Best Remedies for Type 2 Diabetes?

My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a couple years ago and he's been struggling a lot. He's of course taking pharmaceuticals to attempt to keep the blood sugar down, but lately they haven't been working. He's afraid that the doctor is only going to want to prescribe insulin injections and that his options are running thin. What are some natural remedies that seriously work?

He has seen a holistic doctor and both times she has been able to bring his blood sugar down and get him back on track, but I'm not sure what happens because it only lasts a few days or a week or two and then he's back to the blood sugar struggles. Now his diabetes is worse than it has ever been and it's concerning. It's super difficult to watch because he gets horrid headaches, doesn't feel well in his gut, and it's hard to do much because he doesn't usually feel well.

Lately, since we've all been ill and forgetting to take supplements, it could have set him back a bit. He usually takes Lugol's Iodine Solution in water and a tsp of Bragg's raw ACV in water. He did order "Sensolin," but it was left out in the heat one day when the mail carrier dropped it off. Inside the bottle heated up to 175 degrees F so we figured that must've destroyed a lot of the useful vitamins and it wasn't working for him, but he's been hesitant to order another bottle. We should've returned it, but didn't want to have to bother with shipping it back and everything and they assured us that the supplement wouldn't have been ruined by the heat.

His stress levels are off the charts...always...not sure how to even help him there (former child abuse victim).

At this point, he has lost quite a bit of weight, but he still has a lot to go. So, his blood sugar isn't coming down much at all, even with intermittent fasting and the weight just isn't falling off. Are there natural remedies that could possibly help with this?

I don't think gyms are open here right now and after being sick, there's been a lot less movement, of course. What exercises are best for diabetics? We used to go for walks in the evenings when it was warmer, but I'm not sure how much that even helped. It wasn't intensive - only a 20-30 minute walk every evening. I would think his exercise may need to be a bit more rigorous to help, but I could be wrong...

We have some CBD on the way - not sure how much it helps with diabetes, it seems like the information I'm trying to find in that area is limited, but he's willing to try whatever natural remedies that aren't going to give him the terrible side effects his medications do.

I really think that a grain free diet would help help (no wheat, corn, etc.) and elimination of high carb foods like rice or potatoes. A lot of the foods he grew up on and foods that are appropriate in his culture to enjoy are mostly high carb. While he has cut back a lot on these foods, he still eats quite a lot of wheat and corn and I think this is doing him in. He hates that he has to go without and I think he's been in denial about his diabetes...like serious denial. I think he's finally coming to terms that it's not going away any time soon. When he was first diagnosed, he would roam the store for quite a while trying to find "what he could have" and I would pretty much say that we shouldn't be in the frozen food aisle unless it was for veggies and need to stick to the outer edges of the store and he'd just get a little annoyed and keep browsing. It's only been recent that he's been trying to stay away from rice because he knows it doesn't help him at all. I remember once upon a time we went totally grain free and has a farm nearby that had a nice sized, good priced CSA share each week and he was a bigger guy still, but wasn't even pre-diabetic. He said he felt so great during that time period and I did as well. I'm discovering that I have issues with wheat - I itch terribly when I eat it and feel awful in my stomach. We both were feeling so awesome and I'm hoping to get to that point again where I feel good and I hope that he gets to the point where he feels good again and will avoid those foods completely again. He doesn't feel like he can "enjoy" food anymore.

He has extreme hunger cravings and I assume that's the stress and blood glucose issues. Generally, when I make dinner for everyone, it's never enough. He'll eat seconds, thirds, fourths. He waits until everyone is served and has had enough, but I rarely have leftovers to put away. He could eat dinner and be hungry 20 minutes later. It has costed us an awful lot of money when I make a family dinner and less than an hour later he's driving out to Taco Bell to buy dollar menu burritos. He is always apologetic about it and says he's sorry "but he's just sooo hungry." He says he's looking for something "cheap" to fill his gut so he doesn't put us in an even worse position buying more expensive menu items when he feels he has to go out and get more food (the get more for less type idea). We don't eat out nearly as much as we used to, it has been cut back a lot, but he'll still be eating plenty at home - it's cheaper, but still doesn't last as long as it should at times (we haven't been eating many places because we have plenty of food sensitivities in the family that inhibit us). Is there anything that can help him stomp the extreme hunger cravings? I figure he's not going to lose much weight when his appetite quite a few times seems like he's starving to death or something.

