Chronic Insomnia

mommysunshine

I'm losing it! For the past 6 months I've had insomnia. I use to sleep like a rock! I can't get a grasp on what it causing this or how to help it.

Yesterday I took 600 mg. of magnesium citrate throughout the day then 6 mg. of melatonin before bed (and serrapeptase for venous health). Thought I would sleep good but nope, up at 1 AM and back to sleep at 5:30 AM.

I've got valerian in herb form. I'll add that to the program above. What gives?

I'm so tired of being "needy" with health issues....

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Mommysunshine, you have a lot on your mind with your daughter's health issues, trying to overcome the unhealthy air where you live, etc., etc. I'm sure it's is stress, and not having a peaceful mind for sleep. Your thoughts are probably still going a mile a minute for at least an hour after you hit the pillow.

It's not always easy to do, but you have to try and unwind before bed, it helps. I really like using Solaray Sleep Blend SP-17 for sleep. It has valerian, hops, skullcap, passion flower, dandelion, chamomile, marshmallow and hawthorn.

I don't like taking large amounts of melatonin, because I get a headache in the morning, but I do take it every night. If I use the Solaray with just a half tablet of Schiff melatonin plus (with theanine), which is only 1 1/2mg, I sleep like a baby, with no morning hangover. Another option for you is time-released melatonin along with the herbal capsule. Worth a try.

You have more than your fair share of health problems, but I give you a lot of credit for addressing them, and in a natural way. Hope you're sleeping better soon, and having sweet dreams. :sleep:

Audi

mommysunshine, I dont know what your other health issues are but you sound like I get when my thyroid goes into overdrive, I can go days without sleep
when it settles down I always sleep like a log, one of the triggers for my thryoid being over stimulated is stress...the adrenals and thyroid are so closely connected that if you have problems with one there will be problems with the other, they can also cause a lot of other symptoms
might be an idea to get them checked out if you havent already

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Often sleep problems have to do with the liver.
One thing I have noticed about MMS use is that many people report restored sleep.
Insomnia is a huge issue with health imbalance... and frequently it comes down to the liver. MMS detoxs the liver.

pinballdoctor

Stress?

Electric/lights on in the bedroom, such as digital alarm clock/radio?

Any wiring in wall near where your head would be? (even if there is nothing plugged into an outlet, there is still power to it)

I would double up on the melatonin about 20 minutes before bed, and if you should wake up during the night, just remind yourself to not let your mind wonder about the days events.

I would also consider St. Johns wort.

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Last night was one of my worst nights. Slept two hours (8-10 PM) up for 7 (10 PM-5 AM) then back to sleep for 3 hours (5 AM - 8 AM).

. I really like using Solaray Sleep Blend SP-17 for sleep. It has valerian, hops, skullcap, passion flower, dandelion, chamomile, marshmallow and hawthorn.
I picked up this product tonight. Looking forward to seeing how it helps.

One of the triggers for my thryoid being over stimulated is stress...the adrenals and thyroid are so closely connected that if you have problems with one there will be problems with the other, they can also cause a lot of other symptoms
Are you taking anything for your thyroid or to help with stress? Stress....I'm living in the muck of it. I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid by a medical doctor then told a couple years later by a hematologist that I don't have Hashimotos but have an overworked liver. I have been taking some Homozon which is an ozone/oxygen supplement. Maybe this is stimulating something.

Often sleep problems have to do with the liver.
One thing I have noticed about MMS use is that many people report restored sleep.
Insomnia is a huge issue with health imbalance... and frequently it comes down to the liver. MMS detoxs the liver.
Hmmm,very interesting about MMS. I have no education on that product so I purchased a book today. My liver is shot. Been doing liver flushes for several months and have removed about 300 stones. My liver does ache though especially with eating saturated fat.

Stress?

Electric/lights on in the bedroom, such as digital alarm clock/radio?

Any wiring in wall near where your head would be? (even if there is nothing plugged into an outlet, there is still power to it)

I would double up on the melatonin about 20 minutes before bed, and if you should wake up during the night, just remind yourself to not let your mind wonder about the days events.

I would also consider St. Johns wort.
Stress? Ahhh just a little.....stress about becoming submerged in water with Edgar Cayces prediction of pole shifting, fear of Fukushima fallout throughout my lovely state of CA even my own yard, panic that the sunny blue skies and dry weather have changed to dreary, cloudy, with more moisture in the air weather, fear for my daughter who is pale most of the time, stress....yes, it's dominant right now.

I was proactive with the wall wiring in the bedroom. We have shut off the two circuit breakers in the bedroom so we don't receive any EMF's from wiring.

