat. Do you think that is also another major cause of obesity?

I find it odd how we live in a more advanced society yet we have the worst eating habits...

Ted_Hutchinson

Original Poster
I agree. Sugar/bad carbs clearly does not help another person lose weight, or even maintain it for that matter.
Indeed sugar (and that includes HFCS and all corn syrup derivatives) are the leading cause of obesity.

I live in the midwest and I also notice a lot of people eating really fatty foods full of butter and fat. Do you think that is also another major cause of obesity?.
The satiety hormones cholecystokinin (CCK), glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), peptide YY (PYY) are activated by the passage of fat through the ileum. If we want to activate the brakes on appetite then we have have to apply the brakes.

If you remove the brakes to your car and Just rely on will power and self control to slow down will you have full control?

Look what happened when they brought out the advice to eat fewer calories and exercise more and eat LESS FAT.

The Lipid Hypothesis Has Officially Failed

PlainGreenJane

I wonder though if these patients exercised. If they were forced to exercise then I wouldn't expect that dramatic and increase in obesity. If they didn't then I wouldn't be completely shocked at that sharp increase in the graph you showed because carbs that sit there that are not burned then get turned into fat.

I also think much obesity comes from blatant inactivity and too much tv-watching....

Ted_Hutchinson

Original Poster
I also think much obesity comes from blatant inactivity and too much tv-watching....
Why would you think that.?

When they used to take obese people and give them bed rest , force them to stay in bed they lost weight.
What happens when you force feed animals?
They become lethargic.
Lethargy is the RESULT of consuming too many calories.

What we have to understand is what makes people consume too many calories?

We know that if you give people refined carbohydrates that causes blood glucose to rise and because that's dangerous the body raises insulin levels t to force that surplus glucose into fat cells. So the more glucose generating foods you consume the more your force your fat cells to grow bigger.
Fat Head

pinballdoctor

Its not just the carbs that are causing obesity, there are many other spokes in the wheel. Chemicals, including pesticides, artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, msg, artificial colors, hormone contaminated meat, lack of physical exercise, and deep fried foods just to name a few.

We don't shovel snow anymore, we use machines... same with cutting grass. We used to walk but now we drive everywhere. Hell, we don't even get up to change the channel anymore.

The fattest people in the United States live where? Thats right, the deep south... and what do they do differently than others? Thats right, they deep dry everything, and I do mean everything. The average life span is 20 years less than those from a northern state.

I just wonder what difference it would make if they used coconut oil instead of canola or other regular vegetable oil..

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I saw a report of folks from Lousianna, I think it was that state.. the reporter went to a town where everyone was obese... and I mean really obese. The folks there didnt care. Had not desire to change. Loved being fat and they all knew that they would likely die miserable and die young

Pathetic eh? Life is such a gift and what a waste they make of it.

jfh

perpetual student
Until about 30 years ago, as more and more western culture slipped in, Samoa was fat tolerant. American and Western Samoa. Obesity was considered a sign of spirituality.

What make them so fat? They have no grain crops. Fish? Palm oil? Sugar cane?

Ted_Hutchinson

Original Poster
Staple food choices in Samoa: Do changing dietary trends reflect local food preferences? The recent increases in obesity appear to be related to the increase in convenience foods.
Do You Know How Food Portions Have Changed in 20 Years?
Do bear in mind though that the science on which the 3500calories in a pound of fat is decidedly dodgy and if you examine the processes involved in gaining and pound of fat and losing a pound of fat you'll realise there is a reason why the past 30years of low fat exercise more eat less exercise more advice had been a total absolute disaster and will continue to be so.

jfh

perpetual student
The recent increases in obesity appear to be related to the increase in convenience foods.
According to oral history of several generations, the Samoans preferred obesity to lack thereof. It was considered that you were more spiritual, if you were obese. Perhaps, in the last 30 years, they have become even more obese, but this was the norm even prior to western influence.

I realize that oral history lacks certainty as does written. We can see that from how the east Indian Hindu religion was passed down throughout history and was distorted. So this could just be in the imaginations of the younger Samoan generation. Perhaps vain imaginings. Or wishful thinking in order to justify their condition.

Ted_Hutchinson

Original Poster
According to oral history of several generations, the Samoans preferred obesity to lack thereof. It was considered that you were more spiritual, if you were obese. Perhaps, in the last 30 years, they have become even more obese, but this was the norm even prior to western influence.