I don't want to keep seeing him go on like this and getting worse. I would love to see him get better and be more energetic again. It's breaking me to see him this way because I can tell it's hard on him and it's a real struggle :(

TL;DR : Need natural remedy suggestions for: Type 2 Diabetes, extreme hunger cravings, losing weight, and what the best exercises for diabetics are.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I don't have diabetes, but type 2 was prevalent in my immediate family and my glucose readings were getting higher years ago, although not diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I am not an expert at all and rarely see doctors, but I do use a lot of supplements in a preventive manner. With any supplements, especially those with health issues or are already taking prescription drugs, doctor's approval along with personal research of all side effects and drug interactions is mandatory for safety.

I have been taking Bitter Melon capsules, Chromium Picolinate capsules and once in awhile I buy Ceyon cinnamon caps and take those. My A1C has lowered since I was at the doctor years ago, I was tested at a Costco store, so I know I'm doing okay.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318386#benefits

Other than cutting back on sweets and carbs like bread and pasta, perhaps your husband can take a Metamucil product daily, Walmart sells an Equate brand that I use. They say it help with diabetes, gives a feeling of fullness and also helps in a gentle way with regularity. Just drinking a full glass of water before meals or when feeling hungry can help with the urges.

My sister is on diabetes meds, and my mother was on insulin shots until she finally died from a diabetic coma which lead to brain stem damage. I just want to avoid the meds and shots myself, but I do eat sweets and carbs, just try to limit my portions and not go crazy.

Original Poster
I don't have diabetes, but type 2 was prevalent in my immediate family and my glucose readings were getting higher years ago, although not diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I am not an expert at all and rarely see doctors, but I do use a lot of supplements in a preventive manner. With any supplements, especially those with health issues or are already taking prescription drugs, doctor's approval along with personal research of all side effects and drug interactions is mandatory for safety.

I have been taking Bitter Melon capsules, Chromium Picolinate capsules and once in awhile I buy Ceyon cinnamon caps and take those. My A1C has lowered since I was at the doctor years ago, I was tested at a Costco store, so I know I'm doing okay.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318386#benefits

Other than cutting back on sweets and carbs like bread and pasta, perhaps your husband can take a Metamucil product daily, Walmart sells an Equate brand that I use. They say it help with diabetes, gives a feeling of fullness and also helps in a gentle way with regularity. Just drinking a full glass of water before meals or when feeling hungry can help with the urges.

My sister is on diabetes meds, and my mother was on insulin shots until she finally died from a diabetic coma which lead to brain stem damage. I just want to avoid the meds and shots myself, but I do eat sweets and carbs, just try to limit my portions and not go crazy.
I totally forgot about the Chromium Picolinate capsules and Ceylon Cinnamon! Actually, a few years ago, I remember I bought a bottle of Chromium Picolinate (the Solgar brand) for my husband, and it lasted him a long time, but it brought down his blood sugar better than Metformin or Glipizide. Probably should order that again! I still have half a bag of Ceylon Cinnamon in the cabinet, but I may just buy the capsules and either do it myself or buy premade.

I never thought of Metamucil...I have never used that and I am not sure if he has, but I never like things I've heard about it. I wonder if there's just an organic alternative? I will look into Metamucil and possible other alternatives, too. At this point, if we can get the hunger down I think that's going to help him a lot. We've only tried good fats to combat the problem, but those only go so far it seems. We will look into it and see what works!

I'm glad that you were able to recognize when your blood sugar was starting to head the wrong way and fix it early. I'm sorry to hear about your sister and mother. :( I have a dear friend that has Type I and I feel awful for her, within the past few years she got diabetic retinopathy pretty badly. She can't see well and is nearly blind. She has a lot of eye appointments to try and save the last of the eyesight she has left.

Thing is, if this can be reversed, if this is so preventable then I'd hope that he could have a great success story. I don't want to see him have to poke himself with insulin shots each day. He already has to take his blood sugar results plenty.

He had a lot of blood sugar issues today. The struggle is real...

