Body Weight and Stress On Joints

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Heard this on a radio show a couple of days ago...

For every pound of body weight you gain, your knees gain three pounds of added stress; for hips, each pound translates into six times the pressure on the joints.

With every step you take, your moving body puts pressure roughly equal to three times your weight on your hips and knees.

Being only 10 pounds overweight increases the force on the knee by 30-60 pounds with each step.

Overweight women have nearly 4 times the risk of knee OA; for overweight men the risk is five times greater.

If you lose just 1 pound, you reduce by 4 pounds the force your knees must absorb when you walk.

https://www.aboutstryker.com/shoulder/treating/non-surgical.php

Vicbowling

Wow, that's pretty interesting! No wonder my knees have begun to hurt me the last year, I've gained about 20 pounds. It's really not pleasant to have hurting knees all the time especially when I walk everywhere. I guess I have to make a serious effort to lose weight. The only thing is, even if I lose weight will my knees get any better or am I doomed now to suffer with aching knees all the time (indefinitely)?

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I know for a fact your knees will feel better if you have not developed arthritis. This is a common result for people who loose weight. Their joints feel better.