Honey Proves More Effective Than OTC Cough Medications

Harry Hirsute

A new study by a Penn State College of Medicine research team found that honey may offer parents an effective and safe alternative than over the counter children's cough medicines.

The study found that a small dose of buckwheat honey given before bedtime provided better relief of nighttime cough and sleep difficulty in children than no treatment or dextromethorphan (DM), a cough suppressant found in many over-the-counter cold medications.

Honey did a better job reducing the severity, frequency and bothersome nature of nighttime cough from upper respiratory infection than DM or no treatment. Honey also showed a positive effect on the sleep quality of both the coughing child and the child’s parents. DM was not significantly better at alleviating symptoms than no treatment.

These findings are especially notable since an FDA advisory board recently recommended that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines not be given to children less than 6 years old because of their lack of effectiveness and potential for side effects.

The results are published by Penn State College of Medicine researchers, led by Ian Paul, M.D., M.Sc., in this month’s Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
https://www.physorg.com/news115922609.html

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Honey and hot lemon aide. Thats what I was always given. I thought it worked.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
dextromethorphan (DM) will not be better when used singly. It really is a waste. It needs to be used with regular robitussin. DM suppresses the cough but robitussin (guaifenesin) thins the secretions sufficiently so that they can move and the cough beomes more efficient. We use robitussin all the time in respiratory patients with pneumonia. It really helps. The DM part we only use occassionaly as cough suppressant is a dangerous thing for lots of folks. Anyway I wouldn't use DM on kids. Only old folks or where symptom repression is necessary for one reason or another.

Sally B.

Honey mixed with cocoa sounds excellent to me. Studies showed that cocoa worked better than any cough medicine! I was wondering how I would take the cocoa if I had a cough. Now I know!

Sally B.