There are two air purifiers in the room that have lights on them. I've covered them but a little bit of light does peep out. I'll cover them better tonight.

When you mentioned the St. Johns Wort do you think a simple tea throughout the day or just at night or do I need it more potent in a tincture?

You guys are so helpful! Thanks a million!!!!!! Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.

tuina

External fixes and therapies may help to restore balance, but according to my training and experience, nothing will really work in the long term unless your daily life is supporting and nourishing your health.

How is your basic diet? Do you have a daily intake of simple, natural, nourishing food that provides the nutrients you need and does not irritate your body?

Are you using any harsh stimulants such as coffee or television?

Are your emotional responses to situations proportionate and free-flowing?

Do you have a daily practice in some kind of traditionally validated holistic exercise system?

Unless these things are in place, the external fixes and therapies are just bailing out water from a leaky boat.

Audi

Are you taking anything for your thyroid or to help with stress? Stress....I'm living in the muck of it. I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid by a medical doctor then told a couple years later by a hematologist that I don't have Hashimotos but have an overworked liver. I have been taking some Homozon which is an ozone/oxygen supplement. Maybe this is stimulating something.

my thyroid is the exact opposite to hypothyroidism ( hyperthyroidism) when it goes in overdrive I take a product called thyrocalm that helps settle it down but if you were diagnosed as being hypothyroid it would not be of any benefit to you.
how ever the thyroid whether it be hypo or hyper does have an affect on the liver..have you tried taking 'milk thistle' , it helps protect and restore liver cells ...it also might be a good idea to get your thyroid checked out again

jfh

perpetual student
my thyroid is the exact opposite to hypothyroidism ( hyperthyroidism) when it goes in overdrive I take a product called thyrocalm that helps settle it down but if you were diagnosed as being hypothyroid it would not be of any benefit to you.
how ever the thyroid whether it be hypo or hyper does have an affect on the liver..have you tried taking 'milk thistle' , it helps protect and restore liver cells ...it also might be a good idea to get your thyroid checked out again
I agree Audi. The thyroid affects numerous functions with the body. The adrenals, being the master gland, do too. One Indian herb has a beneficial affect for both. Ashwagandha. It also is great for chronic liver problems. It is also an adaptogen, so very good for the adrenals. It is easy to find at your online supplement vendors or even local heath shops. I am taking 400mg per day for only one month, then take a break, then start again.

Patients with thyroid issues sometimes seek relief from Ashwagandha root; whereby, certain components of the root increase glucose-6-phosphatase function in the liver, thereby increasing thyroid function, according to various holistic practitioners.

From animal studies with mice, researchers at D.A. University in Indore, India suggest that Ashwagandha root extracts have the ability to stimulate thyroid hormones. Basically, the data suggests that Ashwagandha increases serum concentrations of thyroid hormones; thus, one case study states that excessive hormonal effects, or thyrotoxicosis, may be quite a serious side effect of the root. This may mean that those suffering hypothyroidism will temporarily suffer hyperthyroidism and vice versa. Studies also provide evidence that ceasing supplementation corrects thyrotoxicosis.

While Ashwagandha has not been extensively studied for thyroid health to date, some patients say that short-term use of Ashwagandha, or its periodic use, provides relief from symptoms of hypothyroidism, most notably chronic fatigue and decreased sexual libido. All reports advise caution while supplementing with Ashwagandha, as there is simply not enough scientific evidence to support its continued, chronic use. It is necessary to work closely with a medical practitioner before, during and after a decision to implement Ashwagandha usage for thyroid health.

Other animal studies provide information that Ashwagandha root extracts stimulate the cells of the immune system, decrease swelling and increase brain function, or memory capacity. Historic Indian Ayurvedic medical practitioners often touted Ashwagandha as an adaptogen, i.e. an herbal remedy which defeats the ill effects of stress and boosts overall wellness. Typical dosing remains at 3-6 grams of the dried root per day and may be purchased in capsule, powder, tincture, or tea formats.

Ashwagandha, which means horse's odor in the ancient Indian Sanskrit language, is currently the subject of conflicting evidence for its use in regulating or treating thyroid issues. Nevertheless, Ashwagandha root remains on the cutting edge of new scientific breakthroughs for medical treatments of thyroid and other health issues.

Studies already completed provide evidence that Ashwagandha helps in easing drug withdrawal symptoms and in reducing anxiety and painful arthritis of the knees. Ongoing studies for Ashwagandha use in Tuberculosis, Parkinson's Disease, Bone Cancer, Bipolar Disorder, and Diabetes patients are either currently underway or recently completed.

https://www.naturalnews.com/032025_Ashwagandha_thyroid.html

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Remember when I told you about the detox I had with a homeoapthic remedy, all the old poison oak came out on my arms that had been repressed with a steroid?

