Could I get tetanus?

someguy

So I just cut my foot on a hammer sitting on the floor. It bled a bit but its fine now, it was just a small cut.. I cleaned it out with water but I dont have any hydrogen peroxide and I dont really want to use neosporin if I dont have to.

Could I get tetanus from this? The hammer was not rusty.. and as far as I know has never been on the ground outside or anything.. it was laying on my carpeted floor.

Am I just being a hypochondriac again? :)

someguy

Original Poster
Ok I just read this which was comforting:

"In fact, tetanus in general is rare in the United States and other nations with tetanus vaccination programs — fewer than 50 cases of tetanus are reported each year in the United States. However, many developing countries have less effective prevention and immunization programs against tetanus, so the disease is much more common there."

People are so afraid of it yet fewer then 50 cases a year in the whole US per year? seems like a very rare occurence then.. think about how many people cut themeselves on metal objects every year and only 50 or less get infected.. meh

Guess I just answered my own question

D Bergy

Unless you live on a farm, and have manure around, the likelihood of getting tetanus is pretty slim.

It does not come from rust. Horse manure is one of the more common sources of the disease.

Dan

jfh

perpetual student
Next time this kind of thing happens, remember raw honey or iodine if you do not have peroxide.