Do you use hydrochloric acid?

mommysunshine

Something I've wrestled with is the idea I may need hydrochloric acid.

It seems overkill but I'm approaching 40 and food does seem to "sit" in my stomach BUT I do eat hard to digest stuff like nuts, seeds, beans, and fibrous veggies.

My 4 year old eats what I eat and often times there's food in her stool undigested.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I agree with all of that. With your child enzymes may be the issue. but its not too uncommon for real little kids not to digest some veggies very well... 3 and under.

mommysunshine

Original Poster
jfh, you know what is so weird? I have Floridex swedish bitters and when I tried them for several days I developed pain in my appendix area. I backed off then tried again about a month later and the same thing happened. What the heck?

I don't know why I would be nervous to give my daughter digestive enzymes. I guess it's that I can't know 100% that the product isn't going to have any hidden fillers.

I did the hcl test and it revealed that I'm low. I like the idea that the pancreas may kick in and produce more hcl after I"ve used the supplement for a while. It's worth a try.

Anyone need it for some time then not need it again?

jfh

perpetual student
The pancreas produces sodium bicarbonate and enzymes, when stimulated by stomach acid (HCL) dumping into the small intestines during digestion. The pancreas produces this bicarbonate to neutralize the acid. So, the pancreas is not going to "kick in and produce hcl".

HCL is produced by the stomach. As we get older, the stomach produces less. This is why so many have digestive problems. Digestive bitters will slowly help to flush and clean the liver as one of its functions. This should not cause uncomfortable situations. Something else must be going on. When you use digestive bitters, you should only use enough to taste the bitter on the back of your tongue. Take half of whatever the bottle says. The bitter taste will stimulate the vagus nerve which will in turn stimulate all those things that will help your digestion. Bitters are not harmful and have been used for at least a century. I prefer grape bitters to swedish bitters.

There should be no problem with taking hcl for a short period. Another solution would be to take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water with your meal. The acid will help digestion.

TMG is another amazing supplement that will help so many things, including digestion. Search for info on this forum.