Edible and useful wild plants

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Here's a great article on Stinging Nettles:

https://www.naturalnews.com/027290_stinging_nettles_health_herbs.html

Maria Treben, a European Herbalist, the author of "Health Through God's Pharmacy" said eating 10 stems from a dandelion for 14 days is used as a treatment for "sickly people who feel constantly tired and are without energy." She said the effect is "surprising." I've been buying dandelion at the health food store for several years but decided to start harvesting it myself. It has been a fun adventure to find them as well as finding fresh rose hips. Dandelions are the best crop in my garden.:)

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Prunella vulgaris - Heal-all or woundwort.
Grows all over the US and Europe.

Heals things that will not heal. Antimicrobial. Best choice for lymph and mastitis, open wounds, internal wounds.

jfh

perpetual student
Wow. Very good. Nettles is a good source of vitamin C too. Not as good as kiwi or others, but never the less, good. The article talks about steeping for tea. Not a good idea at all. Most herbs, including nettles, lose many of there benefits due to heat. It is better to put them in room temp water and let them steep over night. Or better yet, get the powdered nettles and take them in capsules or with water.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I've been hanging on herbal forums lately and the majority of herbalist feel that infusions are the best application of most herbs... tinctures and decoctions next but it can vary somewhat from herb to herb as to how best to release its potency. Capsules the least effective. I have no opinion at this point.. but I will be doing a course of Pau de Arco soon, and have been strongly advised by several to make a tea of it... not to take powdered in capsules... I am starting with tablets as that is what I have until my order arrives.

Steamed nettles served much like spinach is reported to clear out allergies if taken when the plant first appears in the spring. The steaming eliminates the prickleyness

I had a friend who had severe abdominal pain causing her to spend much time in the hospital under morphine. They could not and never did diagnosis the problem but likely related to her liver and or pancreas. Many tests were done and some quite invasive.

She cured herself according to her mothers plan, who resided in Poland... drink many cups of nettle tea a day and take the first urine orally in the morning. She is quite well now but she does have to avoid bread.

Earth Seller

For dinner today I enjoyed Wild Lambsquarters a wild green that grows in gardens mulch piles waste areas... Its full of nutrition, taste like spinch and you can eat it in a salad or cook it... I picked it back in the summer froze it so I could enjoy it today... Fix like you would turnup greens or collards. Add water bring to a boil a pinch of salt. When the leaves are cooked down and dark green ad a few drops of olive oil or your favorite oil. (some times good with onions chopped up while cooking).

Thrasymachus

Infusions are the most effective period. The only caveat it that it is more time consuming. It concentrates the active compounds into liquid which you can let evaporate(even more time). The capsules are often just the ground up plant material, which is non-concentrated.