kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Benefits of coconuts and coconut oil...

Coconut oil is an anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-fungal and antioxidant. It's been used to kill viruses in cases of influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, etc. Some conditions where it proves to be effecive as an antibacterial are ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), gum disease, pneumonia, etc. Conditions such as candidiasis, ringworm, athete's foot and diaper rash are improved with the use of Coconut oil due to its anti-fungal and anti-yeast properties.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Coconut

ozzie

That sounds interesting K2c will have a look for some in our health food store, always handy to have things like this on hand.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
That sounds interesting K2c will have a look for some in our health food store, always handy to have things like this on hand.
I just picked up some at my local store. I've been using Nature's Way EfaGold coconut oil, with 62% MCTs (medium chain tryglycerides "good fats").

It's certified Organic, non-GMO, cold pressed, hexane-free, zero trans fats & hydrogenated fat, pure "extra virgin", unrefined and non-bleached.

I take a spoonful a day, it's good for the skin and helps in the prevention of Alzheimer's Disease (main reason I'm taking it).

HeavyTZM

You can get coconut oil way cheaper on Amazon than in the stores. I eat it for benefits, but I also love it. I crave the stuff all day.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
You can get coconut oil way cheaper on Amazon than in the stores. I eat it for benefits, but I also love it. I crave the stuff all day.
Welcome to the forum HeavyTZM! I agree, things are a lot cheaper online.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I eat it for benefits, but I also love it. I crave the stuff all day.
I use it in my morning coffee, and sometimes mixed with hot water, lemon and honey. Also use it sometimes in cake mixes. How do you take it, do you like it well enough to eat it right out of the jar? I oil-pull with it sometimes, but I get the urge to gag pretty quickly and have to spit it out before time, although I do like the smell and the flavor.

HeavyTZM

what is oil-pulling?

I do like it well enough to eat it straight out of the jar. When I crave it, I feel it's more of my body craving it than my mind. Sometimes I like to just put it on crackers, bread, or taste as if it were butter. Sometimes I'll put a bit in my oats. Here are a few "recipes" I have come up with:

1 tbs raw honey spread on bread or crackerbread topped with cacao nibs then topped with 1 tbs of coconut oil. I then put it in the fridge or freezer for 10 mins. It's good without the nibs to.

1 tbs raw honey, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs raw cacao powder. I mix all of these in a small bowl until a chocolate frosting type paste has come together. Then you can put it on anything. I like to spread it on a sliced banana (sliced into fours) and then freeze it.

I do this next one with the magic bullet. I put 1 tbs of raw cacao powder in with 1 cup of warm almond milk. I then add 1 tbs of raw honey and 1 tbs of coconut oil. Sometimes I add a little vanilla to. I then put the whipping blade on and mix it on the magic bullet. It's great! Like a coffee house specialty or something. You can also let it chill after you mix it, its just easier for the cacao powder to dissolve if the almond milk is warm.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
what is oil-pulling?
It's swishing an oil in your mouth through your teeth for approximately 20 minutes and then spitting it out, as it is usually done in the mornings and there's a lot of bacteria in it when you're done. Other oils are used, but I only tried EVCO, since I already liked the taste and knew the benefits.

It's supposed to have many benefits, aside from keeping the gums healthy. I found that after I did it, especially at first, some phlegm was coming up from my throat shortly afterwards. To me that in itself made it worth doing. I started to have a gag reflex, and could no longer hold it in my mouth without running to the sink to spit after a few minutes, so I stopped.

Here's a site with more info, and thanks for sharing your recipes.

https://oilpulling.com/