severe c. difficile colitis

Ted_Hutchinson

sorry, I'm still afraid of overdosing... should I buy this and take one every day for a week and then once a week? https://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-D3-50-Biotech-Pharmacal-Capsules/dp/B000A0F2B2
That sounds like a good plan to me.
7X50,000iu=350,000iu over the week, and that is a sensible amount to take to try to deal with the current deficiency status.
50,000/7=just over 7000iu daily and that is a reasonable amount to take daily to keep levels above 60ng/ml for most people. However a 25(OH)D test after 3months or so would be an idea to see if you are under/over target.

I think backing up with UVB/sun exposure whenever possible is also a good idea.
The body has a way of adjusting the amount absorbed (from skin and orally) so the higher your 25(OH)D the less is absorbed and the opposite is also true, people who are deficient have bodies hungry for vitamin d that will absorb more D3 when available than people with adequate or high status.

happydays

Original Poster
as far as bad timing goes, i need to have a tooth extracted next week. the physician told me to ask for penicillin to minimize the risk of another c-diff bout. any other ideas?

happydays

Original Poster
should I take 3 teaspoons of silver if I weigh 55lb? dosage is tricky for me. some drs don't even bother to adjust it for me.

pinballdoctor

should I take 3 teaspoons of silver if I weigh 55lb? dosage is tricky for me. some drs don't even bother to adjust it for me.
You could take an ounce or two per day of 20 ppm silver regardless of your weight.

It is not known for certain if colloidal silver kills good bacteria. The science suggests not because, in theory, good bacteria have thicker cell walls and/or are less acidic, however, it would be beneficial to take a good quality probiotic daily anyway... forever.

seekingcure

I had c. difficile and here's what my naturopath told me to take:

50 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract, 5 drops oregano oil, 5 drops Betaine HCL in water 3 times a day.

After a month of taking this 3x a day every day I was 90% cured, after two months, 100% cured.

It's a very bitter drink but it's nothing compared to symptoms and and danger of the c. diff. Bitter is good! Bitter means killing pathogens.
I am just starting the battle with C-diff. Can you please tell me is there any specific brand of grapefruit seed extract, oregano and Betaine HCL? Where do you find these?

Dragon Lady

It is not all the same poo in different guts..
are you really going to believe this?

if it were all the same we would all have the same bowel complaints, or not

there are many microbes they do not know how to test for

there are many microbes that come in from foreign nations that are foreign to us

many microbes mutate under the use of drugs...

many microbes adapt to very specific environments... how they gonna match things up?

What about cancer causing microbes.. are they screening for that... of course not... they don't even believe they exist... but most of us here know better.

Dear lady, I do hope you find a good naturopath to consult with.. In any case I would be on the GSE as soon as possible if it were me.
many microbes mutate under the use of drugs...

the life cycle of bacteria is fast and it adapts to the environment it is in..

happydays..when I was being treated, with heavy meds when I was being treated for lymes disease.. I took lacto bacilli.. they keep it in the pharmacy in the fridge.. it worked wonders..

Kendall

I know this is an old post but I wanted to reply and thank everyone for the helpful information. I contacted a mild case of c-diff after a visit to a hospital. I was bitten by a cat and developed cellulitis. I was in the hospital for three days of IV antibiotics.

After researching, I have decided not to take the Metronidazole that was prescribed to me. Instead, I'm taking grapefruit seed extract and oregano oil as suggested by U&iraok as well as probiotics. I plan to add the D3, curcumin and inulin. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Natmedguy83

Sorry for being so late to the thread, for the tooth infection I would have chewed xylitol gum, used xylitol toothpaste, and rinsed with xylitol mouthwash until the pain subsides. I had a bad tooth infection a couple years back and it really does help. Also Xylitol helps kill cdiff by breaking up the biofilm it creates in your gut.

Natmedguy83

Here's a study of xylitol and bovine colostrum (lactoferrin) being used as an alternative treatment for clostridium difficile -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8856319

Study about Xylitol helping treat Candida -
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Xylitol-inhibits-carcinogenic-acetaldehyde-product-Uittamo-Nieminen/2a4dc7251f272d426327beaa559d30ba2e252915/abstract

And here's a study on xylitol helping with reversing osteoporosis/osteopenia -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11721142

Keep in mind large doses can be dangerous (40 grams +) but 8-10 grams from chewing xylitol gum (Spry, Xylochew) or putting a teaspoon full in water should be fine for most people. It can cause intestinal upset, diarrhea, or possibly cause low blood sugar so be cautious with how much you take at first.