Dried Lips

GreenLife4Me

I have got this problem of "dried lips" for years. Even if I have just drunk a glass of water, my lips would appear completely dried. My lips also appear to be swollen and cracked and it gives a very bad overall look to my face. As a consequence, I feel very in-confident.
Can someone please advise me regarding what should I do to cater this issue?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Coconut oil internally and externally is good for the skin and dryness. I use Nature's Way EfaGold organic, pure, extra virgin, 62% MCTs, cold-pressed, unrefined. It's oily to use on your lips out in public, but well worth putting some on at home. Internally, I use 1 tablespoon per day.

Something else that's really good is using a vitamin E stick, usually available at health food stores, etc. Also natural vitamin E (d-alpha), internally, I use 400IUs just a couple of times a week.

I find that taking fish oil daily, also seems to help the skin. I don't let my lips get to the point where they start cracking. I've been using chapstick type products for a long time, but prefer the more natural ones, which always cost more money. No matter what you use, keep one in every pocket so you can apply frequently. If you lick your lips a lot, you can take some magnesium citrate daily, as it helps with anxiety and calming the nerves.

beefwhite

I have a similar problem. I've tried many different lip balms and find that the best is the regular carmex. I have heard the coconut oil works great but it's so expensive where I live.

I have also read that mango butter works really well. The fats in mango butter are composed mostly of oleic and stearic acids. This makes mango butter a powerhouse at adding softness and moisture to the lips.

Also eating sunflower seeds is meant to help as they contain a lot of fatty acids and healthy oils.

jfh

perpetual student
I have heard the coconut oil works great but it's so expensive where I live.
Coconut oil is quite expensive everywhere. But it is so versatile. You can even use it as a deodorant. It has 8 acids that are antibacterial. Lauric and caprylic. Caprylic is used to kill Candida. Lauric is only found elsewhere in human breast milk. Coconut oil is really the best, IMO, for higher temp cooking as its burn temp is higher than most. And it lasts on the shelf for about 2 years, due to the antibacterials. It's pretty good as a skin moisturizer too. I will help a little to keep from sunburning. https://www.livestrong.com/article/261709-a-list-of-fatty-acids-in-coconut-oil/

Maybe it's worth the cost. ?

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I thought Vitacost and Costco were fairly cheap.

Maybe it's relative to use; A little goes a long way.

Relative to how beneficial to health it is, I find it cheap again.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Like Solstice goat said, a little goes a long way depending on how it's used. I buy mine when it's on sale, so I save a few dollars there.

Also, remember that hydrating from within, by drinking filtered water every day also is key in helping with dry skin/lips. Treat your lips every night too, before bed. I imagine extra virgin olive oil would work also, if you have that on hand. I've used it before for a mini-facial.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
The one I buy at my local Vitamin Cottage is called Vitamin E Stick, and the brand is Reviva. There's other natural ingredients in there other than vitamin E, and it costs $2.99. I don't use it all the time, because I can get chapsticks for $1. But...I just bought one recently, and I like it soooo much better, well worth treating myself now and then for quality lip care. :)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
It definitely has a more soothing feel on the lips compared to chapstick or others I've tried, even the more natural ones. If licking the lips due to anxiety is a problem, then a magnesium citrate supplement may help to calm.

clairebear83

Make sure not to use any lipbalm with paraffin in it (like vaseline) this only dries your skin out which is why you have to keep reapplying!