How do I gain 5 lbs?

Sharon

How do I gain 5 - 10 lbs. in a sensible way?

just me

heheehhehhehehheeeee..... I will give you some of mine.... come and get it...... I have no problem gaining weight and keeping it on..... pizza and ice cream is how I got it on.....
Seriously, all I could think of would be to add a few extra meals... or a couple of protein shakes.....

shapshftr

It may not be sensible but....beer did it for me. I used to weigh 107 - 110. Then I started drinking beer with the guys after work, and bingo, in a year I put on about 15 or so pounds. But that's it, I leveled out at 125. Perfect weight for my height.

Mike

weight gain

Sharon,

Without knowing your age, goals, condition, etc., it would be difficult to say how to gain weight. Generally, however, a sensible way would be to eat maybe six meals per day, including plenty of good-quality protein. Can you lift some weights to build muscle? Since muscle is heavier than fat, I would assume you would want the muscle. Eating foods which provide conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) will increase the muscle and limit the fat build-up. Don't over-do the weights. You don't want to look like California Gov. Arnold.

Mike

Sharon

Original Poster
I am 40 and weigh 120 lbs. 125 - 130 is my ideal weight, where I look & feel best.

We have been through a very stressful time in our lives and are picking up pieces to move on. I had been trying to loose weight before this all happened - had lost the amount I wanted too. I was no longer trying to loose any weight and still lost another 10 lbs. I've gained 2 back so far, but, I'm too thin in my opinion. I always was the "fat one" and my sister was the "thin one" - now I'm thinner than she is!

It seems I need a layer of fat under my skin all over. My hands don't have the amount of cushion they used to, especially when lifting heavy objects or trying to open a jar lid, things like that - hurt my hands. Sitting on wooden chairs too long makes my back hurt. It feels like my bones are not padded enough anymore.

So what kinds of food would help put a fat padding on without causing problems? By the way, we do eat a good diet.

Xania

Hi Sharon
Something about your symptoms reminds me of a condition treated in Chinese medicine. When someone has been through tough times and used up many of the resources that we bring to this life, then the things you describe so clearly - thin hands, back hurts when sitting, etc, are treatable by TCM. Is there a practitioner near you? It will speed up your recovery of you can find someone to help. Or you can go it alone but you risk a partial or incomplete recovery if you rely on nutritional means alone.
Good luck.

shapshftr

Sharon said:
I am 40 and weigh 120 lbs. 125 - 130 is my ideal weight, where I look & feel best.

We have been through a very stressful time in our lives and are picking up pieces to move on. I had been trying to loose weight before this all happened - had lost the amount I wanted too. I was no longer trying to loose any weight and still lost another 10 lbs. I've gained 2 back so far, but, I'm too thin in my opinion. I always was the "fat one" and my sister was the "thin one" - now I'm thinner than she is!

It seems I need a layer of fat under my skin all over. My hands don't have the amount of cushion they used to, especially when lifting heavy objects or trying to open a jar lid, things like that - hurt my hands. Sitting on wooden chairs too long makes my back hurt. It feels like my bones are not padded enough anymore.

So what kinds of food would help put a fat padding on without causing problems? By the way, we do eat a good diet.
Sharon,

It sounds like you just need to be patient, and give it time. Stress eats your body alive, and you have obviously been under a good amount of stress for a considerable time. Two of my daughters have gone through ups and downs with their weight several times. They were just the right weight to begin with, then lost several pounds and were too thin. Every time it happened, they were under some heavy stress for several months. Just getting rid of the stress was all it took for them to go back to their normal weight.

You should try to find ways to relax and put all your cares behind you now. Learning to meditate can be very calming and relieve stress as well as tranquilizers. If you are still under some stress, I'd suggest you start getting some free time to yourself to start doing some daily meditation. It doesn't have to be any special meditation, just the deep rythmic breathing for a good period of time. When I do it, it makes my blood pressure drop to 90/50. That's pretty calm!!! The hardest part for me is not falling asleep when I do it.

Sally B.

Sharon,

I agree with Shapshftr. My mom lost a bunch of weight when my dad was ill. Over the past few years she regained all of the weight she lost and more without trying. Now she is trying to lose the weight again!

Sally B. :)

just me

Sharon, I would rather you just come and take mine.... pleaseeeeeeee I will give you all the excess weight you want... .and it wont cost ya a thing!!!!! I was told to help build muscle, you need more protein!!!!

Sharon

Original Poster
Thanks, Mary! Just a nice thin coating to put under my skin! That should do it. :)

I never thought I'd be wanting more fat on me! I always had to watch my weight. If I want to see a silver lining to that cloud - it would be that stress can help loose weight! But I certainly will not wish stress on anybody.

Josy

how to put on 5 lbs

Everybody I know lose weight with stress, am I the only one who puts ON weight? :(

Josy