Where to Buy Grass Fed Bologna?

limitme

Anyone know where you can buy grass fed bologna? I've been craving this stuff, but I don't want to buy the nasty stuff at the store with corn syrups and nitrates and CAFO beef.

I'm in the houston area. Or is there a place online?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Anyone know where you can buy grass fed bologna? I've been craving this stuff, but I don't want to buy the nasty stuff at the store with corn syrups and nitrates and CAFO beef.

I'm in the houston area. Or is there a place online?
Whole foods has some more natural lunch meats. The brand name is applegate farms.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
A great online source for grassfed meats is www.uswellnessmeats.com. They sell some bologne nitrite, nitrate and msg free. Thier jerky is really good too. My freezer is stocked with it.
People crack me up who make a livable salary but go cheap on food. I have one friend who spends easily 2-3 thou a yr on concerts but thinks organic is way too expensive.

jfh

perpetual student
I'd like to find a nitrite free olive loaf. That's what I miss.

I wonder what are the real ingredients of that store bought bologna. Tongue? Just curious, or maybe I don't really want to know.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food

I wonder what are the real ingredients of that store bought bologna. Tongue? Just curious, or maybe I don't really want to know.
Let your imagination be your guide and they cook it up in a ressure vat and process it into a paste and load tubes. Also, when dealing with nitrite free, they add celery juice in many products (nitrates) and an enzyme that converts the nitrates to nitrites.

limitme

Original Poster

I assume tongue is just as good for you as any other beef part.

Celery Juice...is that bad?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I assume tongue is just as good for you as any other beef part.

Celery Juice...is that bad?

No, not at all. It is the enzyme they add along with the celery juice that turns the nitrates to nitrites.

limitme

Original Poster
No, not at all. It is the enzyme they add along with the celery juice that turns the nitrates to nitrites.
so do you think its just as bad as adding nitrites? what is the enzyme ingredient? What do you look for on the label to see if they add the enzyme?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
so do you think its just as bad as adding nitrites? what is the enzyme ingredient? What do you look for on the label to see if they add the enzyme?

If it says celery juice, they have added the enzyme and I personally (no patricular reason) do not think it is as bad.
Although pricey, whole foods has some great stuff.

jfh

perpetual student
They claim that nitrites are added for color. So what's the excuse for the added celery enzyme? Why bother? Doesn't the industry know how the public feels about nitrites? Oh yes. That's right. Ignorant public.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
They claim that nitrites are added for color. So what's the excuse for the added celery enzyme? Why bother? Doesn't the industry know how the public feels about nitrites? Oh yes. That's right. Ignorant public.
Exactly even at whole foods you need to read the labels, some stuff is fantastic, but some stuff is pure junk.

EarlyBird

Limitme, do you have a super good Health Food Store that sells meats/foods?
If so, you might give them a call to see if they carry it or else maybe they can get some for you.

limitme

Original Poster
Limitme, do you have a super good Health Food Store that sells meats/foods?
If so, you might give them a call to see if they carry it or else maybe they can get some for you.
I don't think I do. I'm out in southeast houston. Although, at the clear lake shores farmer's market I do remember seeing someone selling grass fed beef. I need to check back and see if they sell bologna.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
here it is

davemo,

I don't have much time, but I found this quick (below).
I know Sausagemaker is a reputable place. One thing I noticed was it seems you're consumption of nitrites would be the same with this as with any other cure, so I don't see what the benefit would be.

Bearcarver

Can cured meats be produced without sodium nitrite?

Cured meats by their definition must include sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrite is the ingredient that gives a product like ham its color and taste. Without sodium nitrite, these products’ shelf life would be shortened substantially.

Some uncured products available today use vegetable-based ingredients like celery juice, which may contain nitrate naturally, to deliver a color and flavor similar to traditionally cured meats. When the sodium nitrate in celery, or other sodium nitrate-containing vegetables, is exposed to certain types of bacteria in the product, the nitrate is converted to sodium nitrite, which results in product characteristics similar to traditionally cured meat products. The amount of sodium nitrite consumed from these types of products versus traditionally cured meat products is virtually the same.

Source:
https://www.meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/45243/pid/45243

EarlyBird

I don't mean to be rude, but I can't imagine anyone actually craving Bologna. :lol: At the price & restrictions that these on-line sources require, maybe it would be wiser/easier
to just buy a good brand of bologna from your grocery store. Sure beats $200.00 worth of meats just
to get lunchmeat. How long do you expect this craving to last? Are you pregnant? :lol:

limitme

Original Poster
I don't mean to be rude, but I can't imagine anyone actually craving Bologna. :lol: At the price & restrictions that these on-line sources require, maybe it would be wiser/easier
to just buy a good brand of bologna from your grocery store. Sure beats $200.00 worth of meats just
to get lunchmeat. How long do you expect this craving to last? Are you pregnant? :lol:
I'm a man, so no...I hope I'm not pregnant. some of the online places were like 8 bucks a pound....seems fair. craving bologna? believe it. I like the taste. What can I say...sometimes I have trashy taste.