Diabetes type 2 - an inflammatory disease

jfh

perpetual student
New research published in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology suggests that macrophages invade the diabetic pancreas, producing large amounts of cytokines that contribute to the elimination of insulin-producing beta cells

As people's waistlines increase, so does the incidence of type 2 diabetes. Now scientists have a better understanding of exactly what happens in the body that leads up to type 2 diabetes, and what likely causes some of the complications related to the disease. Specifically, scientists from Denmark have found that in mice, macrophages, a specific type of immune cell, invade the diabetic pancreatic tissue during the early stages of the disease. Then, these inflammatory cells produce a large amount of pro-inflammatory proteins, called cytokines, which directly contribute to the elimination of insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas, resulting in diabetes. This discovery was published in the January 2014 issue of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology.

"The study may provide novel insights allowing development of tailor-made anti-inflammatory based therapies reducing the burden of type 2 patients," said Alexander Rosendahl, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work from the Department of Diabetes Complication Biology at Novo Nordisk A/S, in Malov, Denmark. "These novel treatments may prove to complement existing therapies such as insulin and GLP-1 analogues."

To make their discovery scientists compared obese mice that spontaneously developed diabetes to healthy mice. The mice were followed from a young age when the obese mice only showed early diabetes, to an age where they displayed systemic complication in multiple organs. Presence of macrophages around the beta cells in the pancreas and in the spleen was evaluated by state-of-the-art flow cytometric technology allowing evaluation on a single cell level. At both the early and late stages, the diabetic mice showed significant modulations compared to healthy mice.

"The more researchers learn about obesity and type 2 diabetes, the more it appears that inflammation plays a critical role in the progression and severity of these conditions," said John Wherry, Ph.D., Deputy Editor of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology. "This study sheds light on how a key inflammatory cell is connected to disease and what might go wrong when someone has type 2 diabetes. The knowledge gained from such studies offers hope that new immune-based therapies could be developed to mitigate the severity of such dieseases."

###
The Journal of Leukocyte Biology publishes peer-reviewed manuscripts on original investigations focusing on the cellular and molecular biology of leukocytes and on the origins, the developmental biology, biochemistry and functions of granulocytes, lymphocytes, mononuclear phagocytes and other cells involved in host defense and inflammation. The Journal of Leukocyte Biology is published by the Society for Leukocyte Biology.

Details: Helena Cucak, Lars Groth Grunnet, and Alexander Rosendahl. Accumulation of M1-like macrophages in type 2 diabetic islets is followed by a systemic shift in macrophage polarization. J. Leukoc. Biol. January 2014 95:149-160; doi:10.1189/jlb.0213075 ; https://www.jleukbio.org/content/95/1/149.abstract

d0ug

This research is interesting they must have found different diabetes than the rest of the world. Type two diabetes is called insulin resistant that means that the cell does not recognize insulin. Most all type two diabetics make more insulin than none diabetics.
Type one diabetic’s pancreas does not work. Type two diabetes pancreas work fine.

RodsHealth

This research is interesting they must have found different diabetes than the rest of the world. Type two diabetes is called insulin resistant that means that the cell does not recognize insulin. Most all type two diabetics make more insulin than none diabetics.
Type one diabetic’s pancreas does not work. Type two diabetes pancreas work fine.
Not when the disease progresses. My mother had type 2 diabetes but ended up having to have insulin injections. It starts off as insulin resistance, but goes downhill from there.

Ted_Hutchinson

It may help to look at the background to this story

Inflammation and insulin resistance

It would help resolve inflammation if we restored our anti-inflammatory reserves to the natural levels humans evolved to survive, while at the same time stopped adding to the pro-inflammatory burden by reducing consumption of foods known to boost inflammation.

Vitamin D3 works best as an anti inflammatory agent at 50ng/ml 125nmol/l.
Vit D3 requires the presence of magnesium to enable optimum production of it's active hormonal form whichis further enhanced by omega 3 DHA (and curcumin) both act as nutritional vitamin d receptor ligands.

Most diabetics would find it easier to control their condition if they took 5000iu/daily Vitamin D3, 400mg magnesium, 2g omega 3. and considered curcumin. Melatonin is another natural anti inflammatory agent commonely insufficient.

