Nutritionists

uniden

Why do Nutritionists have a negative connotation in society? I know the reason is because supposedly "anyone" can call themselves a Nutritionist. In my opinion, one should have to attain a Master's Degree in Nutrition to call oneself that title. I gave my brief normative analysis, so I am left with one question: I wonder why the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says that "anyone" can call themselves a Nutritionist?

Reactions: jfh

tim.nathan

I wasn't aware that nutritionists have a negative connotation in society. It sounds like maybe there are no uniform standards(state, Federal) that define the educational level or practice of a "nutritionist. ? If not then definitely should be, as nutritional guidance is so vitally important, given the prevalence of metabolic syndrome among the fast food devouring public.

uniden

Original Poster
What I really meant was that the American Academy of Dietetics says that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but a dietician has to attain at least a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution. The idea that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist is wrong. There are Master's Degrees in Nutrition that people can earn to be called a Nutritionist. That's all I was saying.