Making your own Lugols iodine

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I am going to watch the videos now but i dont want want to make my own, i just want to buy some Lugols Iodine to supplement with, is this something that can be found in pharmacies or i have to order it from the internet?

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
You may be able to find it in pharmacies in your country, but not here in the USA. The percentage strength will determine how much you take orally. I get the strongest at 15%
I get mine here, from Eucador.

www.herbhealers.com

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I am going to watch the videos now but i dont want want to make my own, i just want to buy some Lugols Iodine to supplement with, is this something that can be found in pharmacies or i have to order it from the internet?

I supplement with the tablet version: Iodoral. I buy the 90 tabs - 50 mg - and cut into quarters. The one bottle of 90 that I purchased for $49.99 lasts for quite awhile. I am sure to have some Brazil Nuts for selenium before- and take Vit C much later in the day.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Brazil nuts have shown to be selenium deficient in some. How to know if you are getting the selenium you need?

Lugols iodine 15% is 7.3mg per drop.

pinballdoctor

Ebay has some 7% Lugol's iodine for $11 an ounce,( I bought some and like it) and an ounce goes a long way..

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
Brazil nuts have shown to be selenium deficient in some. How to know if you are getting the selenium you need?

Lugols iodine 15% is 7.3mg per drop.

There is much to learn about selenium. https://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/selenium/

Supplements are a great way to ensure proper selenium intake, but there are differences among them. Selenium comes in many forms. Most selenium supplements are selenium yeast, selenomethionine, selenite and selenate. Selenite and selenate are both inorganic forms of selenium and have an absorption rate of about 50%. This unfortunately, increases the chance of selenium toxicity. For this reason alone, organic forms of selenium, such as selenium yeast or selenomethionine, are safer and are more readily absorbed. In fact, organic forms of selenium are the only way to raise serum levels of selenium within the body. This is attributed to their bioavailability. When using organic forms of selenium, current research shows that doses up to 1600 mcg a day were well tolerated with no signs of toxicity although most experts recommend upper tolerable limits to be 400-600 mcg a day. Selenium yeast does have a higher absorption rate, (about 60-70%), than that of selenite or selenate. Yet some manufacturers simply add inorganic selenium to yeast products, so caution is necessary when taking such products. In addition, those with candida issues may want to avoid yeast type supplements as their specific symptoms could be compounded. Of the selenium supplements, selenomethionine has the best bioavailability with an absorption rate of 90%. It is organic and yeast free. When compared with other selenium supplements selenomethionine proves to be the most applicable and safest for long-term therapeutic use.

The beneficial nature of selenium supplementation cannot be underscored. For most, 200-400mcg of selenium will prove to be sufficient. Those with amalgam fillings or those supplementing with iodine may need more. As with most supplements, selenium can have toxic effects when used in excess. Symptoms of selenium toxicity include diarrhea, hair loss, brittle nails, and other gastro-intestinal upset. To reduce the risk of toxicity it is recommended to start with 200mcg working toward the upper tolerable limits of 400-600mcg of organic selenium. Careful and proper supplementation with selenium is a wise decision for those who suffer thyroid and auto-immune disorders as it works to correct imbalances in thyroid functioning and immune response.
In my case, not one doctor wanted to treat the multi-nodular goiter - just operate. That was in 2006. My goiter was upscanned, FNA'd, ultrasounds - and all was inconclusive. I do know I felt better immediately when I began the Iodoral. Major budgetary cuts forced me to try to find other ways to supplement, but I now understand it was a nutty way to supplement.

Back to supplement purchasing for me.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
This is going to come in handy and I've always wanted to try. So, I will soon, thanks.

Just to save you some math;

Making a batch today. Because I lost my 'cheat sheet' I had to recalculate.

Tony does 32oz distilled water, 88 grams KI, and 44 grams Iodine.

1oz = 28ml, which is a small dropper bottle.

