54 yo w/ high liver enzymes and cholesterol problems

natural-mama

I'm posting on behalf of my mother. Posting in general because she has liver, cholesterol and diabetes concerns, so not sure where to begin and want to look at the whole picture. Her cholesterol is high but she's not taking statins (luckily IMO) because her liver enzymes are way too high. She's not an alcoholic, though she does/did enjoy drinking on occasion. My gut response is to get her on board with my natural lifestyle regarding diet recomendations, etc. and according to mercola.com this is the right approach. We're a primal (paleo-like household) so we limit grains and processed sugar and eat as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible and view the fats we eat as healthy and normal (caveman diet, or hunters/gatherers for those not familiar with the diet/lifestyle). She's at the gym this morning trying to incorporate some low-impact regular exercise into her weekly routine. I'm also inclined to recommend she continue supplementing with D3. Her 25-hydroxy results (vit D levels) are up from 13 to 47--yay! She thought her dr. said to stop taking the D3 supplements though, so I'm looking for information to see why. Especially since we're entering into winter weather, I'd like to see her keep those levels up! I should also add that she had her gall bladder removed about 10 years ago. PLEASE share any info you can! Other websites for me to view, herbal supplements, etc. She says she's on board to follow my directions for at least a month and re-test to re-evaluate the situation and if it's working, but I'm no dr. (although I admittedly sometimes think I know better than they do, lol). I'd like to send her to a naturopathic or homeopathic dr. but she had Kaiser and not sure we can afford to pick up the tab for her since I know their budget is tight. Hereare the links I sent her:

cholesterol
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/06/Tips-to-Lower-Cholesterol-Naturally.aspx

high liver enzymes
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/25/Exercise-Fights-Fatty-Liver-Disease.aspx

Below are her recent lab results, hopefully they paste in correctly.
ComponentYour resultStandard rangeUnits Cholesterol296<239 - mg/dL Triglyceride222<199 - mg/dL HDL47>45 - mg/dL Low density lipoprotein calculated205<129 - mg/dComponentYour resultStandard rangeUnits ALT123<36 - U/LComponentYour resultStandard rangeUnits Glucose, fasting13360 - 99mg/dL

I'm desperate for guidance and additional information here! I normally research things in depth and feel like I don't have time for that here. It's not like w/ my kids where I could postpone vaccines while I researched both sides. Sorry for the long post and TIA for any help!

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
If she is on statins, atop them now (she might want half a dose for a few days tahen she should stop). take Co-enzyme Q 100-200 mg daily. Start on milk thistle extract highest dose recommended on bottle. Give it a month and get them checked again. High cholesterol does not mean that much. Also she should start a good grade of fish oil.

natural-mama

Original Poster
If she is on statins, atop them now (she might want half a dose for a few days tahen she should stop). take Co-enzyme Q 100-200 mg daily. Start on milk thistle extract highest dose recommended on bottle. Give it a month and get them checked again. High cholesterol does not mean that much. Also she should start a good grade of fish oil.
Thank you! And she's off statins. Dr. only had her on them brieflt, but liver enzymes were rising too much so dr. took her off them. I think I'll order her some supplements! Any particular brands you recommend? I often shop through vitacost or my local health store ($expensive$).

natural-mama

Original Poster
She hasn't had the healthiest eating habits IMO either. Should I have her cleanse with a daily fresh lemon-ginger-water concoction daily too? I feel like I know what's healthy for me and my body, but am conservative about what to recommend her. I'm particularly clueless about the lack of gall bladder and how things interact with the liver. My natural instinct is that healthy is healthy, but I don't want to ignore her current heath concerns as possible obstacles that might dictate a different course of action for her.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Thank you! And she's off statins. Dr. only had her on them brieflt, but liver enzymes were rising too much so dr. took her off them. I think I'll order her some supplements! Any particular brands you recommend? I often shop through vitacost or my local health store ($expensive$).

go to iherb.com for coenzyme Q Healthy origins brand is a good one for Coenzyme Q Milk thistle, get this one https://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Thisilyn-Liver-Support-Formula-100-Vcaps/4545?at=0

natural-mama

Original Poster
go to iherb.com for coenzyme Q Healthy origins brand is a good one for Coenzyme Q Milk thistle, get this one https://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Thisilyn-Liver-Support-Formula-100-Vcaps/4545?at=0
Thank you for taking the time to send this! Regarding coQ10, her dr. was upset with her for taking it before. She was taking one with red yeast & niacin though. Would the other things be the reason or is it just that Drs. can sometimes be backwards and wanting to push prescriptions instead of herbs and supplements?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Thank you for taking the time to send this! Regarding coQ10, her dr. was upset with her for taking it before. She was taking one with red yeast & niacin though. Would the other things be the reason or is it just that Drs. can sometimes be backwards and wanting to push prescriptions instead of herbs and supplements?

red yeast rice has a natural statin (still is no good for you) As for the doc getting upset, probably because he does noty know anything about it.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I'm not a big fan of red rice yeast products... they can have some of the same problems as statins.

