I have been reading a lot about xylitol on the internet and wondering why if its so good for teeth why we don't know more about it.
I have ordered some on the internet and plan to start cleaning my teeth with this stuff. However I'm a bit worried about cleanning my teeth with a sugar like sustance!
Does anyone out there already use this to clean your teeth and with what results, would appreciate your feedback before I start.
Xylitol is one sugar that type 1 diabetics can use. The insulin trigger is not affected by it.
It has been known for several years that xylitol chewing gum has been recommended by dentists for children. It has been studied, originally in Finland, that children who have earaches and infections benefit from the xylitol in the chewing gum. Children's ear canals run more horizontally than adults, so they don't drain as naturally. This build up can cause infections. Xylitol "washes" the bacteria out.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Xylitol actually isn't an "excitotoxin", unlike some artificial sweeteners like aspartame. The reason they're excitatory neurotoxins is because of the substances they break down too, but xylitol doesn't break down in the human body and wouldn't produce excitotoxic substances even if it did.
Here's a video by a neurosurgeon who reveals the toxic affects of artificial sweeteners including xylitol.
Because of his work I have an unused new package of xylitol in my cupboard.
It's a brilliant lecture, but nowhere does he mention xylitol. I wouldn't EAT it, but as toothpaste it shouldn't be harmful.
I would and do eat it. Its highly beneificial for those with diabetes, it's used as a treatment for metabolic syndrome. It even works on osteoporosis, prevents ear infections in children, increases the body's ability to fight bacteria and sepsis, fights Candida, and has NO toxicity to humans. Wherever you got that information is flat out, dead wrong completely and entirely.
Wherever you got that information is flat out, dead wrong completely and entirely.
What information? What I said was that it WASN'T toxic (exactly what you said), but I still wouldn't eat it. Why not (see below)?
Its highly beneificial for those with diabetes, it's used as a treatment for metabolic syndrome. It even works on osteoporosis, prevents ear infections in children, increases the body's ability to fight bacteria and sepsis, fights Candida,
Because I LAUGH at all those diseases. I'm about as likely to get any of those as I am to be struck by lightning 67,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000^174 times in a row and then run over by a flying pig. So why should I eat a sugar alcohol most likely synthetically produced and hydrogenated?
Compared to Fluoride which is not only toxic but deadly in relatively small amounts, I'll take xylitol. I don't know how exactly it compares to stevia as a sweetener but it would be interesting if someone found a reliable site that did a comparison. I do feel the taste of xylitol is much more pleasant and much closer to sugar than stevia.
Xylitol does have calories and is not artificial. It comes from the fiber in fruits. Im using xylitol products in order to avoid artificial sweeteners or anything with dextrose which can really throw off your metabolism.
Yes, but probably not in the amounts you use when you use it as a sweetener, and lots of xylitol on the market is produced synthetically. When you take something that's naturally present in very small amounts and use it isolated in much larger amounts it can have adverse effects. Xylitol also has to be processed and treated in order to be extracted from the fruit fiber, which is kind of like taking natural sugarcane juice and turning it into white sugar. Not a good idea.
Me, I'd just avoid using any sweetener at all. Being a slave to your taste buds leads to a subpar life and an early demise.
Xylitol also has to be processed and treated in order to be extracted from the fruit fiber, which is kind of like taking natural sugarcane juice and turning it into white sugar.
Case in point:
A search of patents online explains one process for making xylitol, tell me if this sounds healthy? You begin with some source material containing xylan. One commonly used source is corn imported from China.
1. First the xylan needs to be broken down in a process called acid hydrolyzing. The results of this process leave us with xylose and acetic acid. The process of hydrogenation is carried out at higher pressures and temperatures ranging from 158 degrees Fahrenheit and higher. Hydrogenation needs a catalyst, so a substance called Raney nickel can be used which is a powdered nickel-aluminium alloy.
2. The acetic acid needs to be removed as the material safety data sheet describes it as, "Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeator), of eye contact (corrosive)."
3. Then the hydrolyzing acid and organic residues must be removed, this is done by heating the mixture and evaporating it.
4. The resulting syrup, now free of acetic acid, hydrolyzing acid, nick-aluminum and other residues.
5. The syrup is crystallized by stirring ethanol into it.
6. The crystalline xylitol is now separated in a centrifuge from the ethanol and from the sorbitol remaining in solution.
7. Viola, you have xylitol.
No thanks, I think I'll pass
Vaguely reminiscent of the process of making high-fructose corn syrup though. Actually, lots of processed foods are created in similar ways. If people knew what they were eating they'd throw up (not even going to get into the amounts of bug parts, feces, etc that's allowed to be in processed foods )
I'm not afraid of xylitol and use it where available. Though I don't cook with any kind of sweetener, including sugar. Nor do I have any in my house. I do keep stevia though and use it with coffee and tea.
I agree Ajax, I'd like to find some info on stevia that does not come from a vendor site or health theorists.