Dividing 88/32 = 2.75grams KI
Dividing 44/32 = 1.375 grams Iodine

He claims about 7% in his product.
I've upped my dosage based on Dr Brownstein's recommendation, so my supply is going away much faster. :shock:

Gonna make 56ml today. :wave:

Rozzy

If you are buying Lugols Iodine and not making it:

Using 5% lugols Iodine gives you the opportunity to raise or lower the amount of drops you take as you desire without drastically changing the amount of Iodine like you would if your using a higher percentage iodine. A 7% Lugols is often recommended but I like the versatility of the 5%.
A 15% Lugols Iodine is available and makes economic sense if you by a one ounce bottle and cut it with distilled water so that you wind up with three ounces.

In Canada a person can buy Lugols in a variety of strengths and sizes, it is listed by Health Canada as a drug.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
At between 6 to 10 mg per drop, if one is taking even 12mg a day, which seems to be on the low side, you may not have to dilute your solution.

Remember to use distilled, deionized or RO filtered water if you do dilute.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
1) Doctor Wallach recommends 1mg of selenium per day.

2) As for Lugols iodine, I bought some 7% strength from ebay (good quality stuff) for $11.

1) That is triple of what Dr Brownstien recommends. :shock:

2) It's cheaper in Canada simply due to availability. The DEA is trying to make it unobtainable by claiming it's only use is for making meth, even though the Afghanistan war has been so successful that hardcore youths today are all doing heroin. :roll:

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I have his book: IODINE WHY YOU NEEDIT WHY YOU CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT IT 4th Edition

I have read that those with amalgams, may require MORE iodine. I believe he *Dr. Brownstein* takes 100 mg of Iodoral? I have been taking 50mg. Probably should do the test - I just don't have funds.
https://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/heavy_metals2.html

One Poster: Replies 06/16/2010: Joe from Jupiter, Fl replies: "Bill: Thank you for your time and assistance. In follow up clarification: If we always mix the Iodine with Ascorbic acid then is it 100% converted to Iodide? If so, I will only be getting the thyroid functioning benefits and not the Iodine positives (prostate). By mixing it in water only with-out Vit C, I will be getting both sides of the Iodine benefits but will have to tolerate the taste. The other option is to take Iodine with Vit C for higher concentration of Iodide and paint Iodine on the bottom of foot for specific Iodine benefits: which is what your doing.
I thought vit c was to be taken AWAY from Iodine/Iodoral? Confused.

https://iodinehealth.wordpress.com/iodine-protocol/

A note on supplement timing; Some people choose to split their iodine dose as well as other supplements. It is ok to do this but some people are sensitive to the energy aspect of iodine and may not be able to sleep if they take after 2 pm. I don’t split my dose I take it with breakfast but I have on occasion taken it in the afternoon with no problems. I have heard of some people taking a dose with breakfast and another before bed so it is an individual thing. Some people feel the need to take antioxidants separate from the iodine at least 2-3 hours after the iodine. Others take them together. The debate is that vitamin C can turn elemental iodine into potassium iodide. If you mix lugol’s into a glass of high vitamin C juice you will notice the color disappear. Generally Iodoral is coated to go into the intestine so it may not really be an issue to take a vitamin C capsule with an iodoral pill as the vitamin C will dissolve in the stomach. I take my main mix of vitamins with a meal late afternoon or early evening so mine is split anyway but it is something to consider.

jfh

perpetual student
Take ascorbic acid away from iodine of any formula. Basic chemistry 101 college classes prove the ascorbic acid will transform iodine into iodide. Both are good for you. Iodide is stored in the prostate and some other organs and tissue. The thyroid needs iodine, not iodide. So, in a health protocol, where you specifically need iodine to remain as iodine, keep it away from ascorbic acid. I would also recommend to keep it away from any antioxidant.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
The debate is that vitamin C can turn elemental iodine into potassium iodide
Not without potassium. Non aqueous KI saturates somewhere around 75% iodine. If you add more iodine, the powder turns orange, indicating that it is saturated.