The main drives of inflammation are refined carbohydrates and omega 6 fats from vegetable oils and grain fed meat.

The good thing about this approach is that it shows Diabetes type 2 is a curable condition and the inevitable progression is totally avoidable.
There are plenty of people who have put aside the advice from "Official" diabetes educators and follow the approach of people like Diabetes Warrior Steve Cooksey who is showing by his own example how to CURE DIABETES.

d0ug

He does explain it in his lectures on his radio program and in his books. It was no secret Walter Mertz [the director of the USDA field services] show that chromium could eliminate type two diabetes.
University of Vancouver BC Canada stated that vanadium will replace insulin for adult onset diabetics

d0ug

The mineral chromium in the blood of people in 1948 was 28-1000 [u/l] in 1985 it was .13 [u/l] and less now. Has diabetes increased?
According to Richard Anderson USDA, 90% of American are deficient in chromium.
The concentration of chromium is higher in new born animals and humans than in later life. The baby steals chromium from the mother and this causes diabetes in pregnant women and disappears after birth.
Gary Evans, Bemidji State University Minnesota very clearly showed an increase life span in laboratory animals by 33.3 per cent when they were supplemented with chromium.

d0ug

If you think for one moment that all these pharmaceuticals scientists have the answer. I have some ocean front property in Alberta Canada for sale. They are paid by a group that doesn’t want the correct answer and they will produce so called science to prove it.
If some one was to have proof ten thousand people said that they where cured in any way it would not be legal unless it was by a drug. Personal testimonies are not legal and not recognized. I know personally people who have used Cr and cofactors had the A1c levels decrease.

Alzheimers in my opinion has everything to do with cholesterol it was very very rare 60 years ago to the number 5 killer that was the time that the medical system told everyone to decrease their cholesterol and stop eating fat. The brain is 75% cholesterol and the part that is affected by Alzheimers is 100% cholesterol. Even the FDA has now told the statin drug makes to put on the label side effects are diabetes and memory loss.
Anyone on a cholesterol restricted diet and taking statin has a 100% chance of Alzheimers in my opinion.

Ted_Hutchinson

If you think for one moment that all these pharmaceuticals scientists have the answer. I have some ocean front property in Alberta Canada for sale. They are paid by a group that doesn’t want the correct answer and they will produce so called science to prove it.
If some one was to have proof ten thousand people said that they where cured in any way it would not be legal unless it was by a drug. Personal testimonies are not legal and not recognized. I know personally people who have used Cr and cofactors had the A1c levels decrease.

Alzheimers in my opinion has everything to do with cholesterol it was very very rare 60 years ago to the number 5 killer that was the time that the medical system told everyone to decrease their cholesterol and stop eating fat. The brain is 75% cholesterol and the part that is affected by Alzheimers is 100% cholesterol. Even the FDA has now told the statin drug makes to put on the label side effects are diabetes and memory loss.
Anyone on a cholesterol restricted diet and taking statin has a 100% chance of Alzheimers in my opinion.
I agree with most of what you say. I too don't think health professionals or those that manage them will do or support anything to prevent Obesity, cancer, diabetes or Alzheomer's. I think it's up to us, ordinary folks to read the science, such as it is and come to rational conclusions and when we find something that helps to spread the word as best we can.

I think it's only common sense that if we are dealing with a condition that involves chronic inflammation we need to maximise our natural anti inflammatory reserves. Hence the need to raise Vitamin D3 25(OH)D to 50ng/ml and ensure it's able to work properly with effective amounts of magnesium, omega 3 supported by melatonin and maybe curcumin. But you also have to reduce the intake of those foods (refined carbohydrates sugars, omega 6 vegetable oils and intensively raised omega 6 high grain fed meats)
You'll never put out a fire if you keep feeding it with more inflammatory fuels.

d0ug

100% in agreement with what you are saying I also use all the minerals, vitamins, amino acids, fatty acids, and on top of that I use a few herbs that are beneficial. I also play around with PEMF, electrifying the blood, ozone, and colloidal silver when needed.
I keep my ORAC score as high as possible. I am 71 and have no pain or drugs and can out work most 40 year olds.