acid reflux, silent reflux (LPR) + conflicting info online

naturegal

Hi folks,

I am struggling to try to find out all I can about acid reflux, silent reflux (lpr) and am lined up for an Endoscopy by a General Surgeon.

I still want to find out all I can on my own, but I am pulling out my hair by reading articles online, and finding such conflicting information:roll: Discovered the Alkaline thing and figured ok, I can do that, then I find out it's all about PH.

For many months I got rid of my heart "burn" by simply eating an apple no less than 1 hour before bed. But began having other symptoms that I "thought" were allergies (pnd, chronic dry cough/choking, sore throat, etc.

I have to go to the grocery store and today I am so stressed about all I've read and been confused by, that I am going to just eat smaller meals, and not after 5 or 6. Then only water after. More later, because I have to run, but hoping someone will chime in on this. Especially on (sorry to bring this up) the dang mucus I cannot get rid of.

Oh, and I have tinnitus, and it is so much worse now I have to have noise 24/7, even at night I have an app on my phone called Chrome-doze that makes a sound like a fan, but you can adjust the pitch to overcome the sound in you ears.

Thanks to anyone who might respond with helpful information, or just sharing your own experience, Denise

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I eat a small apple every evening too for heartburn and it works well. I've been taking 1/3 teaspoon of baking soda in the mornings every day to make my body more alkaline. That is mixed with a half cup of water and 2 tablespoons full of organic lemon juice. I learned that cancer thrives in acidic environment, so I wanted to improve my pH or alkalinity.

Since I've been doing this, months now, it seems to also have had a positive effect of my heartburn, and I can't remember when the last time it was I got acid reflux at night. Of course if you can't use salt or sodium, this isn't an option for you.

I've been having some mucus issues too, I take Mucinex or generic over the counter forum to thin the mucus so it comes up easier. I also take a dropper full of Wild Cherry Bark extract and drip it directly down my throat. This also helps to clear the phlegm. I'll only do this for a couple of days, then take a break from it.

Getting up your heartrate and increasing your breathing also helps clear mucus from the lungs.

I do get tinnitus in one ear once in awhile but it's not that bad. I stopped using earbuds to listen to the radio at night and that has made a big difference. I won't ever use them again, only headphones if needed on lower volume.

naturegal

Original Poster
I so appreciated reading your reply. I am not feeling well tonight as my ears have been ringing, and my head feels kind of dizzy. I feel afraid at times because there are so many things happening.

I am so interested in what you had to say because I have been searching a lot of articles on Acid Reflux, and now, I'm going to do more research on Tinnitus as mine is increasingly louder in both ears.

I wanted to acknowledge your replies as I am on 3 of the threads so far, that you have posted on tonight:) So, I was notified on my phone, then I opened up my laptop again so I could let you know I am reading all you've said.

I am looking forward to talking with you, and do hope you'll be back maybe tomorrow. I will write something more about what I am trying. I am trying the baking soda for the alkalinity, and to get rid of the mucus maybe;) But want to try some of the things you've mentioned. The apples did stop the "burn" for me, but now I have increasingly more issues, all tied in with the reflux I think.

Thanks so much, Denise
PS I love creatures too;)

Beach Man

Dr. David Williams provides an excellent explanation of the primary cause of acid reflux and heartburn and some innovative and useful tips and instructions on how to treat it using natural methods, including a unique and effective exercise or body movement to address any hiatal hernia problem. The important thing is, his advice and methods work! You can read about his "all-natural approach to treating acid reflux problems and chronic heartburn here:

https://www.drdavidwilliams.com/acid-reflux-natural-treatments

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I so appreciated reading your reply. I am not feeling well tonight as my ears have been ringing, and my head feels kind of dizzy. I feel afraid at times because there are so many things happening.

I am so interested in what you had to say because I have been searching a lot of articles on Acid Reflux, and now, I'm going to do more research on Tinnitus as mine is increasingly louder in both ears.

I wanted to acknowledge your replies as I am on 3 of the threads so far, that you have posted on tonight:) So, I was notified on my phone, then I opened up my laptop again so I could let you know I am reading all you've said.

I am looking forward to talking with you, and do hope you'll be back maybe tomorrow. I will write something more about what I am trying. I am trying the baking soda for the alkalinity, and to get rid of the mucus maybe;) But want to try some of the things you've mentioned. The apples did stop the "burn" for me, but now I have increasingly more issues, all tied in with the reflux I think.

