Warning for turmeric on gallbladder issues?

mommysunshine

Hmmmm....what do you think this warning is about? It's on the bottom of the description for NOW brand Silymarin MilkThistle containing Tumeric. If someone is taking milk thistle for the liver isn't that closely connected to the gall-bladder and having a benefit on that organ too?

Warnings Due to Turmeric content, not to be used by pregnant or lactating women or by persons with gall bladder problems, stomach ulcers or other stomach disorders unless recommended by a health care practitioner.

jfh

perpetual student
Curcumin supplementation of 20-40 mg has been reported to increase gallbladder contractions in healthy people. Although increasing gallbladder contractions could decrease the risk of gallstone formation by promoting gallbladder emptying, it could potentially increase the risk of symptoms in people who already have gallstones. Theoretically, curcumin could make gallstones or some other gallbladder problems worse. I suspect it would take a lot of it, because curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body.

There are studies showing this contraction problem. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12495265

pinballdoctor

Hmmmm....what do you think this warning is about? It's on the bottom of the description for NOW brand Silymarin MilkThistle containing Tumeric. If someone is taking milk thistle for the liver isn't that closely connected to the gall-bladder and having a benefit on that organ too?

Warnings Due to Turmeric content, not to be used by pregnant or lactating women or by persons with gall bladder problems, stomach ulcers or other stomach disorders unless recommended by a health care practitioner.
Turmeric is beneficial for several reasons, so I find this warning difficult to believe considering there was no warning with Vioxx, that killed 50,000 Americans and seriously affected thousands more with strokes and heart attacks.
Turmeric hasn't killed a single person, including pregnant women, although the word "women" really isn't necessary..

shapshftr

Put this in perspective....

The warning for pregnant and lactating women is standard for everything because nobody knows what all could harm a developing fetus or infant, and nobody wants to go out on that limb.

As for the rest, it's simply a matter of it stimulating bile flow. Lots of things do that, mostly fats of any kind, but even coffee does. So as far as the gallbladder is concerned, it would only be an issue if you already have gallstones, as vigorous emptying of the gallbladder could bring on a gallbladder attack, which would eventually occur anyway with gallstones. Vigorous emptying of the gallbladder is good and necessary to help prevent gallstone formation and to digest fats and fat soluble nutrients. So if you have stones, be cautious, if not, I would think it would be a good preventative.

As for the ulcers, too much bile could irritate them. It's all just common sense, but product manufacturers are afraid of getting sued.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
If you have a tendency to gall stones one should do a liver flush annually anyway... and do it long before they become a huge problem. If there is a family history of stone then do the flush early on in life to keep clear.

Mary S.

I have taken silymarin and turmeric separately with no ill effects. I saw the warning on my new bottle of milk thistle, took one capsule and had a gallbladder attack. It was very quick but painful. Stonefree by Planetary Herbals is a great product if you have gallstones. Have not had an attack for three years til tonight. I think the warning is valid for the gallbladder issues.

hopeful

I can't afford turmeric supplements but I use a lot more than I used to on foods. I read so many good things about that spice.