Obesity (Exercise and Diet)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
The role that exercise and healthy eating plays in treating and preventing obesity...

Being overweight or obese, is one of the major health problems related to nutrition in the United States today. Obesity is when one's weight is 15% over what is considered average for that person's height and frame. Morbid obesity is when the excess weight is 20% or more above what is considered normal.

A simple guideline to judge what is considered to be normal, overweight or obese is the BMI (Body Mass Index). The body to fat ratio is clarified by using one of these charts. You can determine which category you fall into, by entering your height and weight.

Obesity

The main cause of obesity in both children and adults is a combination of overeating and lack of exercise. Excessive ingestion of simple carbohydrates, fatty foods and sugars will definitely lead to excess fat and obesity. It is said that one pound of fatty tissue is equal to 3500 calories.

Glandular malfunction, emotional stress, boredom, bad habits, and an unreasonable love of food, are also common reasons for excessive weight gain. In many cases, people will overeat to compensate for emotional shortcomings, such as lack of love or attention from others. The quality of food that is eaten is also a great contributor, many fast foods and processed foods are high in salt, sugar (high fructose corn syrup/HFCS) and contain unhealthy fats in excessive amounts.

Caloric intake must be comparable to calories that are burned. Calories may be burned up by the basal metabolism, which includes normal bodily functions like breathing and digestion. More substantial amounts of calories can be burned or used up with exercise. When the number of calories used during the day exceeds the amount consumed, the body oxidizes its supply of fat to produce energy, and thereby a reduction of weight results. A daily reduction of 1,000 calories a day, can result in approximately 2 pounds of weight loss per week.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE: https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Obesity_(Overweight)
https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Obesity_%28Overweight%29

Ted_Hutchinson

Whenever you read an article that says
" One pound of fatty tissue is equal to 3500 calories."

You have to ask WHERE DID THEY GET THAT FROM?

Where in the scientific research literature did they PROVE that it only requires you to reduce calorie intake by 3500calories to lose 1lb of fat?

We have been repeating this myth for far too many years now and it really is about time that people noticed that when people go on a diet and increase their exercise it never works out the way they expect.

The Calorie Myth

Ted_Hutchinson

Religiously monitor you dieting habits.
Why for goodness sake. Most animals living in the wild eat when they are hungry the foods they evolved to consume and maintain appropriate weight for that species. If humans did the same there would be no problem.

Always strive to eat a wide variety of low-calorie and nutritional diets in moderate servings.
If you base your diet on low calorie foods these inevitably will leave you feeling hungry and dissatisfied. The foods you should eat are high calorie nutrient dense foods that have a reasonable amount of fat in them. It's FAT that signals to the brain you are full. Telling people to eat low calorie foods (those foods that don't contain fat) will ensure failure.

[*]Exercise regularly. Because of my health condition exercise isn't an option for me. I found that eating a low carbohydrate high fat diet enabled me to lose weight without exercise and without having to waste time on unnecessary exercise. I do believe that exercise is healthy but as a part of a weight loss plan it's probably counterproductive. When you've lost weight you will feel like exercising more and you'll find it more enjoyable.

[*]There is no health hazard number three. Just ensure your dietary habits and physical exercise programs are healthy,
I suppose that's true but it's very easy to be misled into thinking what experts are saying is healthy, the fact is that for the last 30 yrs what the experts have been telling us about healthy eating has been wrong and it's about time people started thinking for themselves and stopped repeating the tired old myths that have led to the current situation.

Try listening to this video.
Crisis In Nutrition IV - Vox Populi

Kelly Thundercloud

Hey Ted!

You really have a point and you have a wonderfully refreshing view on nutrition. I wish more people could think they way you do. People are brainwashed into believing the mainstream media and the "popular" health topics. I've been trying to argue a similar viewpoint for years and have found very little support.

jbo

Whenever you read an article that says
" One pound of fatty tissue is equal to 3500 calories."

You have to ask WHERE DID THEY GET THAT FROM?

Where in the scientific research literature did they PROVE that it only requires you to reduce calorie intake by 3500calories to lose 1lb of fat?

We have been repeating this myth for far too many years now and it really is about time that people noticed that when people go on a diet and increase their exercise it never works out the way they expect.

The Calorie Myth

I agree completely. I think research has also shown that not all calories are equal, not all fat, protein and carbs are equal either. I guess 3500 calories to a pound may just be a rule of thumb and not meant for people to really think it's accurate.

I've also heard that you should eat 10-12 times your bodyweight in calories to lose weight. So a 200 pound person would consume 2,000 to 2,400 calories a day. I think this is also just a silly guidance as well

ozzie

I have managed to lose weight, 8lb in six weeks and am now down to my Ideal weight, 58lkilos, and that was just by cutting out sugary foods, eating the right type of fat eating plenty of fruit and veg and walking briskly for 30 mins a day, and I do believe that masticating each mouthful of food helps as well.
walking also helps your bones.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I have managed to lose weight, 8lb in six weeks and am now down to my Ideal weight, 58lkilos, and that was just by cutting out sugary foods, eating the right type of fat eating plenty of fruit and veg and walking briskly for 30 mins a day, and I do believe that masticating each mouthful of food helps as well.
walking also helps your bones.
Kudos on your weight loss ozzie, that's great! I agree that smart eating and brisk walks help with losing weight. Also walking is considered a weight-bearing exercise, so definitely good for bone health.