Extreme reactions to vitamins and OTC meds

NorthernRayn

Hello guys, so I’ve been big on vitamins and the like for years, I’ve done lots of research over the years, and generally speaking can help others with their search for supplements. But about a month ago now, I had a 100ish degree fever for a few days, and started developing EXTREME reactions to thing as basic as Vitamin A, Zinc Gluconate, milder reactions to turmeric, and even bentonite clay. I quit essentially everything, and the issues resolved. I still haven’t touched most things, but this morning I took an allergy pill, Zyrtec to be exact, my normal allergy pill, and again had an extreme reaction to it. A few examples of the reactions I’m referring to are: very elevated heart rate, extreme anxiety (of which I have never suffered from in any way), extreme hyperactivity, dizziness, minor confusion and chills. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? If I go to a doctor they’ll either start draining my bank account with useless testing, or tell me it’s just in my head and I need some prescription. I’m in my early 30s, male, no major health issues or surgeries ever. Thank you guys for your time.

I'm not quite sure what could be wrong here. Your symptoms sound like it could be one of a million things. This could be gut issues, this could be that you're coming down with an illness, maybe they changed an ingredient in your allergy pill that didn't sit well, or you could have a sensitivity to something. These can develop at any point in life.

I suppose ask yourself when you feel your best and when you feel your worst, jot it down.

How much of each supplement are you taking per day? Even too much of a natural thing can be harmful.

One thing that pops out to me as a possibility is Vitamin A toxicity. Some Vitamin A's that are a synthetic retinol can have more issues with them. If you don't have enough vitamin D in your body, you can't always counteract the vitamin A. Generally when people eat things like liver, there are high levels of D and A, they help balance each other out.

Here are some signs and symptoms of Vitamin A toxicity:

-Blurry vision/vision changes
-Osteoporosis
-Swelling of the bones
-Bone pain
-Poor appetite
-Dizziness
-Nausea and vomiting
-Sensitivity to sunlight
-Dry, rough skin
-Itchy/peeling skin
-Cracked fingernails
-Skin cracks at the corners of your mouth
-Mouth ulcers
-Yellowed skin (jaundice)
-Hair loss
-Respiratory infection
-Confusion
-Kidney damage

It's easier to gain toxic levels of vitamins A, D, E, and K because they are "fat-soluble", which means they store more readily in your body and aren't flushed out as quickly.

If you have those symptoms, stop taking vitamin A for a couple weeks and problems will usually subside. With supplements, I rarely take them every day, I suppose it's my fear of over doing it, but I aim for taking them every other day. The only exceptions are topical magnesium oil.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, nor am I qualified to diagnose or treat any illness. My advice is not designed to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. Do not use writings in this post to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease or condition.

jaminhealth

OP: I got off all allergy drugs in 1995 when Pycnogenol and then subsequently Grape Seed Extract and that was 25 yrs ago.....I had a mess of allergy issues, the sore throat queen etc....not a sore throat in 25 yrs....

What is your major issue? Why is bentonite clay mentioned...I bought some of this stuff and made some clay pack for my knee and boy was that messy....finally threw the jar away....

Grape Seed Extract is a TOTAL overall miracle in my life and I'm 82....do your research on it if you have an interest.....My wish for decades is that everyone could be so much healther if they took this antioxidant.

RobertJ

That's interesting. As mentioned, it could be a buildup of the fat soluble vitamins. It could be the allergy meds. I once had bad reactions to resveratrol. You don't want to abandon all supplements. So maybe let your system clear out and then take the tried and true such as Vitamin C. If all goes well, add some of the other basics. And maybe try to get the fat soluble vitamins from diet alone. And probably also avoid the zyrtec forever.

EveryHerb

Hello guys, so I’ve been big on vitamins and the like for years, I’ve done lots of research over the years, and generally speaking can help others with their search for supplements. But about a month ago now, I had a 100ish degree fever for a few days, and started developing EXTREME reactions to thing as basic as Vitamin A, Zinc Gluconate, milder reactions to turmeric, and even bentonite clay. I quit essentially everything, and the issues resolved. I still haven’t touched most things, but this morning I took an allergy pill, Zyrtec to be exact, my normal allergy pill, and again had an extreme reaction to it. A few examples of the reactions I’m referring to are: very elevated heart rate, extreme anxiety (of which I have never suffered from in any way), extreme hyperactivity, dizziness, minor confusion and chills. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? If I go to a doctor they’ll either start draining my bank account with useless testing, or tell me it’s just in my head and I need some prescription. I’m in my early 30s, male, no major health issues or surgeries ever. Thank you guys for your time.
I'm sorry you are having these issues but I have learned that even with taking natural herbs (which I have been religiously daily doing for over 4 years now) that I have researched and found that some herbals despite their great benefits have adverse with certain prescribed medications. Like this article (https://www.drtaniadempsey.com/post/2017/06/01/5-natural-antihistamines-to-combat-allergies#:~:text=5.,can even inhibit anaphylactic reactions). It essentially points out that certain fruits or herbs are filled with histamine that would counteract a prescribed powerful anti-histamine such as Zyrtec. Please read and see the ones you should avoid when taking your prescribed medications. Personally, I rarely take prescribed medications so that is why I am personally unfamiliar with these adverse reactions. I really hopes this helps you!

EveryHerb

OP: I got off all allergy drugs in 1995 when Pycnogenol and then subsequently Grape Seed Extract and that was 25 yrs ago.....I had a mess of allergy issues, the sore throat queen etc....not a sore throat in 25 yrs....

What is your major issue? Why is bentonite clay mentioned...I bought some of this stuff and made some clay pack for my knee and boy was that messy....finally threw the jar away....

Grape Seed Extract is a TOTAL overall miracle in my life and I'm 82....do your research on it if you have an interest.....My wish for decades is that everyone could be so much healther if they took this antioxidant.
My issues were arthritis which I basically stopped/cure or however you want to term it by taken 2-3 times a day liquid herbal extracts of Boswelia (which is another form of Frankincense), Devil's Claw, and Dandelion root extracts for the inflammation and detoxification of my inflammed joints that had collected deposits that had hardened from too much consumed bad foods high in processed proteins (fast food hamburgers, non-organic pork and meats, non-organic nuts, caffeine, and lack of consuming the correct organic fruits that would cleanse the inflamed joints and tissues out in our bodies. I'm very glad that the astringent efficacy of Grape seed Extract helped you out!