Thanks so much, Denise
PS I love creatures too;)
Take care Denise, lie down for sure if you're feeling dizzy.

jfh

perpetual student
Dr. Mercola seems to have a different idea for reflux. Do not make your stomach more alkaline.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/02/heartburn-treatment.aspx

Insufficient amounts of stomach acid. One simple strategy to address this deficiency is to swap out processed table salt for an unprocessed version like Himalayan salt. By consuming enough of the raw material, you will encourage your body to make sufficient amounts of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) naturally.
Research22 has also shown that sauerkraut or cabbage juice is among the strongest stimulants for your body to produce stomach acid. It will also provide you with valuable bacteria to help balance and nourish your gut. Having a few teaspoons of fermented cabbage juice from sauerkraut before your meal will do wonders to improve your digestion. Fresh raw cabbage juice can also be very useful to heal resistant ulcers.

naturegal

Original Poster
Dr. David Williams provides an excellent explanation of the primary cause of acid reflux and heartburn and some innovative and useful tips and instructions on how to treat it using natural methods, including a unique and effective exercise or body movement to address any hiatal hernia problem. The important thing is, his advice and methods work! You can read about his "all-natural approach to treating acid reflux problems and chronic heartburn here:

https://www.drdavidwilliams.com/acid-reflux-natural-treatments
I read the info on David's blog. I can't remember now what was said so I need to go back and read. I do remember it was, yes, more on Hiatal Hernia which I still haven't a clear diagnosis. Thank you much for your reply.

naturegal

Original Poster
Dr. Mercola seems to have a different idea for reflux. Do not make your stomach more alkaline.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/02/heartburn-treatment.aspx
Yes, and there are several more conflicting articles with "doctors" disagreeing. That's why I can see that only "experimenting" on myself trying different things is probably the only way to know.

:( PS I know I have to try things, it's all trial and error etc. A lot of work, and so hard to fear I might make things worse, but I don't give up, don't misunderstand;)

naturegal

Original Poster
Ok, here is a rundown on the issues that are most glaring in my health right now.

Acid Reflux
Esophageal Spasms (guzzling down about 8 ounces of room temp water gets rid of these in seconds)
mucus (disgustingly thick and I can't cough it out, and it literally sticks in my throat)
dry cough/choking
feeling of food hanging in my esophagus
Tinnitus (might be related, might not be)
hot sweating, mostly in evenings and night
tummy aches after eating only at times

remedies so far (work to an extent)
alkalinized water using Baking soda or Lemon
irrigating with the real Sea Salt
eating small meals (5)
not eating after 6, or not lying down for at least 3 hours after eating
walking after eating some evenings.
an apple as a last snack (small or half a large)
propping up with pillows if I feel some discomfort in esophagus
about 4 of the 12 ounce glasses of water (w/bs or lemon)

I know I need more water, so trying that today.

There is more symptoms, but I am not sure they are related so I won't mention them now. On the Tinnitus, my friend d0ug here told me quite awhile ago, to up my calcium. I am now doing that for the bone-spurs in my neck. I think he might be right about my T because when it spikes, 2 things are also happening; my neck is having pain, but also, my sinuses are plugged.

I still am not sure I have allergies, just the silent reflux, or maybe both. I'm thinking both:confused::yuck:

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I agree with Mercola as far as not making the stomach too alkaline, I think stomach acids are a very important part of health and digestion. My sister had heartburn and acid reflux problems and her doctor had her on those prescription drugs that destroy your stomach acid, and they had her taking a couple a day. I don't know if it was Ranitidine or Famotidine, something like that. I don't think that's healthy at all, but that's what most doctors are trained to do, write scripts until they find one that works.

Since I already was doing the lemon water and bicarb in the mornings for alkalinity, and a positive side effect was less chance of heartburn or reflux at night, it's something I continue to practice.

I'm not an expert, I just read and decide for myself what make more sense, try it, and either stick with it or move on....so far so good. :)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
There is more symptoms, but I am not sure they are related so I won't mention them now. On the Tinnitus, my friend d0ug here told me quite awhile ago, to up my calcium. I am now doing that for the bone-spurs in my neck. I think he might be right about my T because when it spikes, 2 things are also happening; my neck is having pain, but also, my sinuses are plugged.
Are you taking magnesium along with the calcium Denise? Honestly, I cut out all calcium supplements years back, including Tums, because I think I get enough of it in my diet.

