Ask employee not to wear cologne?

someguy

Hey guys,

I run a small internet company / office.. with one employee.. He's started wearing cologne to work.. personally I hate the smell of such products and know they contain estrogenic compounds etc.

Obviously spraying them on your skin could cause issues but could just smelling them as well? Im assuming the answer is yes.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask my employee NOT to wear any cologne to work? After all its just me and him in a small office.. no need really.. but it feels like im telling him how to dress/live.. eh I suppose its fine, its my office.. but any thoughts?

jfh

perpetual student
People normally wear scents, if they want to attract someone. Perhaps he wants to attract you. ;)

This is one time you could tell a little white lie. I had a female office mate once who told me she had a minor allergic reaction to perfume. She said she would get headaches by the end of the day. It was no problem for me, because I did not wear any scents except for underarm deodorant. The problem was that we would have visitors to our office as we were software developers and had inter-company clients. Some of those people could leave a lingering fragrance. And you could smell that fragrance all the way down the hall.

someguy

Original Poster
LOL - its definitely not like that.. but thats funny :)

ill let him know nicely if it continues.. thanks guys lol

someguy

Original Poster
So.. do you think that smelling the cologne means the chemicals are having an effect on my physiology? I read a study that, they looked at one cologne and it had 7 different chemicals that interact with estrogen/testosterone. I dont wanna be anywhere near something like that and I cant believe people spray it on themeselves. Does smelling it mean im ingesting osme of it? Is it true that anytime you smell something your essentially abosorbing/ingesting tiny particles of it?

Thoughts?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
If you are worried about the health effects, I would not be. If he loads up on it like crazy, then say you have asthma and sometimes perfumes and strong smells can trigger an attack so could you please go light on it.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
So.. do you think that smelling the cologne means the chemicals are having an effect on my physiology? I read a study that, they looked at one cologne and it had 7 different chemicals that interact with estrogen/testosterone. I dont wanna be anywhere near something like that and I cant believe people spray it on themeselves. Does smelling it mean im ingesting osme of it? Is it true that anytime you smell something your essentially abosorbing/ingesting tiny particles of it?

Thoughts?
I think it is absorbed into your nasal passages and mucus membranes. Here's an article that tells of the dangers of chemicals used in artificial fragrances, perfumes, etc.

https://www.naturalnews.com/033634_fragrance_chemicals.html

EarlyBird

It's your office....just tell him it gives you a headache & is irritating to you!