Making iodine from KI

Additionally, with any ionic compound, your body has no problem employing both constituents, so do not worry if you don't have access to iodine; iodide or iodate function just fine.

Remember; "..........vitamin C functions both as an oxidant and an anti-oxidant......." Dr Brownstein

More on iodine

jfh

perpetual student
Additionally, with any ionic compound, your body has no problem employing both constituents, so do not worry if you don't have access to iodine; iodide or iodate function just fine.
Not according to the Iodine Group. There is a difference between iodine and iodide in what the body needs.

Iodine is considered important for proper breast structure and health. The specific form of molecular iodine (I2) (versus iodide, I-) is considered to be essential for a healthy breast.
https://iodine4health.com/body/body.htm
And this is why the Lugol's formula is best for health therapy. It contains iodine. It also contains iodide bound to potassium.

I've been trying to find which body parts store which form. But I have over 50 bookmarks and studies. It will take some time. I do know that the thyroid can convert iodine to iodide and only needs a minute amount to do that. But it needs iodine.

Cookie

Lovin' life~
Herbalist in Toronto makes Lugols solution.

Even if you don't make your own, this will give you a better understanding of what it is, what it does, how to use it and how to tell if you need it.

It is done in two parts;

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znqej6FBxTA&list=PL3C3EDA8B527A25A9&index=38&feature=plpp_video

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znqej6FBxTA&list=PL3C3EDA8B527A25A9&index=38&feature=plpp_video

Enjoy! :D

*marking for later

Hope you continue researching this jfh, especially which body part stores which form.

jfh

perpetual student
Hope you continue researching this jfh, especially which body part stores which form.
This is preliminary (no substantiating document).

Thyroid needs 3% prefers iodide (50mg iodide)(hence the high doses for radiation exposure)
Skin needs 20% and prefers iodide
Salivary Glands prefer iodide
Muscles (650mg) and fat needs(700mg iodine) 70%
Breast tissue needs 3-5 mg / day minimum and prefers iodine
Prostate prefers iodine
Stomach prefers iodine
Lungs prefer iodide
Entire body needs 1500 mg 2gm total

I was one of the bigger contributors to an iodine forum on curezone and started the iodine support forum, when the iodine supplementation forum became "wild" and unfriendly. However that forum has millions of views - extremely popular. I gave up on the splinter forum, when my 5 months of iodine use of more than 150mg per day was not helping an infection nor helping dysbiosis. But neither did 9 months of MMS. See? I don't give up easily.

Anyway, I sure wish I could find my notes of a personal phone call to one of the popular iodine doctors, Dr Brownstein https://iodine4health.com/ortho/brownstein_ortho.htm Lost it in a move from CA to TX.

There are 3 top doctors who used the Lugol's formula in their clinical trials, mostly for fibrocyctic breast disease. Drs Brownstein, Flechas, and Abraham. They used the Lugol's formula, because of the proper combination of iodine and potassium iodide. They formulated a tablet, called Iodoral, because it is more scientific to use exact dosage for clinical trials. Droppers would not be exacting. One never really knows how much plus or minus when dropping, such as verticle or horizontal application.

jfh

perpetual student
https://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller20.html
I'm really not trying to diss your arguments Goat. I agree that iodide is ok in all body parts. Many of these "parts" can control enzymes that can help convert iodine to the ion iodide or even fro iodide to iodine, but not in cases where there is compromise to the immune system. I'm just disgusted that I have gotten so disorganized in my info. I have piles of info on iodine in pdf documents that are not easy to glean. There is an iodine thread here on natmedtalk too.

Here some interesting info.

