Homemade Weight Gainer

Firekin4

I tried searching for homemade weight gainer and protein shakes, but they all include storebought protein powders with a bunch of added crap, and I prefer making things from scratch. Anyone have any all-natural recipes or alternatives to these protein powders? Maybe chickpea flour and some type of grain flour?

D Bergy

L-Glutamine is used to build muscle. It also builds up the mucosa in the gut which is what I take it for. Really works well for the latter.

Dan

bulrush

But how do we know how much of each mineral we need for healthy bodies? The RDA is just the minimum to prevent disease, and there isn't an RDA for all minerals.

jfh

perpetual student
But how do we know how much of each mineral we need for healthy bodies? The RDA is just the minimum to prevent disease, and there isn't an RDA for all minerals.
Agree. Some minerals are not eliminated very well and can cause toxicity. Iron and selenium are two. Zinc is very healthy, but more than 40mg per day can cause harm. How much is too much? Perhaps it is different for each individual, or perhaps it is different for each race/country.

Ajax

Gelatin, brewers yeast, and eggs. When I was active in body building I downed a glassful of a half dozen raw eggs like in Rocky, although there can be concern of salmonella in raw eggs. Also remember the added protein will all turn to fat unless you are doing a full workout that day.

thunderseed

You need to eat some protein but mostly carbs. If you don't eat more carbs than protein, you will lose muscle mass and your body will go into ketosis.

The best way to gain weight is to just eat real food at normal meals. I'm a muscular athlete, and I gain muscle by lifting heavy weights only once a week or sometimes even once every two weeks, eating 3 large meals a day, sleeping well at night and by getting lots of rest on rest days. My preferred form of protein is meat, of course.

shakirajane

A lack of protein in your diet can lead to the loss of lean body mass, even if you're consuming excess calories. Here are some foods to consider
Boiled soybeans
Soy or whey protein powder
Peanuts or peanut butter
Steak or hamburger
Chicken