Side effects of drinking distilled water?

Tobinn

Since the lockdown, I have started drinking distilled water exclusively, as it seems to be unpopular with the hoarders, and easy to find. I have noticed my water intake has risen dramatically, and it does not seem to quench my thirst. I used to be like a camel, but now the opposite. Anyone else noticed this? I did Google searches, but all I could find is distilled water removes the trace elements. I tried adding a couple drops of 'Willard Water' to a quart of distilled water, without effect. Should I be wary that I'm drinking like three times as much water than I used to?

jfh

perpetual student
I have been concerned about the same things for many years. I have read and seem to believe that distilled water leeches minerals from the body. This might be a good thing for a little while, but not regularly. As I recall, Willard water only has magnesium. You should consider taking a multimineral complex or at least electrolytes. I don't know how much of this is true, but I do put a lot of respect in reviews and testimonials.

Tobinn

Original Poster
I have been concerned about the same things for many years. I have read and seem to believe that distilled water leeches minerals from the body. This might be a good thing for a little while, but not regularly. As I recall, Willard water only has magnesium. You should consider taking a multimineral complex or at least electrolytes. I don't know how much of this is true, but I do put a lot of respect in reviews and testimonials.
I use the 'Willard Water XXX with added lignite'. Got mine from CAW Industries many years ago. I guess today it is this stuff~
https://www.momentum98naturalhealthstore.com/products/wll081?variant=35865273162&currency=USD
or maybe here: https://www.drwillard.com/typical-uses/holistic-health/
Cannot tell, as the bottles are different. Anyway, I only add a few drops to each quart of water, so not sure if it even does anything. With or without, the water does not seem to quench thirst. That's mostly what concerns me. I should not be thirsty 15 minutes after drinking. Before the distilled water, I'd take a drink and not feel the need for hours. I have the water put up in empty Dasani 20 fl oz bottles. Before the distilled water, two would last the day, now it's more like 5 or 6 bottles. That's my concern. Whenever a longtime pattern of mine shifts, I get paranoid.

jfh

perpetual student
I believe it is the lack of sodium in the water that is affecting your thirst. You are missing calcium, magnesium, and sodium when you drink distilled water. Instead of Willard water, try using a pinch of salt.

Tobinn

Original Poster
I believe it is the lack of sodium in the water that is affecting your thirst. You are missing calcium, magnesium, and sodium when you drink distilled water. Instead of Willard water, try using a pinch of salt.
Maybe the calcium or magnesium. Not sure how to remedy that. Very unlikely its the sodium though. I use a lot of salt. If I fix a meal for someone I have to not salt it at all, as it seems I am "too generous".

jfh

perpetual student
Maybe the calcium or magnesium. Not sure how to remedy that. Very unlikely its the sodium though. I use a lot of salt. If I fix a meal for someone I have to not salt it at all, as it seems I am "too generous".
OK. I just can't think of why you would be so thirsty shortly after drinking water. Sodium does help retain water. The other possibility would be electrolytes. Lack of those in your nutrition can be very dehydrating. Calcium is part of the electrolyte combination, so you might be right there.

When I have had to drink distilled water, I added sea salt and then I took an electrolyte complex. I had to do that when my city said to boil water until notified. It was for 3 days. There was a run on water in local stores. I have a water distiller which I used during those days. I used sea salt because of its numerous trace minerals.

Tobinn

Original Poster
OK. I just can't think of why you would be so thirsty shortly after drinking water. Sodium does help retain water. The other possibility would be electrolytes. Lack of those in your nutrition can be very dehydrating. Calcium is part of the electrolyte combination, so you might be right there.
When I have had to drink distilled water, I added sea salt and then I took an electrolyte complex. I had to do that when my city said to boil water until notified. It was for 3 days. There was a run on water in local stores. I have a water distiller which I used during those days. I used sea salt because of its numerous trace minerals.

Tobinn

Original Poster
Just did a Google search for electrolyte drinks, and now not so sure that is the answer either. According to this site:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/electrolytes-drinks
milk is an electrolyte drink. I go through about a gallon a week, and that is just for drinking...add another half-gallon for cooking. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try a sports drink, and see if that has any effect.

Reactions: jfh

Tobinn

Original Poster
I decided to do a little experiment yesterday, and bought some Dasani and Crystal Geyser water. One meal I'd drink one or the other, next meal I'd drink the distilled water. Today I'm pretty sure it's the distilled water that fails to quench thirst. The Dasani is wonderful. Tastes like my tap water used to years ago, but is only sold in small bottles and gawd-awful expensive!

The Crystal Geyser is awful. Only slightly less awful than my tap water is now. It is cheap. Both Dasani and Crystal Geyser will quench my thirst. The distilled water tastes better than Crystal Geyser, but nowhere on par with Dasani, and seems to be the water equivalent of chinese food. Only real question is whether or not the increased thirst and water consumption is bad? A question Google has been unable to answer. Anyway, still working on that sports drink. Walmart has one of the brands.