Why we're fat

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Didn't watch it yet, but ity seems obesity kicked into high gear when fructose (HFCS) became popular.

Ted_Hutchinson

Sugar the Bitter truth is a bit on the technical side and you may find it easier if you start with this shorter, easier to comprehend interview.
The Cause of Obesity

Beyond gluttony and sloth

Here is another similar but very short discussion.
henry and robert lustig

I think watching these version of similar information will ensure you actually understand what is the the problem.

The Sugar Epidemic: Policy versus Politics

"The trouble with fructose: A Darwinian perspective" by Robert Lustig MD

Bear in mind that the problems that arise from the damage caused to our metabolic function ultimately affects many other conditions. So once the cascade starts it MAY end up with lots of different outcomes depending on your particular genetic makeup.
It could be that metabolic dysfunction leads to MS.
Multiple Sclerosis is Not a Disease of the Immune System?
and we could make the same case for Diabetes and Alzheimer's and heart disease.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
We are fat because of a sedintary lifestyle and junk food combined with HUGE portion sizes.

Ted_Hutchinson

We are fat because of a sedintary lifestyle and junk food combined with HUGE portion sizes.
I don't agree.
We have to ask WHY we are now so sedentary and WHY we eat so much.

If we take 2 mice, one fat and sedentary and one slim slim and active and present them with the same food and the same facilities for exercise we find the fat mouse remains fat and sedentary and the slim mouse remains active and slim.

If we then give both mice a course of antibiotics to wipe out their gut flora and transplant previously stored fecal matter from fat mouse to the slim and vice versa, we find, on the same diet, with the same exercise equipment, the previously slim/active mouse gains weight and becomes lazy while the obese/sedentary mouse becomes active and slim.

So the propensity to exercise and store fat may be modified by gut flora and gut flora may have the ability to alter genetic predisposition.

If we are going to make progress in this issue we have to stop BLAMING people for their current situation. We have to stop insisting that it's all about calories in/calories out and we have to understand how relying on will power and self discipline only makes matters worse.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Food Revolution - AHS 2011 - YouTube

Do you want to improve your weight and health by eating real food?
With no calorie counting, no diet products, no hunger?
This talk from Ancestral Health Symposium 2011 shows you how to do it the natural way.

The epidemics of obesity and diabetes are continuing to spread across the western world. Now we know why. Modern science has revealed our mistake.

The unnecessary fear of natural food has inadvertently caused us to eat more of the new food that can make us hungrier, make us eat more, make us fat.

Ever more people are realizing the mistake and seeing the solution. The food revolution is here. Please help spread the word once you know.

Read more at
https://www.dietdoctor.com
https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
https://www.dietdoctor.com/science

jfh

perpetual student
Sugar the Bitter truth is a bit on the technical side and you may find it easier if you start with this shorter, easier to comprehend interview.
The Cause of Obesity
Very interesting Ted. This Dr says that it is silly to believe that "Eat less. Move more." does not work, because people cannot eat less and cannot exercise more. It's all about insulin balance. No fructose in your diet.

Ted_Hutchinson

Very interesting Ted. This Dr says that it is silly to believe that "Eat less. Move more." does not work, because people cannot eat less and cannot exercise more. It's all about insulin balance. No fructose in your diet.
Of course the amount you exercise and the amount of calories you consume do affect the issue.

But we need to understand WHY we are eating more calories now than previously and that is partly to do with the absence of natural fats that activate the release of satiety hormones that apply the brakes to appetite as they pass through the digestive system

There is still much we need to understand, but in the mean time we can safely cut out fructose and HFCS, processed foods, and get back to preparing our own meals from raw ingredients in our own homes.

Do Interactions Between Gut Ecology and environmental Chemicals Contribute to Obesity and Diabetes?

Energy-balance studies reveal associations between gut microbes, caloric load, and nutrient absorption in humans

jbo

I know when I used to drink diet soda that I was always hungry, so at the end I would end up over eating. I have to agree that I've been to countries that their portions aren't tiny, yet the people are pretty thin. I think our portions are a joke, especially the hispanic resturants that a portion is enough for three people.

@Ted
Intresting what you wrote about the gut and flora, which seems maybe there's a reason yogurt shows slight weight lose.

mommysunshine

This is a great post. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Insulin restistance is a very common sugar metabolism problem in our society. Our poor bodies were never meant to consume so much sugar and our taste buds have become adapt to want more or maybe it's brain chemicals that want more. Anyway, we eat way too much sugar and carbs. Refined carbs that spike your insulin levels are not good either. If we learn to cut out refined foods and eat protein and fat with complex carbohydrates such as vegetables then we'll be doing a lot of wonderful things for our body. There are no nutrients in fruit that vegetables don't have. BUT fruit has a lot of sugar and vegetables do not. Vegetables are so much better for you than fruit.

jbo

This is a great post. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Insulin restistance is a very common sugar metabolism problem in our society. Our poor bodies were never meant to consume so much sugar and our taste buds have become adapt to want more or maybe it's brain chemicals that want more. Anyway, we eat way too much sugar and carbs. Refined carbs that spike your insulin levels are not good either. If we learn to cut out refined foods and eat protein and fat with complex carbohydrates such as vegetables then we'll be doing a lot of wonderful things for our body. There are no nutrients in fruit that vegetables don't have. BUT fruit has a lot of sugar and vegetables do not. Vegetables are so much better for you than fruit.
What about the antioxidants you always hear about with blueberries? Or what about the fruits like avocados, olives or bell peppers that are actually fruits?

u&iraok

But we need to understand WHY we are eating more calories now than previously and that is partly to do with the absence of natural fats that activate the release of satiety hormones that apply the brakes to appetite as they pass through the digestive system
Yes, and don't forget malnutrition due to processed food and not enough vitamins in our produce and other foods causing people to have large appetites, and our messed up food causing disruptions in hormones like insulin and leptin which cause large appetites and weight gain.