Best desk setup (ergonomics) Standing vs Sitting

someguy

Hey guys -

So I have a little office for my internet business.. I'm on the computer for many hours every day.. for years I sat with terrible posture, slumping over crappy office chairs, ended up with some mild back problems..

Ive learned the importance of ergonomics! My search for the perfect setup for healthy computer use - led me to buy a electronic raising/lowering desk (geek desk.com) its been great.. I can stand (I'm standing right now) and use the computer.. I feel more alert and no back problems what so ever.. of course standing still for prolonged periods of time isn't good for the body either.. but I find that the standing posture allows more freedom of movement and naturally end up moving around more then when your glued to a chair in a fixed position.

From my understanding.. really the most important point for keeping the spine/back healthy while working is to keep it moving.. any position is bad for the body once you hold it for a while.. we have many different fluid systems, blood, lymph, cerebrospinal fluid etc. moving through out the body and when you sit things slow down and get stuck in places causing poor circulation, fatigue, lack of creativity, stiffness.. so it seems to me, even if you buy a really nice ergonomic chair, it still encourages you to stay in a fixed position most of the time..

I actually just ordered a really expensive office chair, the Embody chair by herman miller (https://hermanmiller.com/Products/Embody-Chairs) its supposed to allow more freedom of movement and reduce circulation problems etc.. I tried it and it felt good.. a lot better then most of my chairs.. but over the last few days I realized, maybe I should just stand all day and scrap the idea of using a chair while working ever again! I mean, like I said, when you stand theres a lot less compressive forces and the circulation flows more freely and it encourages more movement.. Also, you can buy an under desk treadmill and walk at 1mph while you work so your body is moving and circulating properly. Im thinking of canceling my order of the chair, even though it might cost me a few hundred dollars just to do that.. which would be lame.

How do you guys setup your office/work environment? I suggest you all give standing a try!

someguy

Original Poster
Also - another useful thing to do is to download/setup some software to remind you to take a break every 15 minutes and stretch and move around.. this is some nice software for mac, https://www.dejal.com/timeout/ dunno about PC's but I know theres software out there.. really helps.. because.. for me anyway, I know its important to take breaks but sometimes you can get sucked into the computer and forget and a lot of time goes by..