Vitamin P

Mary White

What do you know & think about vitamin P?
My friend recently advised me that I should try it!
She is sure that taxifolin (vitamine P) slows the aging process and has a positive influence on our health.
And here I am writing to know your opinion. :confused:

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Bioflavonoids/vitamin P

Hi Mary, welcome to the forum! I was unfamiliar with vitamin P, and I looked at my daily supplement, and it was not listed. I looked it up, and it is a bioflavonoid, and bioflavonoids are included in my vitamin C. Taxifolin is a beneficial bioflanoid. Here's some info:

Vitamin P - Benefits And Food Sources

Alternative name :: Bioflavonoids
Bioflavonoids also called Vitamin P are not strictly speaking a vitamin, but for easy classification, we are listing it as a vitamin. The term bioflavonoids refers to many different ingredients and include hesperin, hesperidin, eriodictyol, quercetin, quercetin, rutin etc. This nutrient can not be manufactured by the body and must be supplied in the diet. Researchers have reported over eight hundred different bioflavonoids. Most of these are the yellow pigments found in citrus fruit as well as other fruits and vegetables, these are referred to as flavonoids.

Benefits of Vitamin P

Bioflavonoids together with vitamin C, maintain the health of the thin walls of the small blood vessels known as capillaries, preventing bruising and bleeding, including excessive menstrual loss. Vitamin P are used extensively in the treatment of athletic injuries because they relieve pain, bumps, and bruises.
Because of its ability to relax the muscles in the cardiovascular system, there is a possibility that Vitamin P may play a role in lowering blood pressure. Some other areas being researched are Vitamin P's ability to interfere with growing tumors, and how it impacts other types of bleeding such as nosebleeds, hemorrhoids and bleeding in the retina (a problem for people with hypertension or diabetes).
Bioflavonoids also in recent studies have been shown to help the blood clot, this alone can be helpful in treating phlebitis and other clotting disorders. Many bioflavonoids prevent the cellular damage caused by free radicals; these are unstable molecules that are formed when the body burns oxygen. Some bioflavonoids are used as food preservatives to prevent fats from oxidation. Some reports show bioflavonoids are useful in enhancing the antioxidant action of certain nutrients.
Recommended Dosage of Vitamin P

No dosage has been determined but 500 mg per day is indicated for supplementation.
Rich sources of Vitamin P

The white skin of the citrus fruit (the pith of the citrus), apricots, blackberries, buckwheat and bilberry, burdock root, black currants, cherries, grapefruit, grapes, green tea, juniper berries, lemon, oranges, parsley, peppers, plums, prunes, and rose hips.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
LOL When I was in grad school, the library had a 1949 Physicians desk reference. Many of the pills were standarized herbs. One pill was bioflavanoids.

Mary White

Original Poster
kind2creatures & saved1986, thank you for reply.

But how do you think is it worth taking it in our daily life?

It is said that this bioflavanoid has antiaging effect.

Should I buy this Taxifolin.

Have you ever bought it?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
But how do you think is it worth taking it in our daily life?

It is said that this bioflavanoid has antiaging effect.

Should I buy this Taxifolin.

Have you ever bought it?
Mary, I've never bought Taxifolin before, and tried to look it up at one of the places I buy my supplements, and cannot find it. However, many different choices of bioflavanoids are available. I'm also interested in anti-aging, since I'm in my mid-fifties, and I've mainly used citrus bioflavanoids included in my C, or eaten naturally (the white part of the orange for example). Here's some more info:

For humans, consuming flavonoids provides a whole host of benefits for the body, and the truth is that we really can’t live happily without them.

What these chemicals do above all is to provide a huge dose of antioxidant help to our internal systems. Flavonoids also have a low toxicity compared to other active plant compounds and they’ve been called “nature’s biological response modifiers” because they can help us react appropriately to viruses, carcinogens and allergens, by giving a powerful boost to the immune system.

That means that flavonoids exhibit anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-cancer properties, because they protect against oxidative and free radical damage caused by pollution and the body’s normal metabolic processes. Free radicals are responsible for a lot of the damage done to the body by poisons such as cigarette smoke or drugs; and they’re one of the major factors that contribute to ageing. It’s true what they say: eating your fruit and vegetables every day, really does keep the wrinkles at bay!

More than just a pretty face

But flavonoids will help more than your looks. They’re just about indispensable for your insides, too.

Scientists are particularly excited about flavonoids because of their potential uses in the medical industry, in biomedical drugs.

Consumers are also starting to take a lot of notice of these natural wonder compounds, mainly because they look set to play an important role in the prevention and treatment of such common and devastating diseases as heart disease and cancer. In fact, flavonoids might be able to help treat a surprisingly wide-ranging variety of less deadly conditions, from water retention, bruising and cold sores, to weak blood vessels and cataracts.

Research is also taking a look into the possibility that they might be able to improve kidney function, particularly for diabetic people.

How do they work?

Over 5000 naturally occurring flavonoids have been characterized from various plants. You’ll often see them divided into categories that include anthocyanidins, isoflavones, flavonols, flavans, flavanones and flavones.
Some of the most well known flavonoids, for example, include hesperidin, rutin, citrus flavonoids, genistein (in soy) and quercetin (in onions).
Anthocyanidins are the kind found in bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) and flavans are the sort of flavonoid that appears in tea and apples. As flavonoids are synthesized, they can also produce proanthocyanidins (tannins) and a bumper crop of other health-giving polyphenolics.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
One thing you might want to buy is a VITAMIX (a 2 horsepower blender, they run around 350-400 bucks). Cut up an ORGANIC orange and turn it on for 20 seconds. Instant liquid.

or basically just increase your raw fruit intake and get a wide variety