Hurricane Season coming

just me

Ok, After having to evacuate for hurricane last year, and seeing all the people who were stuck on the side of the road because of running out of gas and/or overheating their cars,
I decided to try and be a little more prepared. Because of the people in my care, I am obligated by law to evacuate, or can be prosecuted... not to mention I wouldnt put my people in harms way even if they didnt force me to leave.... My question...... I have been buying the detergent in the big 2.34 gallon containers. These containers have a pouring spout, and are easy to refill. I have been saving the containers, and assume that I can use them for water for emergencies like car radiators and washing hands and so on, but is there a way that I can clean these containers out enough that it would be safe to store drinking water in them..... I have been rinsing and rerinsing them quite a few times, I have poured vinegar in them to try and help get all the soap out, and when I am done cleaning, I have tasted the water and it doesnt taste soapy.... Would this be a safe alternative to those really expensive water jugs.... While driving during evacuation, I have seen people broken down in the past.... If I have these jugs, I wouldnt hesitate to give them a jug of water... but if it isnt safe for them to drink, Im not sure how much help that would be.... Seems I remember a story last year about a lady who lost two of her disabled children because they broke down during evacuation and the kids got dehydrated..... I would hate to not be able to help if I could find a way how to.... What say you, you people of wisdom.... how safe would this be or how can I make it a safe container?

Xania

https://www.custompure.com/doc/storage.htm

https://www.disasternecessities.com/site/542519/page/215824
This site has a reduced price sale of water storage and purification items. It also sells colloidal silver.

https://theepicenter.com/tow02236.html
Useful information on how much bleach or tincture of iodine to use for purification of water.

What type of plastic - metal is the detergent container made of?

There were many other sites about emergency water storage, but they all want to sell things.

Xania

Just me, thinking about your storage containers - if you have washed them out so often and removed all traces of detergent, then cleaned them with vinegar, they must be clean. I would be happy to use them for drinking water. I think I would put some CS or iodine in with the water.

If they are made of plastic then according to some advice, they should be stored away from light, but that just means covering them. As a rule of thumb, if something looks right, smells right, tastes right, then it is all right. Short of getting laboratory tests done you may be confident that your stored water is OK.

Let us know what you do, please. And we pray that you have an evacuation free hurricane season. Better still I wish you a hurricane free hurricane season!

just me

Original Poster
Ok, the plastic is nuber four. Which is used for mustard jars and so forth, so its an ok plastic (as far as plastic goes) I think my biggest concern would be making sure that the residue from the detergent is out of it. These are good quality jugs, and would be great for reusing as long as the detergent isnt going to stay in the plastic. Thanks for the help ladies, greatly appreciate it!!!

Mad Scientest

This is what I would do, fill them with water and let them sit for a few days to a week, then empty and refill them. Repeat this a number of times. I would expect this would to flush out any containments or at least get them down to a tolerable level for use as an emergency supply.

Then follow Xania’s advice and the CS or maybe a few drops of chlorine.

EarlyBird

Water Jugs!

Mary, the soap jugs you've mentioned should be
fine to reuse for water. I think I filled those back
when I was preparing for Y2K :oops: or some such.
:lol: I added 2 or 3 drops of Clorox to each
one for storage. I also used empty Clorox jugs, etc.

I think you're wise to plan ahead. If not needed for
a Hurricane this year, just think how much water
you've got to water plants with. :roll: