Wanted - women to eat chocolate for a year.

Xania

Sorry to anyone not living in UK. This study is going to be swamped by the rush of volunteers!

Wanted: Women to eat chocolate for a year
https://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/04/28/chocolate.trial/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Scientists in the UK are seeking 150 women to eat chocolate every day for a year in the cause of medical research.

The trial, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, eastern England, will test whether a natural compound found in cocoa, the main ingredient of chocolate, could cut the risk of heart disease among women with diabetes.
A Belgian confectionist has created the special chocolate bar containing high levels of flavonoids -- a plant compound that has been shown to reduce heart risk factors -- to be used in the experiment. Soy, another natural source of flavonoids, has also been added to the bar.
Participants, who must be postmenopausal women under the age of 70, will have their risk of heart disease tested on five occasions during the year to see whether change occurs.

Boss

Interesting idea, though the only thing I can see that might be a slight downside, is the Methylxanthine Theobromine, as depending on the individuals previous consumption levels, that may cause a Chocolate addiction / withdrawal effect, as I'm pretty certain as a Methylxanthine, Theobromine has such properties in the same way Caffeine does too, and no doubt Theophiline.

Xania

Original Poster
Theoretically interesting, Boss, but I can't see that it will deter those who want to join the study. I suppose the lists are closed already!:)

Boss

I doubt it would be much of a deterrent, especially if the researchers don't mention it ;)

I bet if 100 chocoholics were surveyed, a very high percentage of them wouldn't know what Theobromine was or that it was even there, although as stated, the fact it is would probably have little to no bearing on test subjects, even if they were made aware beforehand..

AndreTTOW

Seems to me pretty ridiculous...a 1 year study, having people eat chocolate every day, when we already know that cocoa is antioxidant rich...

Prominant oncologists are already suggesting we eat 70% dark chocolate every day (25grams) along with a host of other antioxidant rich foods.

Seaweed

Berries

Mushrooms

Almonds

Wine

Flax

Probiotics

etc...

Jualsy

Jualsy
Re the wine.....................the thing you need from wine can be bought separately as a supplement....no need for the alcohol!!!