I don't like to have too much calcium intake because a lot of it may go into the arteries and cause blockage, strokes, etc.

My father in law had a major stroke that made him paralyzed and bedridden. His doctor said his carotid artery in his neck was 99% blocked with calcification. He was taking oyster calcium supplements for years, the blockage caused lack of oxygen to his brain.

I just take vitamin k2 and magnesium citrate daily and a few other supplements for bone and joint health.

I never had a bone spur, what causes them to form? Can you make them go away?

naturegal

Original Poster
Are you taking magnesium along with the calcium Denise? Honestly, I cut out all calcium supplements years back, including Tums, because I think I get enough of it in my diet.

I don't like to have too much calcium intake because a lot of it may go into the arteries and cause blockage, strokes, etc.

My father in law had a major stroke that made him paralyzed and bedridden. His doctor said his carotid artery in his neck was 99% blocked with calcification. He was taking oyster calcium supplements for years, the blockage caused lack of oxygen to his brain.

I just take vitamin k2 and magnesium citrate daily and a few other supplements for bone and joint health.

I'm doing this voice to text but I did want to answer because yes the calcium scares me a little as well so I'm glad you wrote about it I'm not taking much I only take one a day and I think their 630mg and they are will not 630mg whatever vitamins are I don't even take a thousand unit today but and no magnesium so far and I try to take my joint support supplement which is MSM chondroitin and glucosamine so that's about it as far as supplements sorry again about the text but I close down my laptop and I'm too lazy to get back up and open it open it up I'm in my recliner and being lazy watching a movie thanks a lot for sharing this stuff with me though

naturegal

Original Poster

Or I didn't cover your question about bone spurs I saw them on the X-ray and they just look like little pieces of bone sticking out their kind of rounded they're not sharp like they sound but I suppose it could be I heard that if you had enough calcium in your body you could they would actually go back in or grow back in or something I don't know how that works anyway they hurt and that's what I'm thinking is maybe causing some pain or some tinnitus in my ears because my neck hurts most on the on the left side and that's where the bone spurs are and it's my left ear that has the worst tinnitus in it although I do have tinnitus on the right side to it feels like anyway

naturegal

Original Poster
What form of calcium are you taking? I also take a MSM and Glucosamine supplement daily.
Citrate I take the calcium citrate because it's supposed to dissolve easier in your stomach whether you eat food with it or not and it also has D in it but I've honestly only been taking it for about a week so I probably will back off for a little bit and do some more research I guess the calcium carbonate is also good but I hear it is or it has to be taken with food so who knows it's always conflicting information I get you know some people believe one thing others believe another so you just have to you know the trial-and-error thing with your own body one thing I haven't mentioned tonight is that I don't have that horrible high-pitched ringing tonight I still have ringing in my ears but not like it was last night and I don't have that heavy headed feeling I mean my head just felt like I was full of cement and it wasn't like a sinus saying it was like my head just felt really full full of what I don't know lol

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I understand that calcium carbonate is the worst form to take, not absorbed well at all, that is the main ingredient in Tums antacid.

I'm glad you're using the citrate, that what I was using when I did take calcium supplements.

That must be hard to have such clogged sinuses and stuffy head, hope it breaks for you soon.

naturegal

Original Poster
I understand that calcium carbonate is the worst form to take, not absorbed well at all, that is the main ingredient in Tums antacid.

I'm glad you're using the citrate, that what I was using when I did take calcium supplements.

That must be hard to have such clogged sinuses and stuffy head, hope it breaks for you soon.
My head is clear tonight and the tinnitus is really mild but what I'm trying to figure out for myself is whether or not this is a allergy thing or is this the silent reflux which if you want to read about that all you have to do is Google silent reflux and or LPR which is the technical term for silent reflux someone else I can't remember who it was now but I wanted to reply in case their reading this is that they said that they read about the stomach actually not having enough acid being the theory like by Mercola I think they mentioned a dr. Mercola I read this also probably a couple of months ago and I wondered if that isn't a possibility except I was trying to figure out if there isn't enough acid in the stomach what makes the acid come up through our esophagus it doesn't seem like that realistic I'm not saying that isn't a possibility that there is not enough acid because as we get older our bodies get depleted of different things so it's all very confusing to me but yes I'm feeling much better tonight but I can't put my finger on why not yet anyway