How long does it take

Wan

Hello. I keep a food journal to track what I eat, and also to find out if any particular food causes problems. For example, if I am having a bad case of diarrhea today, I will consult the journal to see what I ate. However, I don't know how far back to go. The diarrhea could be caused by food I ate last night at 6 PM, or it could be the breakfast I ate yesterday at 6 AM. My point is, I do not know what the offending food was because I do not know how long it usually takes for the food I ate to go through my digestive system.

Can you help? Thanks.

jfh

perpetual student
I'm only familiar with elimination diet. This is where you eliminate foods for 3 to 4 weeks. Then reintroduce each food one at a time. Each food is introduced for 3 days. If nothing happens, then reintroduce the next food. Research elimination diet to see if this will help.

jfh

perpetual student
While you are testing your diet, also research Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Nearly everything I've read says peppermint oil supplements can really help. Easy to try and not expensive. Take one about 1/2 hour before a meal. If you search IBS products on Amazon, you'll see how peppermint oil is favored by so many people.

jaminhealth

On another group where I'm a member we are having a great education with the Blood Type information, Eat Right For Your Type...do you know what you blood type is, that is a needed start. I've had this book for over 20 yrs and getting serious with it again.

Your current issue could be from spicy foods...

Lindy62

Hello. I keep a food journal to track what I eat, and also to find out if any particular food causes problems. For example, if I am having a bad case of diarrhea today, I will consult the journal to see what I ate. However, I don't know how far back to go. The diarrhea could be caused by food I ate last night at 6 PM, or it could be the breakfast I ate yesterday at 6 AM. My point is, I do not know what the offending food was because I do not know how long it usually takes for the food I ate to go through my digestive system.

Can you help? Thanks.
Regarding how long, for me it’s about 24 hours from eating the food to eliminating. But I’m normally constipated and go only once a day or every other day. But with diarrhea it’s obviously going through you much faster. When you first get diarrhea you’re probably eliminating yesterday's food if you haven’t already.

jaminhealth

Constant diarrhea is NOT good, but now and then OK as it's a detoxing of the system as well. Better loose than bound up with NOT going...I have worked on my system to go 2-3 times daily....I've had a history of constipation and it's the PITS....

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
A Metamucil type product (psyllium seed) taken daily is very good for constipation, although it's not actually a laxative. Are you taking a probiotic? I've been using one for a few years now, although not daily, if you havn intestinal disturbance like diarrhea, it can help greatly even if taken on a temporary basis.

The one I use and like very much is the Garden of Life brand, Raw Probiotics, 100 Billion guaranteed, 34 strains. It's pricey and needs to be refrigerated....but well worth it. Seems now they have a version that doesn't need refrigeration, but I will stick with mine for now.