Washington State Voters REJECT GMO Labeling!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I just can't believe that the voters rejected GMO labeling! :evil: I guess the 'big boys' got their way again, with their scare tactics, constant ads against the labeling, saying that it would cause a rise in cost of food to the consumer if they voted it in...BS!! :evil:

Washington state voters on Tuesday rejected an initiative that would have required foods containing genetically engineered ingredients to be labeled.

The vote was 54.8% opposed to labeling and 45.2% in favor of it.
Had it passed, Initiative 522 would have made the state the first in the nation to require such labeling.

The initiative was the most expensive in state history, though it was largely fought by out-of-state interests.

The No on 522 campaign set a record for fundraising, bringing in $22 million in donations according to The Seattle Times.

Just $550 came from Washington residents, according to the newspaper.

The top five contributors were the Grocery Manufacturers Association, Monsanto, DuPont Pioneer, Dow AgroSciences and Bayer CropScience.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/06/washington-state-voters-reject-gmo-labeing/3450705/

knightofalbion

That's a hard one to understand.

The person who ran their promotions campaign must be one sharp operator to get that through.

If that was in England, they (the pro-GM lobby) would have been bulldozed.

Mad Scientest

That's a hard one to understand.
[FONT=&quot]That is an understatement to say the least. As this bill would not have banned GMO’s rather just required that if they were used that they would be listed in the label of contents. I cannot begin to imagine what those people that voted against it were thinking. :roll:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Of course there is always the issue of vote fraud, something I wouldn’t put past TPTB.[/FONT]

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
They said on Coast to Coast show, that ads against the labeling were frequent on the radio and TV, and they warned people of rising food prices if passed...which is a lie. Too bad people didn't see past the BS, but with the economy the way it is, they were fearful that groceries would be more expensive. :roll:

knightofalbion

Decided to check out the GM lobby's campaign website
https://www.votenoon522.com

It's neatly done, I'll give them that.

'An extra $490 on your annual food bill'... That's sure to trouble people. But how true is that figure?

IF the motion had been passed and the law came into immediate effect, GM foods would be labelled as such with no cause for any price increase.

Non-GM foods, now they would cost more, for those who chose to buy them. From what I've heard Monsanto has the US cereal market pretty much sown up, so to source non-GM, companies would have to go overseas and battle British and European companies for non-GM crops.
That could have been avoided by giving a season or two grace for farmers to switch seed supply and for companies to source non-GM crops.

So, $490? I don't think so....

I'm not so sure there would have been a GM wipe out in any case even if the vote had been won. People still smoke despite the lung cancer warnings; people still pig out on fast food and junk food despite the obesity, heart disease and diabetes warnings; people still buy factory farmed meats and dairy without a twinge of concern or conscience.
So many people shop on price and taste, and Fair trade, animal and environmental issues, or even personal health and well-being so it would seem, don't factor into the equation.

I couldn't help noticing that meat and dairy would not have been under labelling restrictions. GM is all over the commercial animal feed supply. So a seriously flawed vote.
I am surprised the vote was lost all the same.

liverock

knightofalbion

It depends how it's promoted. A recent YouGov poll (August) found only 21% of British consumers in favour of GM, so if it went to a general vote....

61% of British farmers would support growing GM though, due to increased yields and profits.

If Mr Cameron had his way, true, it would be, as always, a walk in for Big Business.