• Due to lack of activities, this forum is set to be closed at the end of this month (Aug 31), the forum has been set to read-only mode. Thanks for all your support over the years!

Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) is an inexpensive and EXCELLENT addition to hot bath water for a soothing muscle-relaxing bath, I use 2 cups per bath.

For use as a soaking aid for minor sprains and bruises, 2 cups per gallon of water is recommended. Apply with bandages or toweling for 30 minutes up to three times per day.

Saline Laxative effects can be achieved for adults with 2-6 tsp. daily, mixed with at least 8 ounces of water, preferable more. Children 6-12 yrs.old should use 1-2 tsp. daily. Under 6yrs. only under doctors advice.

It is also highly recommended as a plant food supplement. As a fertilizer for lawns, 1/2 lb. per 1,000 sq. ft. is recommended. 1 tsp. for houseplants, 2 tbls. for trees once every 4 months is ideal.

Since Epsom Salt is relaxing to the muscles, it is also recommended for Autistic children, as a calming agent in the bath.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3444

Epsom Salt is an item I would recommend for everyone to have handy in their medicine cabinets.

Warnings:

* If you have kidney disease, consult your doctor first.
* If you're on a magnesium-restricted diet
* If you experience abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting
* Sudden change in bowel habit that exceeds over 2 weeks

jw8725

Hi I have a question about this. I'm thinking of adding some Epsom Salts to a foot spa. I'd like to know if the body would be able to absorb sufficient quantities. I don't normally have the time to kick back with a full tub filled bath due to a busy lifestyle.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Hi I have a question about this. I'm thinking of adding some Epsom Salts to a foot spa. I'd like to know if the body would be able to absorb sufficient quantities. I don't normally have the time to kick back with a full tub filled bath due to a busy lifestyle.
I don't know about the body absorbing sufficient amounts for magnesium supplementation as far as daily requirements, but I definitely recommend epsom salts in a foot bath for relaxation of the foot muscles, nothing better!

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I add magnesium chloride to this concoction and take it orally. Really helps fight inflammation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LGU_kefdU

Same guy taught me how to make my own Lugol's solution.