I realize that oral history lacks certainty as does written. We can see that from how the east Indian Hindu religion was passed down throughout history and was distorted. So this could just be in the imaginations of the younger Samoan generation. Perhaps vain imaginings. Or wishful thinking in order to justify their condition.
Certainly the fact parents and grandparents are obese imprints on the genes of future generations therefore most will be born with the propensity to gain weight. That still doesn't negate the fact that with more convenience (more highly sugared) foods the situation is worse now than it was.

mommysunshine

Wouldn't that be a cultural change "Obese individuals to be revered for high spirituality."

Watch, this will be the next slogan for Kelloggs on their Fruit Loops cereal boxes. Sales will soar.

natural_free

I would add though, that some people become obsessed with only not eating sugar. I know an overweight guy that tells me that you can only lose weight by not eating sugar, exercise doesn't make you lose weight! Can you believe anyone saying that! In his situation it seems as though he is to lazy to exercise and thinks that only because he avoids sugar he will lose weight.

jfh

perpetual student
I''m pretty sure I've told this story before. I have a nephew that was way overweight, when he was in high school. He did not exercise or change his diet from anything other than eliminating sodas and fruit drinks. Being in the southern states, he even eliminated sugar from his iced teas. He really only drank water, and a year later, he had lost 40 pounds.

Ted_Hutchinson

Original Poster
I know an overweight guy that tells me that you can only lose weight by not eating sugar, exercise doesn't make you lose weight! Can you believe anyone saying that! In his situation it seems as though he is to lazy to exercise and thinks that only because he avoids sugar he will lose weight.
There used to be a time when people realised that if you had a hard physical job you ate more, and if you went for a walk you would work up an appetite.
What happened to people.
When did they forget that the body is an adaptive organism and not a machine?
We used to put people to bed and make them stay there when we wanted them to lose weight.
We used to know that bread, pasta, sugars made your store fat and that foods like meat, fish and eggs allowed your body to burn fat.
Why have people become so brainwashed they can't understand how a low carb diet works.?
• High-carbohydrate (low-fat) diet. In a diet consisting of 70% carbohydrates and 30% protein with no fat, some protein will be used for body building and repair, and some will be converted into glucose. All the carbohydrates will be converted to glucose initially. This will result in a rapid and sustained elevation in blood glucose levels, stimulating insulin production. Insulin stimulates cells to uptake glucose, as well as increasing appetite, causing most people to eat again not long after eating a high-carbohydrate meal. Insulin stimulates the body to store fat.
Thus, a high-carbohydrate diet will provide excess of what is necessary for immediate energy usage. Some will be converted to glycogen and stored in the liver, but most is converted into fat for storage in the body tissues.
• High-fat (low-carbohydrate) diet. In a diet consisting of 30% protein, 70% fat with no carbohydrates, proteins will be used as before, but in the absence of carbohydrates the body must ‘burn’ the fat it consumes. This causes the body to ‘convert’ to a fat-burning engine instead of being primarily a glucose-burning engine. Fats, unlike carbohydrates, have a high satiety factor; fats make you feel full, and the satiety lasts for hours. Therefore, you tend to consume fewer calories on a high-fat diet than on a high-carbohydrate diet. Also, with a lower carbohydrate intake, the levels of insulin are low. Therefore, the fat you eat tends not to be stored. Thus a high-fat diet, in the absence of carbohydrates, typically results in weight loss.”

pinballdoctor

I know an overweight guy that tells me that you can only lose weight by not eating sugar, exercise doesn't make you lose weight!
This overweight guy is partly right.

You would have to run a mile to burn off the calories from one cheeseburger, so unless you workout like the people from "biggest loser" you won't lose weight.

Besides avoiding the fructose, the sugar, and all the simple carbs, the idea is to work out about an hour after a meal. That way, you can burn it before your liver stores it as fat.

4Peanuts

The meat, hormones, etc., etc.

This overweight guy is partly right.

You would have to run a mile to burn off the calories from one cheeseburger, so unless you workout like the people from "biggest loser" you won't lose weight.

Besides avoiding the fructose, the sugar, and all the simple carbs, the idea is to work out about an hour after a meal. That way, you can burn it before your liver stores it as fat.
Our diet isn't but 'simple carbs'.
I find a hard time staying away from: Pasta, breads, sugars, wheat/flour products and definitely ANYTHING that has to do with CORN (Genetically modified, altered, with mycotoxins that cooking can't kill.
The 'American' diet is just ATROCIOUS!!!! ....and really nothing left for any choice that will really make a difference...(the poisons are just getting too powerful to fight!).