Blood Pressure and Lipid Guidlines for Seniors....Useless!

JanH

I'm 66 and type 2 diabetic. Just had a round of lab tests. My total cholesterol has gone up to 262, HDL was 36, LDL was 74. I know I'm going to have the statin battle with my doctor at Kaiser yet again.

d0ug

The naturophath doctors set cholesterol at 220-270 so you are still in range.
Some naturopath doctors are very good at making people x diabetics.
Statins now have a warning that they cause type two diabetics and dementia

liverock

I'm 66 and type 2 diabetic. Just had a round of lab tests. My total cholesterol has gone up to 262, HDL was 36, LDL was 74. I know I'm going to have the statin battle with my doctor at Kaiser yet again.
Jan,

From these figures your Triglycerides are very high,about 700 (over 4 times normal). High Tryglcerides in a diabetic is usually a sign of poor blood sugar control, they are also the main cause of artery clogging at any age.

Doctor will probably want to put you on fish oil tablets if your not on already and/or a fibrate drug. Fish oil might also help raise your HDL level. IMO you should listen to him unless you are prepared to drastically cut your carb intake. You need to get your levels down quickly.

https://www.omegavia.com/how-to-cut-your-triglycerides-in-half-without-lovaza-or-fish-oil-part-2/

Once you start getting your triglycerides lower you can help lower them further using chromium and biotin supplements.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17109595

JanH

My triglycerides are no where near 700!! I was surprised that my LDL was 74, the lowest it's ever been. I'm well aware that my blood sugar control is not as good as it used to be.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
My triglycerides are no where near 700!! I was surprised that my LDL was 74, the lowest it's ever been. I'm well aware that my blood sugar control is not as good as it used to be.
Cinnamon tea (2 sticks in a cup of water) heat to boiling, cut the heat off and let sit for 15 minutes. Drink 1/2 twice a day. Long FAST walks, garlic, olive oil, be careful with too many carbs. You will be fine.

liverock

This is the formula for calculating lipid components;

TC=HDL+LDL+(TRIGSX20%) which works out at 760 for TRIGS

If you dont believe me fill in the TC, HDL,LDL levels in this calculator and press the calculate button. It will give you the actual trigs level of 760 as well as the ratios between the various lipid factors and their risk factors. :cool:

https://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

JanH

Well, the Kaiser lab read my triglyceride level at 447, which is obviously way too high, but no where near 700!

liverock

Well, the Kaiser lab read my triglyceride level at 447, which is obviously way too high, but no where near 700!
Is there any other lipid readings such as VLDL or ILDL on the lab test because they will influence the interpretation. If your LDL has gone down from last time as you say, it could be that more LDL is being converted to VLDL which carries Triglycerides around the body.

JanH

No, Kaiser never has tested me for VLDL or ILDL. Their lipid panel consists of Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides.