Take Statins to Avoid A Heart Attack

d0ug

The North American Eskimo eating blubber [fat] their traditional diet has a blood cholesterol count of 300 to 500 and is very rare to have heart disease, Alzheimer and Cancer but if they change their diet to a [normal diet] they have a large chance of getting these diseases.

knightofalbion

Reminds me of a joke here in medical circles.

A doctor says to the patient. "I'm putting you on statins!" He pauses for a moment and then adds "What did you say was wrong with you." .....

Doctors seem to be doling statins out like sweets these days. Would getting their patients to follow am improved diet and exercise regime not be more prudent? Or would that defeat 6 years at medical college?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Funny Knight, in a sad but true way. ;)

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Reminds me of a joke here in medical circles.

A doctor says to the patient. "I'm putting you on statins!" He pauses for a moment and then adds "What did you say was wrong with you." .....

Doctors seem to be doling statins out like sweets these days. Would getting their patients to follow am improved diet and exercise regime not be more prudent? Or would that defeat 6 years at medical college?

Those are big in the UK also?

RodsHealth

Would defeat the objectives of the manufacturers ...

Dole out statins like candy - look what happened with antibiotics. One day they will realize that it was a big mistake to treat any medicine like candy.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
8 million Britons are on statins and they want to significantly increase that number.
Our population is roughly a quarter of yours so pro rata that would be 32 million.
What is the American total?
Not sure, but 50 million would not surprise me.

Ted_Hutchinson

Trouble with just looking a heart disease death rates is that we forget what happens to all cause mortality.
This chart comes from Primitivo and can be found on Paul Jaminet's perfect health diet site.

So as we can see mortality goes up as cholesterol goes down.
Lower cholesterol below 200 you increase your risk of death. mortality goes up as cholesterol goes down.
Ideally you want to be around 210~220 to enjoy least risk.
But rather than just reducing total cholesterol irrespective of the cause of higher than ideal numbers, wouldn't it be better to address the causes of those high numbers?
We can all check our under arm basal temperature when we wake up and if it's below 36.6ºC (97.8ºF) consider taking dessicated Thyroid. Hypothyroidism is a common cause of high cholesterol.
For many the problem is high triglycerides and low HDL numbers. Changing the diet to increase saturated fat while DECREASING refined carbohydrates, sugars, and eliminating inflammatory omega 6 vegetable oils should raise HDL and lower trigs.
Correcting magnesium, Vitamin D, omega 3, potassium and melatonin insufficiency also improves heart disease risk factors.