That was a major homoepathic clearing for me.. previous to taking that remedy I had blisters break out all over my body every winter, and I had huge insomnia problems. A few days after I started the constitutional remedy the insomnia went away.. as it should with any correctly applied homopathic remedy... in homeopathic theory the symtpoms of the mind are the first to heal. and this will be clearly noticable if your mental symtoms are strong... symtoms retract from the skin to the inside of the body in the revese order of appearance in your medical history...

You may do well with a homeoapthic consultation... but I strongly advise not to do it on line.

Meanwhile when I was suffering from insomnia before the correct homeopathic constitutional remedy was selected for me I got by with some not so well selected remedies that did help with my insomnia... but they were not curative as the correctly selected remedy constitutional required the skill of a professional to select.

The couple of remedies that are known to work for insomia and that did help me were Coffea 30c, passionflower 30c. Coffea worked best for me. Passionflower never got me into a real deep sleep so I stopped using that but it could be different for you. These are classic acute remedies known for their ability to help people sleep

I also use Heel Homeopathic combination remedies at times and have found them very effective for certain things. They have this combo remedy that I have heard very good reports about that you might try...of course I doubt that this will cure but it may help you to get by night to night. It appears that this Heel remedy has coffea and passionflower in it both so Id give that a try

https://www.iherb.com/Heel-BHI-Neurexan-Homeopathic-Medicine-60-Tablets/8175?at=0

Generally when I use remedies in this manner they may work with just one dose, but sometimes I have to dose 2 or 3 times in a 30 to 45 minute period. If you are not asleep within an hour the remedy is not working for you.

another thing that is helpful is a warm cup of milk with honey before bed. Milk has tryptophan which is an amino acid known for helping with sleep... its why babies fall asleep when feeding.

My alternative medical doc says that theanine works..you get that in capsules. I dont know which is the best choice in brand here.
https://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=theanine

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Foods That Help You Sleep

Was watching Dr. Oz today and he had a woman on who spoke about foods that help us to sleep when taken 1/2 hour to 1 hour before bed.

Pumpkin Seed Powder is supposed to be rich with tryptophane, and she recommended taking it with a carb like applesauce before bed.

Montmorency Cherry Juice has melatonin.

"Scottish" Oatmeal helps the nervous system relax, and it has tryptophane and melatonin. She gives her young daughter 1/4 cup nightly, and recommends 1/2 - 1 cup for adults.

I forget which ones dandelion greens have, but she recommended having them as a salad either for dinner, or 1 hour before bed. :sleep:

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I have been up since 1 am, but I fell asleep at 9. I will probably be back asleep in a couple hrs. Try waiting until 11 to hit the bed and eat some pumpkin seeds 15 minutes before

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Was watching Dr. Oz today and he had a woman on who spoke about foods that help us to sleep when taken 1/2 hour to 1 hour before bed.

Pumpkin Seed Powder is supposed to be rich with tryptophane, and she recommended taking it with a carb like applesauce before bed.

Montmorency Cherry Juice has melatonin.

"Scottish" Oatmeal helps the nervous system relax, and it has tryptophane and melatonin. She gives her young daughter 1/4 cup nightly, and recommends 1/2 - 1 cup for adults.

I forget which ones dandelion greens have, but she recommended having them as a salad either for dinner, or 1 hour before bed. :sleep:
I do miss out on some of the goodies Dr. Oz shares. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it is hormone related because my insomnia began after I had my daughter and test results show little to no estrogen which can cause insomnia. I would like to print this entire thread though because there are great suggestions to keep on hand. Pinballdoctor nailed it on the head with suggesting St. Johns Wort. Good stuff!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Old report of a test on a few brands of St. John's Wort from ConsumerLabs...

St. John's Wort

Nature's Sunshine = .18 mcg cadmium (per gram)

Standard Process = .32 "
Solaray = .86 ", plus 1.1-2.2mcg lead
Free Life Bepeze = 22.6% of claimed hypericin
LA Naturals = 36.2% "

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Old report of a test on a few brands of St. John's Wort from ConsumerLabs...
What? I have had thoughts of herbs/food being grown outdoors in soil that has been chemtrailed for over 10 years. If they're not organic then probably filled with pesticides. There has to be metals in everything we eat because they are in our air, soil and water. It's rather depressing. What to do? If you take a chelator with each meal then it'll take iron and other minerals we need too. It's quite the delima.