Do you drink red wine daily?

jbo

Just wondering if any of you drink red wine everyday? I've been drinking one glass of red wine on the weekends, but not on the weekdays. I've read a few times that the max should be 1 glass for women and 2 glasses for men, but we both drink just one glass and only on weekends.

I did see that the average glass is only about 100 calories and is really low in carbs as well, so we've been thinking about drinking one glass everyday.

Dr. Oz
https://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Ozs-Ultimate-Anti-Aging-Checklist/5

Saw this about drinking and the heart and it appears my wife might be drinking too much if she has a glass of wine every day with dinner

"Though definitions of "heavy" drinking varied, it meant at least two or more drinks per day for men, and one or more per day for women"
https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110120/hl_nm/us_drinking_heart

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Do not listen to the media. You can have 4 glasses a day. McDonalds is far worse for your liver than booze. (And by booze, I mean beer and wine)

Thrasymachus

No wine, alcohol is bad period. You can get much more benefit, cheaper, without all the bad effects of alcohol with resveratrol supplementation.

jbo

Original Poster
No wine, alcohol is bad period. You can get much more benefit, cheaper, without all the bad effects of alcohol with resveratrol supplementation.
From the link above

"Eighty percent of the benefit of the wine is actually the alcohol, and 20 percent is the resveratrol," Dr. Oz says. "So it's the combination that makes red wine so valuable."

"And alcohol in general - any kind, not only wine - has been found to raise the levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol."
https://www.suite101.com/content/3-surprising-health-benefits-of-red-wine-a199755

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
We don't drink red wine very often, maybe a glass or two around the holiday season. I've heard that it's good for you though, either one glass of red wine or one beer per day. But that's just a suggestion, and nothing's set in stone for the individual. You can have a half-glass per day, or a glass just a few times a week if desired. Here's an article about red wine and cancer that's worth looking at.
https://www.healthyfellow.com/692/best-of-red-wine-cancer-connection/

pinballdoctor

The benefit is in the grapes, not the wine.

Alcohol in any amount is not healthy. Of course the alcohol industry would not agree, however, alcohol is fermented sugar, and sugar stuns the immune system, which can lead to all kinds of health issues..

Su Lee

A glass of red wine contains 500 calories and 47 g carbohydrate. The calories and carbohydrate , if not burnt off by exercise, will be stored as fat. So, you can accumulate body fat from alcohol. Besides, the alcohol will put pressure on your liver to detox.

jbo

Original Poster
A glass of red wine contains 500 calories and 47 g carbohydrate. The calories and carbohydrate , if not burnt off by exercise, will be stored as fat. So, you can accumulate body fat from alcohol. Besides, the alcohol will put pressure on your liver to detox.
Where did you come up with these numbers? I'd like to see a link because I can't find anything that has wine that high. Are you talking about drinking the entire bottle possiblly?

Dry Red wine 166 calories
https://www.weightlossforall.com/calories_wine.htm

After looking at a hundred differnet sites, you have to without a doubt be talking about an entire bottle of wine

Here take a look at this link, it's 500 calories for an entire bottle and not 47 grams of carbs, but 4.7 grams.
https://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calorie-counter/wine_calories/

I actually make wine myself and the yeast takes care of the sugar, which is the reason why dry wine is actually low in carbs. I know many people who are on low carb diet that actually drink wine. Here's an article about low carb diets and red wine
https://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12459.asp

jbo

Original Poster
The benefit is in the grapes, not the wine.

Alcohol in any amount is not healthy. Of course the alcohol industry would not agree, however, alcohol is fermented sugar, and sugar stuns the immune system, which can lead to all kinds of health issues..
Intresting, because I've only heard the opposite and have only read the opposite. Isn't there study after study from doctor after doctor indicating the benefits of drinking one glass of wine a day.

Even years ago I remember watching the French Paradox, in that they have a higher fat diet than other countries, yet they have less heart and health issues. They even compared other countries with similar intake and exercise and the French still had better health.

They indicated that the french drink wine every single day, which most countries do not.

To say "Alcohol in any amount is not healthy", is this simply your gut feeling or do you have any study or any real information, because everything else leads to the opposite that heavy drinking is unhealthy and no drinking at all is also less healthy. Moderation seems to be the healthiest.

If you have intrest in the French Paradox, here's two videos I found on the story, which is very old news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3xjoWy2IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njm1LkXP2sg

Thrasymachus

Dr. Oz is selling hokum he gives no sources, the most benefit is definitely not from the alcohol. If the alcohol was most the beneficial then why not drink hard liquor instead? If red wine is so good, why only drink one small glass a day? Because alcohol is generally bad for you. It dries out your innards, it penetrates the blood brain barrier and it makes it more permeable, it impairs cell functioning, it heavily burdens the liver, it impairs motor skills, it leads to a huge number of automobile related deaths and injuries, etc., etc.

If alcohol is so healthy why can its abuse lead to liver disease? The liver is what filter outs toxins from non-beneficial garbage like alcohol.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Dr. Oz is selling hokum he gives no sources, the most benefit is definitely not from the alcohol. If the alcohol was most the beneficial then why not drink hard liquor instead? If red wine is so good, why only drink one small glass a day? Because alcohol is generally bad for you. It dries out your innards, it penetrates the blood brain barrier and it makes it more permeable, it impairs cell functioning, it heavily burdens the liver, it impairs motor skills, it leads to a huge number of automobile related deaths and injuries, etc., etc.

