Sleep Position and Heart Health

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've thought about this for a long time since I like to sleep on my left side, but was surprised to hear it mentioned on a recent Dr. Oz show.

Dr. Oz said that when you sleep on your left side you're 'crowding' your heart and not giving it very much room. He said that it gets squeezed up against the chest cavity and someone who frequently sleeps on their left side may be opening themselves up for potential heart problems in the future.

Any thoughts on this?

RCannon

I heard another doctor say you SHOULD sleep on left. I always sleep on left because on right I get stomach pains. On the left, the heart is at the bottom so gravity helps the returning blood. The suction side of any pump has a harder time getting fluid because it has to suck it in.

CHinese say sleep on back. THis probably is the best.

Cookie

Lovin' life~
I've thought about this for a long time since I like to sleep on my left side, but was surprised to hear it mentioned on a recent Dr. Oz show.

Dr. Oz said that when you sleep on your left side you're 'crowding' your heart and not giving it very much room. He said that it gets squeezed up against the chest cavity and someone who frequently sleeps on their left side may be opening themselves up for potential heart problems in the future.

Any thoughts on this?
If my memory serves me right, our hearts are in the middle of our chest and there might be a little more heart leaning toward the left. But, i don't see how that would make a significant difference in regard to more pressure on the left over the right while sleeping.

Although, I have a mitral valve prolapse & I do have difficulty sleeping on my left side as it brings on irrigular heart beats, yet I'm fine on my right side. hmmm He might be on to something.