Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 AM
Observer
Bazinga is on a distinguished road
Default Xylitol and magnesium

H,

Does anyone know if xylitol depletes magnesium? Saw a study on the Internet that rats excreted more magnesium and calcium in their urine when given xylitol. However that is all I can find on this subject.
� #2
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

It seems that there are many articles confirming that sugar depletes magnesium. Other factors do the same, such as too much fat in the diet. Xylitol is sugar. It has a large molecule that does not help it to be utilized by the body, so it is safe for diabetics.

Also, stress contributes to loss of magnesium. We have a lot of that.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #3
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
It seems that there are many articles confirming that sugar depletes magnesium. Other factors do the same, such as too much fat in the diet. Xylitol is sugar. It has a large molecule that does not help it to be utilized by the body, so it is safe for diabetics.

Also, stress contributes to loss of magnesium. We have a lot of that.
Hi, thanks for your response. I knew that refined sugar depletes magnesium so was looking for an alternative. With Xylitol being low GI I hoped this might be ok. I've read that it helps candida, but at the same time I don't want it to deplete my magnesium as I am supplementing with this.
� #4
Old 02-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Guide
Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

I have not seen any information that xylitol has any effect on magnesium levels. I also want to add that xylitol prevents bacteria from forming in the mouth and is good for preventing tooth plaque.
� #5
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I have not seen any information that xylitol has any effect on magnesium levels. I also want to add that xylitol prevents bacteria from forming in the mouth and is good for preventing tooth plaque.
Thank you for your response. I've also heard heard that it's good for your teeth. I am a bit confused as to whether xylitol is a sugar or sweetener. I've read that it is sugar alcohol. Apparently it kills candida therefore doesn't that mean it can't be like normal sugar?
� #6
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

I would be interested to know what zylitol occurs naturally in.
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #7
Old 02-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Goat View Post
I would be interested to know what zylitol occurs naturally in.
I've read that it occurs naturally in the body, mushrooms and oats as far as I remember. It's made from birch and corn husks I think.
� #8
Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

Originally, it was tested by dentist in Finland. It was put in chewing gum to test for children with ear infections. Children's ear canals run more horizontal than adults. The xylitol does not kill the bacteria as much as washes it out.

Sugar from the birch tree. Xylitol is a sugar.

You should not worry so much about it depleting magnesium, as you are supplementing magnesium anyway.
� #9
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
Originally, it was tested by dentist in Finland. It was put in chewing gum to test for children with ear infections. Children's ear canals run more horizontal than adults. The xylitol does not kill the bacteria as much as washes it out.

Sugar from the birch tree. Xylitol is a sugar.

You should not worry so much about it depleting magnesium, as you are supplementing magnesium anyway.
Thank you, that's great. I was just worried that the magnesium I'm taking would all get depleted by the xylitol. However, currently I only have two teaspoons of xylitol in my tea in the morning.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.