If alcohol is so healthy why can its abuse lead to liver disease? The liver is what filter outs toxins from non-beneficial garbage like alcohol.
You need selenium, copper, etc but too much of those will hurt you also. There are a considerable number of studies that say mild alcohol use is good for you.

jbo

Original Poster

Forget Dr. Oz, what about the two dozen doctors and studies? Dr. Oz does nothing but report news really and it's old news that's been around for at least a decade. I can see some things being controversial, but having a hard time finding anything online indicating a glass of wine is bad for you. Probably spend too many hours searching and nothing but how good it is for you.

Most of the effects of alcohol that you mention don't seem to be moderate consumption. It's as if I tell people not to take vitamin C, because it will give you diarrhea or that eating 6 apples a day has been shown to lead to diabetes. Anything abused or over consumed is not healthy.

There's a wikipedia entry as well with the health effects of wine, which has links to the studies if you like to read more. You'll see the studies on bones, cancer, vision and things of this nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_wine

jfh

perpetual student
By the time you get enough resveratrol from the wine, you'd be drunk anyway.

Wouldn't it be nicer to just have a glass of brandy with creme de cacao (chocolate bean liqueur).

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
By the time you get enough resveratrol from the wine, you'd be drunk anyway.

Wouldn't it be nicer to just have a glass of brandy with creme de cacao (chocolate bean liqueur).

JFH, they have this stuff called Godet (sp?) it is a white chocolate liquor and although hard to find, you can find a rum cream. Both are awesome.

jfh

perpetual student
Most of the effects of alcohol that you mention don't seem to be moderate consumption. It's as if I tell people not to take vitamin C, because it will give you diarrhea or that eating 6 apples a day has been shown to lead to diabetes. Anything abused or over consumed is not healthy.
As an aside, and to dispute that too much fruit makes you diabetic, I once had dinner with LaDean Griffin (https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-Windows-Body-Ladean-Griffin/dp/0895570076/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295724855&sr=1-10) At the time, she and her family were fruitarians and only took rare breaks to eat hot cereal occasionally. She said that her teenagers had beautiful problem free skin. One of the other dinner guests asked her what did she do about her pregnancy. She said there was no problem at all. To get her milk flowing, she ate watermelon. I think she did this for only a few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarian

Some fruitarians include any plant that contains seeds on the inside, like avacado, cucumber, squash, etc., and can be eaten raw. Strawberries, by that definition, are not considered fruit.

jbo

Original Poster
As an aside, and to dispute that too much fruit makes you diabetic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarian

Some fruitarians include any plant that contains seeds on the inside, like avacado, cucumber, squash, etc., and can be eaten raw. Strawberries, by that definition, are not considered fruit.
Had no clue....
Thanks for that info, appreciate it :) High sugar levels won't make you diabetic then?

jfh

perpetual student
Had no clue....
Thanks for that info, appreciate it :) High sugar levels won't make you diabetic then?
Yes it will, but fruit is a whole food. Most fruit offer a substantial amount of fiber which has been shown to decrease the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. It's fiber will make the sugar metabolize more slowly and move through the system faster. Does sugar make you diabetic anyway? Doesn't fat? If you are already diabetic or prediabetic, you have to be more aware of all sugar.

pinballdoctor

Isn't there study after study from doctor after doctor indicating the benefits of drinking one glass of wine a day.
Most doctors are wrong more often then right.

The benefit is in the resveratrol, which is in the grapes used to make the wine. The darker the grapes, the more antioxidants and phytonutrients.

To say "Alcohol in any amount is not healthy", is this simply your gut feeling or do you have any study or any real information
Alcohol kills brain cells, liver cells, and heart cells, since the blood is pumped through the heart every few minutes. The stronger the alcohol, the more the damage.
As stated earlier, alcohol is fermented sugar, thus damages the immune system, and spikes blood glucose level, which in turn spikes insulin. (Beer also contains brewers yeast, which is a fungus).

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Wine of any kind gives me a headache. take 2 Resveratrols a day - after meals.

Red wine is hangover material. Even some beers can hit you hard. The rest of the world produces clean beers though. Canadian beers are hangover free.

jbo

Original Poster
decided to purchase Resveratrols, since everybody wants everything in a pill instead of from food and decide I'll just wash it down with vodka to get the same effect.

If you guys are getting hangovers, your probably drinking more than a glass or have an issue with alcohol that you should probably avoid. Alcoholism can be genetic and everybody reacts differently. A lot of Asians are actually allergic to alcohol, which wasn't really well documented a few years ago. A single drink can turn a person bright red if they have an allergic reaction to alcohol.

I'm just going to continue drinking my red wine on the weekends instead of everyday, mostly because of the calories. I have zero intrest in replacing red wine with a pill, just like I have zero intrest in taking green tea extract instead of drinking green tea.

jfh

perpetual student
since everybody wants everything in a pill instead of from food
Unless you grew up in France, where even children drink wine at dinner (highly diluted with water), you won't get enough resveratrol with any food or wine. Resveratrol exists in more that just red wine. You have to take a supplement for a while to get any benefit. Quantity is key. Same as echinacea. Little bit won't help.