Will definitely look into these things! Thanks again :)

jfh

perpetual student
"only a 20-30 minute walk every evening" --- I'm impressed. I wish I had that motivation. My area would be great for walking. Many hills. And I would not be alone. I have so many neighbors who walk every day. I just can't push myself to spend that much time exercising. What a wimp! I do have a rebounder though. That's a mini-trampoline. I use it a couple of times a day while watching some TV. It's reputed to be the best and safest form of cardiovascular exercise. Unfortunately, I only have motivation for 5 minutes each time. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs 72 y/o. I've always been skinny (seriously), but have developed what I call a wheat belly. Dangerous, I know. I'm disgusted, but like most people, I can't seem to get serious about doing anything about it. I'm mostly disgusted with myself. My normal weight has been 140 for years.

I have an 80-year-old buddy who has developed type 2 diabetes a few years ago. He goes to doctors for hang-nails or a sneeze. Know what I mean? He has 5 doctors. He's a retired psychologist. He should be able to overcome unhealthy habits. He finally seriously decided to do something about his weight. He uses a treadmill. And he has used the Keto diet for 2 years. He's very proud now because he has come down in weight and keeps his sugar at a rewarding level. His wife is a big encouragement. But he still cheats when his wife won't know about it.

The bottom line in this is that we have to have discipline. We're grown-ups now. I keep saying that to myself. It doesn't seem to work most of the time. But I keep trying. You should too. Each year, the Mediterranean Diet wins as number one or at least number two in the contest with the DASH diet.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
never thought of Metamucil...I have never used that and I am not sure if he has, but I never like things I've heard about it. I wonder if there's just an organic alternative?
Psyllium husk is the more natural alternative. I have trouble swallowing pills so I open all my caps into orange juice with some other powder supplements and drink it that way. Thank you for the kind words about my mother and sister, I wish the best for your friend, our sight is so precious, it must be very frightening to lose it.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
"only a 20-30 minute walk every evening" --- I'm impressed. I wish I had that motivation. My area would be great for walking. Many hills. And I would not be alone.
I love walking outdoors in nature, luckily I have a large open area park near me where I walk the dog every day for around an hour. Honestly, if it wasn't for the dog though, I'd probably be too lazy to go daily....also, I don't like being around people on my walks, I like to be alone, especially now with the covid.

Reactions: jfh
Original Poster
"only a 20-30 minute walk every evening" --- I'm impressed. I wish I had that motivation. My area would be great for walking. Many hills. And I would not be alone. I have so many neighbors who walk every day. I just can't push myself to spend that much time exercising. What a wimp! I do have a rebounder though. That's a mini-trampoline. I use it a couple of times a day while watching some TV. It's reputed to be the best and safest form of cardiovascular exercise. Unfortunately, I only have motivation for 5 minutes each time. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs 72 y/o. I've always been skinny (seriously), but have developed what I call a wheat belly. Dangerous, I know. I'm disgusted, but like most people, I can't seem to get serious about doing anything about it. I'm mostly disgusted with myself. My normal weight has been 140 for years.

I have an 80-year-old buddy who has developed type 2 diabetes a few years ago. He goes to doctors for hang-nails or a sneeze. Know what I mean? He has 5 doctors. He's a retired psychologist. He should be able to overcome unhealthy habits. He finally seriously decided to do something about his weight. He uses a treadmill. And he has used the Keto diet for 2 years. He's very proud now because he has come down in weight and keeps his sugar at a rewarding level. His wife is a big encouragement. But he still cheats when his wife won't know about it.

The bottom line in this is that we have to have discipline. We're grown-ups now. I keep saying that to myself. It doesn't seem to work most of the time. But I keep trying. You should too. Each year, the Mediterranean Diet wins as number one or at least number two in the contest with the DASH diet.
Kind of sounds like me as far as exercise. I like to go outside and sit and get a little bit of sun and fresh air, but with kids - that's not always a possibility. I'm usually chasing them around =P

Yeah, discipline is hard. I have heard a lot of good about the Mediterranean Diet, but it's hard to get that stuff here. At least a low carb should be worthy.

Original Poster
Dont do strenuous exercise as it will make him more hungry and more tired and drops his immunity. Slow brisk walk is better. Cut down on meat. Avoid taking alot of fruits which are high in fructose.
This sounds like wise advice. Definitely the brisk walk thing because he seems to crash too hard if he works out for too long or it's too strenuous. Will definitely mention it to him.

Why cut down on meat? Are you referring red meats or all meats?

He avoids fruits like the plague, he knows they make him feel awful. Almost all of them (except for grapefruit, lemon, lime) mess up his blood sugar too badly. He has never been a huge fan of fruit anyway so I suppose this works out.