Bad Insomnia

mindytyson3

Hello all! I am new to forum! I am 29 years old and a housewife right now. Looking for a job! But that is it for that..ha. Anyways, I have bad insomnia! I had it when i was a teen and still have it. I went to the doctor a couple of years ago and they prescribed me Lunesta and it worked awesome. didn't give me but maybe 3 months worth and they wouldn't give me anymore. after a couple days of being off of it i didn't want it. but i did get my insomnia back! not good! anyways, went back to doctor last year they gave me a generic brand name for ambien. it helped but not like lunesta did ha. well only gave me 2 months of that didn't give me anymore. then i had problems with my thyroid so gave me medicine for that and still taking them. never had thyroid problems before but still have my bad insomnia. i went to bed tonight around 10 p and got up about 12 a.m. because i couldn't sleep! my eyes wanted too but the rest of my body said NO! well i tried melatonin and didn't work. tried advil pm and it helped! but i didn't know if i should take this for the rest of my life for insomnia or not so got myself off of it after 2 boxes of them. now still insomnia and driving me nuts and doctors won't do anything for it. what can i do to sleep! it is now 2 a.m. and my eyes wanna shut but my body does not want too! help please! thanks!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
You should stay away from the prescription meds for sleep, they are not good for the body or brain. Aside from the sleep blend we spoke of, the amino acid L-Theanine may help.

More importantly, you should be seroiusly be making some changes in everyday habits in regards to unwinding in the evenings, and making the bedroom a quiet restful place to be. Also eating late at night doesn't help, or drinking any alcoholic beverage either.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Insomnia

jbo

If you have stress and anxiety you should consider trying saint john's wart. This has helped me sleep when I had some stress and anxiety issue. I personally take melatonin every night and drink chamomile every now and then. For dinner I drink one glass of red wine, which seems to relax me that a few hours later I feel ads to my sleeping. I've heard if you drink two glasses it will make things worse and there are some who are against all alcohol, but I'm just giving you advice on what has helped me. I used to have a horrible issue sleeping and used to take ambien every night for probably a year.

mindytyson3

Original Poster
You should stay away from the prescription meds for sleep, they are not good for the body or brain. Aside from the sleep blend we spoke of, the amino acid L-Theanine may help.

More importantly, you should be seroiusly be making some changes in everyday habits in regards to unwinding in the evenings, and making the bedroom a quiet restful place to be. Also eating late at night doesn't help, or drinking any alcoholic beverage either.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Insomnia
Ok thank you! I will see what I can do..ha. :)

mindytyson3

Original Poster
If you have stress and anxiety you should consider trying saint john's wart. This has helped me sleep when I had some stress and anxiety issue. I personally take melatonin every night and drink chamomile every now and then. For dinner I drink one glass of red wine, which seems to relax me that a few hours later I feel ads to my sleeping. I've heard if you drink two glasses it will make things worse and there are some who are against all alcohol, but I'm just giving you advice on what has helped me. I used to have a horrible issue sleeping and used to take ambien every night for probably a year.
Well personally I don't drink so that wouldn't go good with me ha. how much melatonin is safe for me to take? i have taken 10mgs and that didn't help. thanks for the advice! :)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Well personally I don't drink so that wouldn't go good with me ha. how much melatonin is safe for me to take? i have taken 10mgs and that didn't help. thanks for the advice! :)
I don't think large amounts of melatonin are needed, or healthy to take. I recommend only 3 mg. I use Schiff melatonin with Theanine, 3 mg tabs, but I actually cut mine in half.

My husband uses less than a milligram sublingual from Source Naturals, and it works for him. The melatonin can be taken in addition to the Sleep Blend.

Keep in mind that melatonin is not a sleeping pill that will just knock you out. It is not effective at all in conditions where there is light in the room. A dark room is always preferable to get the full effect of melatonin.

jbo

10mgs is the triple strength and there is a misconception that more is stronger. Some people get better sleep with 2mgs, while others get better sleep with 5mgs.

I personally only take time-release melatonin and I take 6mgs in total. So 3mgs and then another 3mgs are released later. I sleep drastically better with 6mg of time release than 10mgs of melatonin. 3mgs alone might work better for you.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Mindy, welcome to the forum. I had insomnia for yrs and back in 01 I went to a health spa in canada and had a swedish massage, la stone therapy and a cranial sacral therapy and the insomnia magically dissapeared.

mindytyson3

Original Poster
thank you all for the help..

saved1986 that sounds awesome i can't afford anything like that right now though but i wish i could! never had any kind of massage before! lol.

ophiuchus

titan
how much melatonin is safe for me to take? i have taken 10mgs and that didn't help.
definitely less is more with melatonin. i'd only recommend 1 mg, if 2 doesn't work then find another method. 10mg is WAY too much and at this dose it starts to do something different to the body. it is no longer a sleep aid past a threshold dose.

you need to get on some meditation, STAT. i used to have this problem when i was a child. on a good night it would take me over an hour to fall asleep... the practice of meditation should be nothing more than giving yourself some time in the middle of the afternoon, like say, right before you eat lunch, to just put yourself in as peaceful and quiet of an environment as you can find, and just sit on the floor or in a chair (whichever is most comfortable) and close your eyes. during this time maybe 10-20 min (less is fine starting out) you will want to just focus on observing your thoughts, and try not to entertain them, as soon as you catch yourself entertaining the thoughts flowing into your head, just breathe deep, and reset, let it go. this method is what will help while in bed, but to kickstart the whole thing extra practice during the day may be needed

the important thing to realize is that one has ZERO control over the thoughts coming to them, BUT, over time, one can condition the ability to recognize when one is overthinking, which will allow them to be able to let go of the thought. this will cause peace of mind over time and sleep will no longer be an issue.

sleep well tonight:) let it come. let it be. let it go.

mindytyson3

Original Poster
definitely less is more with melatonin. i'd only recommend 1 mg, if 2 doesn't work then find another method. 10mg is WAY too much and at this dose it starts to do something different to the body. it is no longer a sleep aid past a threshold dose.

you need to get on some meditation, STAT. i used to have this problem when i was a child. on a good night it would take me over an hour to fall asleep... the practice of meditation should be nothing more than giving yourself some time in the middle of the afternoon, like say, right before you eat lunch, to just put yourself in as peaceful and quiet of an environment as you can find, and just sit on the floor or in a chair (whichever is most comfortable) and close your eyes. during this time maybe 10-20 min (less is fine starting out) you will want to just focus on observing your thoughts, and try not to entertain them, as soon as you catch yourself entertaining the thoughts flowing into your head, just breathe deep, and reset, let it go. this method is what will help while in bed, but to kickstart the whole thing extra practice during the day may be needed

the important thing to realize is that one has ZERO control over the thoughts coming to them, BUT, over time, one can condition the ability to recognize when one is overthinking, which will allow them to be able to let go of the thought. this will cause peace of mind over time and sleep will no longer be an issue.

sleep well tonight:) let it come. let it be. let it go.
Thanks for the advice :)