Ascorbic Acid, Again, What is It Made From?

limitme

"Ascorbic acid is synthesized from glucose through a five-step process. Firstly, glucose, a pentahydroxy aldose, is reduced to sorbitol, which is then oxidized by the microorganism Acetobacter suboxydans. To selectively oxidize only one of the six hydroxy groups in sorbitol, an enzymatic reaction is involved. Treatment with propanone (acetone) and an acid catalyst then protects four of the remaining hydroxyl groups in acetal linkages. The unprotected hydroxyl group is chemically oxidized to the carboxylic acid by reaction with sodium hypochlorite (bleaching solution). Hydrolysis with acid then removes the two acetal groups. The removal then causes an internal ester-forming reaction to yield ascorbic acid. Each of the five steps has a yield larger than 90%."

From the wiki.
My question is, where do they get the glucose from? Can this be derived from gmo corn?

jfh

perpetual student
Glucose comes from starch. Several crops. Corn, rice, wheat, and even corn husks. So yes, it can come from a genetically modified crop.

Corn is getting expensive, due to use as ethanol, high fructose corn syrup, and hog feed. So, I suspect that other crops might be used, or you may find that your Vitamin C's will come from out of country sources.

I find it best to get my vitamin C from amla (Indian gooseberry). Are you comfortable with all that processing just to render ascorbic acid?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
As a chemist I will say this: Vit C is ok from the lab, but if you get it from amla or other natural sources, you get a fair amount of co factors that have a synergistic effect and make it more powerful.

Drack

As a chemist I will say this: Vit C is ok from the lab, but if you get it from amla or other natural sources, you get a fair amount of co factors that have a synergistic effect and make it more powerful.
I could say pretty much the same thing about all vitamins. There's nothing spooky about the supplements, but if you eat fruits or veggies that contain the same vitamins instead, you'll benefit much more, because of the (literally) thousands of different other cool ingredients they contain.

limitme

Original Poster
I could say pretty much the same thing about all vitamins. There's nothing spooky about the supplements, but if you eat fruits or veggies that contain the same vitamins instead, you'll benefit much more, because of the (literally) thousands of different other cool ingredients they contain.
I guess we can make a choice. God made vitamin C, like camu camu fruit, or man made C.

mommysunshine

This is a hard topic for me because I want my food to provide my nourishment and natural sources but vit. C and vit. E and all other vitamins made synthetically are so high that nobody could eat enough to have the same benefits. Orthomolecular doctors have been using synthetic for years with much success. I struggle with this so much because I hate synthetic and unnatural anything because many times after years and years of use the consumer is then made aware of how it has been found to be toxic after all.

jfh

perpetual student
For vitamin C to work properly, it requires bioflavonoids. Of course, whole food is best for this. If you want vitamin C to work properly for you, find supplements that include bioflavonoids, even if the vitC is synthetic.

Synthetic is very unstable in heat, moisture, and light. You must store it properly and hope that it was not damaged by these things during transport from vendor to your house. Remember that the delivery trucks are quite hot. It would be best to find it locally.