While major portion of iodine is concentrated in the thyroid gland, the non hormonal iodine is found in a variety of body tissues including mammary glands, eye, gastric mucosa, cervix and salivary glands (7). With the exception of mammary tissue the function of iodine in these tissues is still not clear (8). Accumulation of iodine in the breast plays an important role during breast feeding in fetal and neonatal development; however such iodine has also proven to have antioxidant function. In the presence of hydrogen peroxide and peroxidase, iodide acts as an electron donor, thereby decreasing damage by free oxygen radicals (9,10). On the contrary, breasts with inadequate iodine stores are prone to get damaged by accumulating high levels of malondialdehyde, a product of lipid peroxidation (11). Much alike ascorbic acid, iodine concentrations as low as 15 micromole, can have significant antioxidant effects (12). This antioxidant effect of iodine could explain the therapeutic effects of seaweed baths or iodine rich solutions that were historically used to treat many diseases (12).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3063534/

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
I'm really not trying to diss your arguments Goat. I agree that iodide is ok in all body parts. Many of these "parts" can control enzymes that can help convert iodine to the ion iodide or even fro iodide to iodine, but not in cases where there is compromise to the immune system. I'm just disgusted that I have gotten so disorganized in my info. I have piles of info on iodine in pdf documents that are not easy to glean. There is an iodine thread here on natmedtalk too.

No worries, Jim. I don't post for my ego, I post because hopefully a small percentage will read, investigate, try, or prove erroneous what I thought was fact. I didn't know about the immune compromise conundrum because I'm not battling one, so thanks for pointing that out.

Could you help me understand how vitamin C makes iodide? I'm a little confused.

Take ascorbic acid away from iodine of any formula. Basic chemistry 101 college classes prove the ascorbic acid will transform iodine into iodide. Both are good for you. Iodide is stored in the prostate and some other organs and tissue. The thyroid needs iodine, not iodide. So, in a health protocol, where you specifically need iodine to remain as iodine, keep it away from ascorbic acid. I would also recommend to keep it away from any antioxidant.

It would seem that we all have potassium in our systems, so any elemental iodine would 'dance' with potasium on it's way through our body. IIRC, all ions 'float' around. Furthermore, the elemental iodine would not form an aqeous solution without the potasium from the KI, which is why I'm also confused about an illness interfering with this ionic exchange.

jfh

perpetual student
Could you help me understand how vitamin C makes iodide? I'm a little confused.
It's called Redox Titration. Due to this reaction, the iodine formed is immediately reduced to iodide as long as there is any ascorbic acid present.

https://www.outreach.canterbury.ac.nz/chemistry/vitamin_C_iodine.shtml

The ascorbic acid is oxidised to dehydroascorbic acid, while the iodine is reduced to iodide ions.

As I recall, the solution becomes as transparent as water, colorless. Could be used on areas of the skin where you don't want purple to show to the public. Right? Might even be more stable than iodine. Iodide is more stable.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
It's called Redox Titration. Due to this reaction, the iodine formed is immediately reduced to iodide as long as there is any ascorbic acid present.
https://www.outreach.canterbury.ac.nz/chemistry/vitamin_C_iodine.shtml
The ascorbic acid is oxidised to dehydroascorbic acid, while the iodine is reduced to iodide ions.

As I recall, the solution becomes as transparent as water, colorless. Could be used on areas of the skin where you don't want purple to show to the public. Right? Might even be more stable than iodine. Iodide is more stable.
Ahhhh, ok, thanks!

I needed the redox refresher. Seems I was concentrating on one of the reactions and not the pair in chemistry.

I'm gonna drag my ascorbic acid powder out a little later and do this. :cool:

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
Sure enough, the color leaves the solution, and so does the taste.

To disinfect one liter of water, add five drops of Lugols solution and wait thirty minutes.

To remove the iodine taste, add a little ascorbic acid powder.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
Original Poster
Iodine is good for so many things.

***BUMP***

Good thread for newer members to become acquainted with.

Oh, Jim, you saved my skin with your knowledge on this post; I was medicating the puppies tummy with my Lugols, and he kicked the bottle over on the hardwood floor!

I was able to remove the stain by acting quickly with the vitamin C powder. Perhaps oxalic acid would have worked too, but I had no doubt regarding the ascorbic acid. :D