Before I got all hyped up into a zillion products move her onto your paleo diet. This can create a miraculous effect in just one month. and you obviously are well into the learning curve on this one. Find grass fed beef if you can.

She can probably make most of the changes she requires on diet alone unless there is an underlaying cause that is not clear yet.. I would start her on coconut oil. This is a good place to purchase... www.tropicaltraditions.com the raw virgin oil tastes like coconut.. but the expresser expressed is neutral. The guy who has done all the books on coconut oil says the expresser pressed is just as therapeutic, incase the taste of coconut is a problem

She would also do well with Hemp Oil to be used in salad dressing etc. It is the absolute highest in omega 3s

She needs to be eating more salads, cabbage, broccoli, spinach.

Once you have her on a good diet get her lab values rechecked after 4 to 6 weeks. If they are not coming down then you need to start thinking about the possibility of some sort of viral issue. Now, just because they say she dosen't have a virus, and they will be looking for hep c or b, does not mean that she doesn't have some kind of viral or parasite issue. Doctors just don't know how to diagnose parasites and tere are many virus that they cannot diagnose. I've been through this a zillion times with folks. They always end up making their own diagnosis and 9 times out of 10 they are right.

Since she is having these high levels I strongly reccommed a test to be done called a carotid artery sonogram. This will visualize the structure of the carotid artery and let you know if plaque is building up. If there is a problem developing here it indicates the potential for arterial plaque in and around the heart as well as an increased risk for stroke. It is a very easy and painless test to do and costs about $150. My United Health care insurance paid for it when I had mine done. If there is a problem come back for further direction. Your doctor may give you resistance about this test because likely he wouldn't know what to do with the informaiton, but I do know and it will indicate considerable work that needs to be done to help move her into her senior years gracefully.

Meanwhile there are three supplements she should be on regardless of what your doctor says. Vitamin D3, vitamin C and Iodine.
If he says stay away from D3 demand a logical reasoning backed by studies.
Vitamin C should be at 4,000 mg a day in two divided dosages at least, until we know more.
Iodine is something almost all people need. We have lots of articles on iodine on this forum Do a forum tag search to find previous discussion. search Lugol's iodine, or iodine.

Parasites, either large, small, microscopic or viral can reek havoc with the liver all all the metabolic processes.

It has become clear to me that parasites, either viral or otherwise, may be an initiating cause in some cases of diabetes. This diet may clear up her prediabetic issues. If it does not there are other courses of actions to take.

Change her diet first and see what happens. Then you will know more. Please understand that in many cases doctors really don't know how to diagnose what is really the cause of health issues. If the problems continues I suggest that you learn about MMS1 and MMS2. Everything you need to know is found here: www.jimhumble.biz I and a number of others on the forum are experienced users of MMS so you will be able to get some answers to your questions if you decide to go in that direction. MMS has cleared up diabetic issues for a number of people, including people on insulin.

natural-mama

Original Poster
Arrowwind, I LOVE your post and sent it to her! I hadn't suggested coconut oil to her yet, but I have a jar or two of Tropical Tradition's in my cabinet. And thanks for the reminder of switching to expressed for my husband's sake. I often enjoy the flavor, but he really does not. I ordered my mom milk thistle, lecithin, CoQ10, D3 and some green tea. Trying to keep her healthy w/o doing way too much at once. Coconut oil should be an easy addition, although I'm most concerned about getting her on board with the diet. I'll give her our copy of Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint." Hoping she'll see it's healthy and not worry so much about cholesterol. Even if the diet weren't good for cholesterol (which I think it is) I think the liver is a much bigger concern. Thanks again for all the great advice. Getting a test ordered shouldn't be too difficult either. Will the results be #'s that I can share here for help interpreting? Again, thanks so much!

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
The results from a carotid artery sonogram are given with photos and a scale, at least mine was. I had mine done at about your mothers age and it told me my arteries were about 11 years younger than I was, while my husbands was about 20 years older than he was... could this be evidence in our diet differences, or from smoking?

One book that is very convincing about the primal diet is a book called Protein Power by the Drs Eades... they give several very powerful case studies... cholesterol is ALL about the liver.

Might be good to look around for a doctor that supports such nutrition so she can get professional advice. She will feel more confident.